The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

The 1917 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross
Registrar for Daniel McMillan Chapter, N.S.D.A.R.1917

Stronghurst Graphic, Dec. 20, 1917 

INCOME TAX HELP: The collector of Internal Revenue, E.D. McCabe, a federal income tax officer, will be in this county at the sheriff's office at Oquawka Feb.4-8 and at the post office in Stronghurst Feb.9-13, 1918. He is ready and willing to help persons subject to the income tax make out their returns without any cost to them for his services.

How many income tax payers will there be in Henderson County? If you can guess how many married persons living with wife or husband will have net incomes of $2000 or over and how many unmarried persons will have net incomes of $1,000 or over this year, then you know. The collector estimates there will be 1350 tax payers in this county...

A NOVEL CONTEST: A number of lads of the M.E. church Sunday school enjoyed a wienee roast at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Art Mills north of town Monday evening. The feast was provided by the men's class of the Sunday school who gave it as the reward for the success of the youngsters in securing increased attendance at the Sunday school. An automobile contest is now in progress from San Francisco to New York. A new attendant at the school counts for five miles on the route and a strong rivalry among the classes prevails. Up to date the pupils of Mrs. George Dixson's class are said to be in the lead. Under the terms of the contest the class first reaching certain important cities are entertained by other classes. A week ago last Sunday the attendance reached 209 and the contest is proving productive in increased interest and attendance.

ALEXANDER MAINS GOES TO HIS REWARD: Alexander Mains, one of the pioneer residents of Henderson County, passed away at the Galesburg hospital yesterday morning about 8 o'clock, death resulting from the infirmities of old age. About two months ago he underwent an operation with very encouraging results, for it appeared that a trouble with which he had been battling for the past four years had been completely cured. But he became so weak from the long struggle that he was unable to survive and death came to him as a sweet relief.

Alexander Mains was the son of John and Fannie Mains and was born in Washington County, N.Y., June 20, 1833. When he was an infant, the family moved to Ohio and in 1839 came west and settled near Olena in this county. When but sixteen years Alexander Mains joined his brother in the business of prairie breaking and helped the father purchase the farms now owned by Ed Brewer and Charles Curry extending from the corner at the Watson Cemetery to Olena. In 1859 Mr. Mains married Miss Mary J. Nichols, a daughter of Thomas and Lavina Nichols, who owned and resided on the farm now owned by A.R.Brooks. To this marriage three sons were born, Harry, who died in 1877, J.F. who now resides at Knoxville, and T.N. who lives in Chicago.

Mr. Mains was one of the first members of the United Presbyterian Church at Olena and transferred his membership to Stronghurst when the congregation was organized here. The wife and mother departed this life in 1887.

Mr. Mains was one of the first to engage in business in Stronghurst after the new town was started but did not continue in business long on account of failing health. For the past 24 years he had made his home in alternating periods with the families of his two sons. He was a man of generous impulses and could always be relied upon to take his stand on the side of right...He was one of the moving spirits in the town during its earlier days and helped cheerfully with his time and means to promote the interests of the community. His death marks the passing of one of the last of the early settlers of this section.Funeral services will be conducted by Rev. K.R.Anderson at the United Presbyterian Church in Stronghurst with interment in the family lot at the cemetery north of Olena.

NEIGHBORHOOD NOTES: Eleven people took the civil service examination at Monmouth and those who pass a satisfactory grade will probably receive appointments to fill positions as stenographers in the government service at Washington where it is that 10,000 people are wanted to help handle this department of the government's business.

A class of young men of the Bushnell Presbyterian church raised $135 for the purchase of a lung motor to be used in the town when emergency requires. The Central Illinois Pubic Service Co. is building a transmission line from Keokuk through Carthage and Macomb to Bushnell. This will give these towns continuous service both for light and power. Dr. G.V.Conn of LaHarpe got in a friendly scuffle with some friends on a slippery walk and falling to the sidewalk broke both bones in one leg just above the ankle.

1892 GRAPHIC: J.W.McKee and Mrs. Bertha Breisford were married in the Stronghurst U.P. Church in the presence of a packed crowd. John Smith, a smooth crook, who had been employed by several farmers in this vicinity, was arrested on the charge of stealing a set of harness from Rev. S.P.Montgomery, a saddle from Walter Dobbin, and other articles from various other people. The Geo. W.Evans Post 695 G.A.R. elected the following officers: Post Commander, Geo. J. Morgan; S.V.C., A.H. Silsbee; I.V.C., H. Pollock; Adj., Geo. Vernon; Q.M., Ira Putney; Surgeon, J.B.Lant; Chaplain, Geo. Deitrick; O.D., Webster Cassell; O.G., N.W. Adams; S.M. Wm. Gillispie; and Q.M., Si Parsons. J.E.Painter and Miss Ida Kimball were married at the home of the bride in Terre Haute on Dec.14th. Editor L.I. Hutchins of the Henderson County Democrat published in Oquawka had just purchased in interest in the Keithsburg News.

ROBERT VEECH DEAD: R.E. Veech was found dead in bed Thursday morning at his home 4 miles southeast of Stronghurst. Although subject of late to sudden attacks of heart trouble, he had not been confined to his home by illness and was a visitor in this village on the day preceding his death.

CHARMED LIVES: Floyd Clark, Joe Hoffiditz and Virgil Putney had a somewhat thrilling experience. They were passing the residence of Antone Nelson, two miles west of town in an automobile and Floyd was doing the driving. The steering gear was out of condition and when running at a high rate of speed the wheels ran up on the bank and the car turned completely over. The car not only turned over but turned around facing the east. The engine was still running and the car was not seriously damaged except that an axle was sprung. Not one of the occupants received any injury. Joe Hoffiditz was thrown a distance of about twenty feet but got off without a scratch.

BROUGHT A BIG PRICE: Edward Links sold the southwest quarter of Sec.19 in Township 8 north, 4 west to J.W.Stine for $34,000. There are 150.78 acres in the tract, which makes the price at which it sold per acre, $225.50. This quarter section was the first tract of land bought by the late John Stine who afterwards acquired large holdings of real estate in the same neighborhood.

LOCAL AND AREA HAPPENINGS: C.G.Richey returned from Winnipeg, Canada, where he was looking after business interests. He reports business conditions there improved in comparison with what they were a few months after the war began. He spent Sunday with his son Ross at Jolliette, N.D. W.L.Churchill of Phillipsburg, Kansas, stopped to see his old friend, Fred Gray. They became acquainted while both were students at Kansas City a number of years ago. Mr. Churchill is the sheriff of his county and had been to Chicago on official duties. The teachers and pupils of the first eight grades of the public schools contributed the sum of twenty dollars to the Syrian and Armenian sufferers. (Children during this time period were admonished to clean their plates at meals for the Armenian were starving and they should not be wasteful.) Douglas Prescott, Del Dixson, James Brown, Raymond and Margie Thompson and Miss Robinson and Prof. Alderton of Media went to Galesburg to hear the Great Lakes Naval Training station band and Julian S. Nolan speaker for the war savings committee for Illinois. Wilbur Galloway, a former hardware merchant in Stronghurst, but now a resident of Kansas City, was renewing acquaintances. Mr. Galloway, his father, W.H. and brother Emmet are engaged in the oil business and are selling stock and developing a field at Eldorado, Kansas. His brother Bruce is now a practicing physician at Waterloo, Iowa.

Two cars of emergency coal arrived here and on the following day 125 empty fuel bins in the village had been replenished to the extent of a half ton each. Although the coal was not of extra quality and cost an extra dollar per ton at the cars and a dollar a ton for delivery, there was little disposition manifested by the purchasers to grumble, it being a case of squeeze or freeze. Mrs. Della Yeomans, former superintendent of schools, is in the Burlington Hospital where she has undergone an operation. Rolla Mudd now holds a good position with the International Harvester Co. at Chicago. Word from the Watertown hospital is to the effect that Gus Peterson has been transferred to the consumptives ward and his condition is serious. Little Everett Wessell who under went an operation for appendicitis at St. Mary's Hospital in Galesburg four weeks ago is there making a brave fight for his life. Mr. Jim Heaps and son and Mr. Ivan Gibson went to Monmouth and the two boys brought back four sheep that they got from the sheep club there.

GLADSTONE GLEANINGS: The high school will give an entertainment and have aXmas tree at Bryan's Hall; everyone is invited to come. Mr. Fred Anderson went to Chicago with stock. Rev. Mr. Whitmore from Abingdon, Ill. is to be the new U.P. minister here and at South Henderson; he will move his family here soon into the parsonage. Mr. Jo Robbins had his restaurant and store broken into before daylight and some goods taken. Sheriff Knox and a man with blood hounds were here to see if they could find the guilty party; this is the second time the store has been entered by thieves this season. Mr. Fishel loaded his household effects and moved to Icola, Ill.

OQUAWKA OCCURRENCES: Mr. and Mrs. Robert Trimble, Jr. are the proud parents of a baby daughter. W.H.Webb has resigned his position here as overseerer of the Alexander Lumber Co. and will move to Aledo soon to work for the same company there. Mrs. Ella Shawley and Mrs. J.W.Grahm of Monmouth and Mrs. LaVerne White of Joliet are called here by the death of their mother, Mrs. C. Stubbs north of town. Mrs. Stubbs died suddenly Monday morning; interment will take place in Rozetta Cemetery. Robert McDill, overseer of the county farm, sold six hogs that weighed about 411 pounds each at 20 cents a pound which brought him $494.

OBITUARY*** Mrs. Alice Linkfelter passed away Thursday morning after an illness of several years. Alice France was born in the vicinity of Oquawka and lived here all of her life until a few years ago when she moved to Keithsburg. Some 27 years ago she married James Linkfelter and to this union were born five children: Mrs. Myrtle Knox, Mrs. Ethel Robbins, and Chas. all of Keithsburg and Mrs. Hazel McWilliams of Oklahoma; one daughter died in infancy. Mr. Linkfelter died about three years ago. The following brothers and sisters are left to mourn: George, Henry, Peter and James France all of this place; Mrs. Sarah Louck, Mrs. George Mills of this place; and Mrs. Thomas Maley of Arizona. Mrs. Linkfelter has been ill and helpless for several months and of late has been cared for by her sister, Mrs. Sarah Louck. Funeral services were held at Baptist church and interment in the Oquawka Cemetery