The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

The 1917 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross
Registrar for Daniel McMillan Chapter, N.S.D.A.R.1917

Stronghurst Graphic Dec.27, 1917 

LOCAL AND AREA HAPPENINGS: Denatured alcohol for your auto; don't let your radiator freeze-available at Lazear Drug Store. Mrs. Ben Mudd and daughters, Misses Vera and Marie, expect to leave for Des Moines and will spend Thanksgiving with Rex at Camp Dodge. The Loyal Ladies class of the Christian Church gave a handkerchief shower at the home of Mrs. Ralph Butler in honor of Mrs. Jennie Mizner who is soon to leave for the South where she expect to spend the winter. Miss Esther Curry came home from Monmouth College for Thanksgiving vacation. Remember the bazaar and supper to be given Dec.15th by the ladies of the M.E. church at the Red Cross rooms in Stronghurst. John Fordyce purchased a fine 140 acre farm owned by Geo. Brooks 4 miles southeast of Smithshire. William Rankin and his son Harry and Mrs. George Cooper left for Los Angles, Cal. where they will spend the winter. Mrs. R.E.Morse and her mother Mrs. Campbell also headed West to the same place ; her daughter, Helen is now at Los Angles attending school.

A large number of stockholders of the Perfection Tire and Rubber Co. from Raritan and vicinity took train No.17 for Fort Madison where they were the guests of the company for the day. E.O.Burg who went from Dallas City to the Rio Grande Valley country in Texas a few years ago writes that enormous profits are being made in that section from the production of broom corn. He states that he is buying broom corn from farmers at $350 a ton and that he has bought over 1 per cent of the entire broom corn crop of the U.S. A deal was closed by which Mr. John Fordyce disposed of his farm of 39 acres north of Stronghurst to Doug Wassom for $6,400. Mr. Fordyce purchased this farm about 12 years ago for $2,600 and the increase in value alone amounts to more than 12 per cent per annum on the original investment.Neat markers with the words "Keep to the Right" have been placed at the center of the intersections of the main traveled streets of the village, the purpose being to minimize the danger of auto collisions. A red lantern is kept burning on each marker during the night so drivers of vehicles may not run into them. A spirit of malicious mischief on the part of some one seems, however, to have prompted the overturning of the markers and smashing the lantern globes during the last few evenings. (Vandals at work in the village even in 1917!) Buy a can of plum pudding at Lovitt's grocery for Thanksgiving.

T.C.Knutstrom is in Minnesota looking after the shipment of a car of potatoes to this market. An advance gang of eight men in the employ of the Sinclair Oil Co. are digging the ditch for the new pipeline. They are using a ditching machine and making about two miles in three days which is pretty rapid work in comparison with old methods.Note from Dallas City: Mr. and Mrs. Sam Carothers visited several days in Stronghurst while Sam helped the proprietor of the light plant install a tractor engine to furnish the power temporarily for lighting until a more permanent plant can be decided upon to take the place of the one burned two weeks ago. If the people of our neighbor burg are wise, they will not waste any more time on a steam plant when they can get 24 hour service of the kind we have by tapping the Keokuk dam juice at Dallas City which is an authorized substation. (Dallas City is saying that Stronghurst needs to connect to this source for reliable power.)

Mr. and Mrs. H.S.Lant are the proud parents of a ten pound baby girl born to them last Sunday. Mrs. Charles Apt, who had the misfortune to fall down the cellar way at her home, has fully recovered and fortunately suffered no serious injury.

ITEMS FROM THE MEDIA RECORD: Mr. C.R.Pendarvis accompanied a shipment of cattle to Chicago. Mr. E.G. Lewis and S.N. Mathers sent 3 car loads of cattle to the same place. Mr. George Staley was over from Roseville and put a nice new roof on Mr. Dan Campbell's hotel.

SCHOOL NOTES FROM MEDIA: The Tom Thumb Wedding will be Dec.11th. Every child in the community between the ages of about 2 and 15 are requested to take part. Children of the first three grades have been working on mouth wipes and eye wipes for the Media Red Cross. (Even grade schoolers helped the war effort.) Mr. Alderton was called to his home in Canton, Mo., so Supt. A. L. Beall taught his room; he showed his educational lantern slides in the p.m. which were enjoyed by all. The Miles children have dropped out of school on account of moving to Galesburg soon; they will be greatly missed.

BURNED AT NIGHT: A fire which broke out at about 8 o'clock almost completely destroyed the interior of the big Main St. Garage occupied by J.M. Johnson. It burned off the roof and reduced to the junk eleven automobiles and most of the equipment of the establishment. It was one of the fiercest blazes which has visited the village for years, the combustible nature of much of the material reached by the flames including the tarred paper roof made the fire difficult to handle.

The fire had gained much headway before the alarm was given and on account of lack of organization amongst the fire fighters considerable delay was experienced in getting water playing on the blaze. There was a good supply of water in the water tower tank and plenty of pressure and after connection had been made with two hydrants, a deluge was soon pouring on the fire, and the danger of its spreading to adjacent properties was eliminated. In about half an hour the flames had been completely subdued, but the interior of the structure presented a scene of woeful desolation and ruin.

The origin of the fire is unknown, it having broken out in the loft over the repair shop in the southwest corner of the building. Mr. Johnson and Mr. Geo. Rush were both working in the forward end of the garage at the time and soon saw that the fire was making too rapid progress for them to over come alone and after giving the alarm devoted their attention to saving what property they could. The smoke and flames, however, drove them from the building before they had time to get out more than one or two of the autos in the forward end. The flames were subdued before they reached the interior of the office at the northwest corner and the contents of it was saved as were a number of new tires which were stored in a room above the office.

The garage was a brick structure, 30 x 72 feet and was owned by Mr. John Gould, who purchased it several months ago for Mr. Rhykerd when the latter retired from the garage business. We understand that the building was insured for $1800.Mr. Johnson estimates his loss at around $5000 with insurance covering probably 3/4 of that amount. He was fortunate not having any new autos in the building, his stock of Fords on hand being in the garage on Broadway which he recently purchased from Mr. Knutstrom and into which he was soon expecting to move.The following parties lost automobiles which were being housed and repaired: Guy Lanphere, Geo. Matthews, Frank Smith, John Salter, Reed Salter, Dr. Lauver, G.C. Rehling, J.E.Duncan and Mr. Booten.

***OBITUARY***ROBERT E. VEECH: Robert Elliot Veech, son of John B. and Cynthia (Saunders) Veech, was born in Shelby County, Kentucky Sept.30, 1848 and died at his home south of Stronghurst Dec.20, 1917, aged 69 years, 2 months, and 20 days. At the age of nine years he moved with his parents to Scotland County, Missouri. A few years later he came to Henderson County, Ill. where he spent the remainder of his life.On June 8, 1877 he married Nancy A. Bainter and to this union were born four children: Frank Veech of Gladstone; Mrs. Ellis Roberts, Percy Veech and Mrs. Earl Brokaw who live near the old home. He is also survived by four grandchildren. The remaining members of his father's family are Mrs. Helen Stanley of Anthony, Kan.; Mrs. Sarah Curry of Canon City, Colo., and Mrs. Grace Crosler of Galesburg, Ill. Two sisters preceded him in death.Mr. Veech was among the earlier settlers of the South Prairie and his unfailing energy and perseverance helped in a great measure to develop the land, making hardships fewer for those who came later. He was a quiet, unassuming nature and a man of unerring judgment and excellent business ability. Although he had been in failing health for more than a year, he never complained and few people realized the seriousness of his condition. He had been about his work as usual just the day before his death, which came as a shock even to the immediate relatives. Death was caused by an arterial disease. Funeral services were conducted at the home with interment in the village cemetery.

***OBITUARY***MRS. G. HENRY ANNEGERS: Mrs. Annegers died at her home three miles west of Stronghurst on Dec.22nd at 12:30 p.m at the age of 80 years, 4 months and 29 days. Her last illness was of but short duration and death came suddenly. Anna H.M Pahlmann was the youngest daughter of Herman and Maria (Elting) Pahlmann. She was born in Badbergen, Hanover, Germany and was the last surviving member of a family of seven children. At the age of fourteen years she united with the Lutheran Church and to this faith always adhered. She came to America in the company with her eldest sister Margaretha Pahlmann in Sept. 1866. On Jan.16, 1867 she married G. Henry Annegers and to this union five children were born: Mrs. E.E. Mark; George H. Annegers and Mrs. F.R.Smith of Stronghurst; Mrs. C.J.Artz of Burlington, Ia.; and William C. Annegers of Princeville, Ill. who with the husband are left to mourn her loss. She is survived by three grand children: Herbert A. Annegers; Frances V. and Howard A. Smith of Stronghurst...Funeral services were conducted at the family home with interment in the Stronghurst Cemetery.

NEW SCHOOL HOUSES: J.W.Hicks has contracts to build two $3,500 school houses down in the drainage district opposite of Burlington. An election was held and a proposition to issue bonds to the amount of $7,000 was carried and the means were thus provided to erect the new buildings under the provisions of the new state law. They will be supplied with basements, heating plants and other modern equipment. One of them is being erected about a mile and a half east of the old Carthage Lake Club house and the other not far from the Crystal Lake Club house. The reclaiming of this land has brought in many new families in that section and the new buildings are being provided to care for the educational interest of the children. Miss Mary Hicks is the teacher in the district, but school has been discontinued until the first new building can be made ready for occupancy.

***OBITUARY***GUS PETERSON- After many months of suffering Gus Peterson passed away at the Watertown Hospital last Monday. Axil August Peterson was born in Sweden July1863, and died at Watertown, Ill. Dec.24, 1917, aged 54 years, 5 months and 9 days. He came to this country at the age of nine with his parents and two brothers and settled in Macomb, Ill. and lived for many years in McDonough County. Fifteen years ago Gus came to Stronghurst where he spent the remainder of his life excepting the two years he has been at the hospital in Watertown.

He was married at Albia, Iowa, on Sept.18, 1901, to Miss Minnie Trumps who survives him along with one brother. The deceased became a member of the Christian Church at Old Bedford in 1893 and has kept the faith and was true to his professing during the intervening between his initiation into the Kingdom and the time of his death. He placed his membership with the Stronghurst Christian Church after he came here and has held numerous places of responsibility therein..Mr. Peterson's remains arrived here and the funeral services were conducted at the Christian Church with interment in the village cemetery.

***HANNAH J.FOOTE*** Hannah J. Foote died in Oquawka Sunday morning at the home of Mrs. Gibson where she has been staying for several months after having a stroke of paralysis on Friday evening from which she never rallied. They brought her body to Gladstone Sunday afternoon to her own home and the funeral was held at half past one o'clock. The body was taken to the Stronghurst Cemetery for burial.

Hannah was the daughter of Frank and Virginia Foote and was born in 1851 in Henderson County. She was 66 years old and has lived most of her life in this and surrounding country. She leaves three brothers, Ira, Tunis and Grove Foote of Stronghurst and two sisters, Mrs. Potter of Western Iowa and one sister in Canada.

LOCAL AND AREA HAPPENINGS: A son was born to Mr. and Mrs. Paul VanArsdale Dec.17th. Lorenzo Foote came home from Camp Grant to spend Christmas and Rex Mudd is home from Fort Dodge. The W.C.T.U. meets Tuesday with Mrs. B.G.Widney. Miss Mabel Jones, a student at Western College, Oxford, Ohio, is home for the holidays. Miss Leone Burrell, a student at Brown's Business College at Galesburg is spending Christmas at home. Rolland Harvey enlisted in the army at Burlington and was sent to Jefferson Barracks in St.Louis. The snow has all disappeared and the farmers are finishing their corn gathering. The stork left a fine baby girl at the home of Mr. And Mrs. C.W.Johnson 2 miles north of Olena Thursday morning. Mr. and Mrs. C.E.Peasley pleasantly entertained a party of about 30 young people at their home Christmas Eve in honor of their son Gene who was home for the holidays. The sum of $105 has been contributed during the past two weeks by the congregation and Sabbath School of the Stronghurst U.P.Church for the suffering Armenians and Syrians.

The parties that stole the stove wood and did some other mischief are known and probably will be dealt with by the law in the near future; Mr. Woodward is getting tired of such pranks as those of Saturday night! Chas. Fort, who is a top sergeant in the Depot Infantry Brigade at Camp Custer, Michigan, enjoyed a holiday furlough with his parents and assisted in the program given by the U.P.Sabbath School Monday evening. Winifred Drew of Stronghurst won second spelling 174 words correctly at the annual county spelling contest in Biggsville. Mabel Hoskins of Oquawka won first place spelling 175 and Lester Curtis of Lomax came in third with 173 words spelled correctly. Erman Dodds, who has been at the naval training station near San Franciso since early last summer, returned home; all the boys who return from the training camp are in the pink of physical condition and Erman says the treatment they receive could not be better. Guy Hulet was severely hurt by a horse jamming him against the manger; he is unable to use his left arm yet and it is badly wrenched and sprained. The shoulder bone is slightly fractured, but Dr. Wells thinks he will be all right in a few days. Messrs. C.R.Kaiser & Son have accepted a local agency of the National Surety Co. of New York. This enables Mr. Kaiser to arrange the execution of fidelity, court contract and other forms of surety bonds protected by the company's $8,000,000 capital and surplus. The furnace at the public school was out of commission for a few days.

MEDIA: Miss Anna LaVelle is spending her vacation at the home of her father, Mr. John LaVelle. The trial before Justice Drain to decide what damaged should be awarded to Mr. George M. Foote to pay him for land taken for fences and for damages in case the proposed private and public road was opened across his lands was held in Media. The proposed road would run directly west of the Irons corner to the road running south of Stronghurst. A number of citizens of Media and Raritan Townships are petitioning and assisting in the attempt to open the road. It is understood that Mr. Foote will appeal the jury's verdict in which case it will be sometime before the case is settled.

OLENA: Quite a number are indisposed with colds and other chronic ailments, but the village school will not take a vacation at the present time. Mr. and Mrs. Jesse Lyons gave a dinner to their children and grandchildren in honor of their 44th wedding anniversary. Mr. Gid Bailey has been delivering new Fords to Oscar Schroeder, Lewis Dalton and Elbridge Fort. Mr. and Mrs. Will Hicks and son surprised Mr. and Mrs. Green Fryrear of Oquawka in honor of their 40th wedding anniversary. Mr. Evans is taking treatment of a Burlington physician for cancer and is making but slow improvement. A young daughter is reported at the Charles Waterman home in Hopper.

GLADSTONE: Will Morse, Linn Galbraith, Harry Warner and Lou Lox, all soldiers at Camp Dodge, were home for the holidays. Mrs. George Jacobs is very ill and Dr. W.P.Krichbaum of Burlington was called to council with Dr. Ditto over her case; she is improving slowly. A full house attended the Christmas entertainment and tree at the hall given by the Gladstone High School. An oyster supper at Bryan's hall was enjoyed by all the soldier boys from Camp Dodge and their friends and relatives.

OQUAWKA: Mrs. Maude Cooper, principal of the public school and Miss Mabel Hoskins, one of her pupils, left to attend the state spelling contest at Springfield. Private Truman Ricketts of Ft. Bliss, Texas, is home on a short furlough visiting his parents. Clarence Delabar of Great Lakes is home on a five day furlough. Privates Clyde Chapin, John Cope, George Johnson and Ernest Weigand of Camp Dodge are home for the holidays.