The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

The 1918 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross
Registrar for Daniel McMillan Chapter, N.S.D.A.R.1918

Stronghurst Graphic, Jan. 17, 1918 

WORST STORM IN 30 YEARS: A temperature of 28 degrees below zero, a blizzard exceeding in fury and violence any which has visited this section in many years and which piled the snow in hard drifts which choked the public highways, filled the railroad cuts and suspended traffic for a period of 24 hours or more thus paralyzing business generally. This will mark the past week as memorable for years

Added to the inevitable discomfort and suffering of the storm was the complete exhaustion of the fuel supply in many homes in Stronghurst at the time when conditions were at their worst thus making the situation a desperate one. But for the fact that some of those who had a supply of coal or wood on hand were willing to loan enough to their unfortunate neighbors to tide them over there would no doubt have been some tragic results to record.

The promised arrival by Friday evening of a car of coal which had been purchased weeks ago by the school board for use at the school and which had been lying in the C.B.& Q. Yards at Galesburg for several days awaiting transfer to the Santa Fe was looked forward to with hope by those who were out, arrangements having been made to have part of this car distributed amongst these people. But alas, the car failed to came and on Saturday morning the word came that it was still in the humps in Galesburg and on account of the storm, no promise could be made of any coal except for company use. A part of a car of screenings shipped for the use of the electric light plant was standing on the track and this was doled out in small quantities.(While a poor substitute for the same price, no protests were heard.)

The tie up of railway traffic by the storm was undoubtedly the most complete and extended of any which has occurred on the Santa Fe in this section since the road was built. No mail was received between Friday evening and Monday morning and travelers caught away from home experienced all sorts of difficulties. The school boards car of coal arrived on Wednesday and all but 7 or 8 tons were doled out to 60 families and businesses. It is hoped that two or three more coal cars are in transit. The village school was closed for first three days of the week on account of the exhaustion of the fuel supply. The board was criticized for reserving a portion of the coal, but they felt the immediate needs had been met and more coal would be arriving soon.

ANNUAL MEETING OF STATE BANK: The State Bank of Stronghurst held its annual meeting and the stockholders re-elected the old board of directors as follows: G.Henry Annegers, Frank Crenshaw, C.H.Curry, C.H.Davis, Wm. Hartquist, I.F.Harter, J.E.Painter, J.W.Stine, and W.C.Tubbs. The board then re-organized by re-electing all of the old officials: Chairman of the board, G. Henry Annegers; President, Frank Crenshaw: V-President, G.Henry Annegers and C.H. Curry; Cashier, C.R.Kaiser; Ass't Cashier, D. Prescott; Bookkeeper, A.F.Kaiser. The board manifested their satisfaction with the management of the bank by voting a substantial increase in salary of the entire office force. This popular bank has deposits of over a half million and resources amounting to $800,000. Its rapid growth is also shown by the fact that its business has practically trebled during the past 10 years.

WRECK AT KNOXVILLE: A serious wreck occurred on the C.B.& Q., a half mile west of the depot in Knoxville about 3 pm. last Friday morning in which two men, Walter Weber-fireman and Albert Olson-brakeman, residents of Galesburg, were killed. One engine was on the switch out not in the clear and was struck by another train running in the same direction. The wreck was occasioned by the fierce storm then raging. The track was badly torn up and traffic was delayed for several hours.

OBITUARY***MRS. FRANK FORBES*** Mrs. Frank Forbes died at her home in Kansas City Wednesday of last week. Mr. Forbes and his son Leroy left there with the body Thursday night and succeeded in reaching Gladstone Saturday afternoon. The remains were taken to Oquawka and the funeral was held Sunday forenoon. Mr. Forbes and his son came down on Monday to visit his brother, Charles.

***ROBERT DAVIDSON*** Robert R. Davidson, a well known resident of Kirkwood, died at his home Monday of last week. He had served as a bank cashier in Kirkwood for a number of years and was a Civil War veteran. He was 75 years of age.

BIG SNOW PLOW: A big snow plow that must have borne some resemblance to the tanks on the Marne passed east over the Santa Fe. It was mounted on trucks and had a scoop front and wings at the side that folded in like elephant's ears. Two engines pushed it, one of them a monster mogul. The snow was thrown to both sides and the engineer said the drifts they encountered were easily disposed of. The concern was 46 12 feet long and weighed 75,500 pounds.

PROFESSIONAL CARDS IN THIS ISSUE: (This listing shows you that Stronghurst was an up and coming community in 1918) I.F.Harter, Physician and Surgeon; E.E.Bond, Physician and Surgeon, Dr. W.H.Wells, (successor to Dr. H.L.Marshall); D.R.I.Findley, Dentist; Kenneth E. Yoakam, Registered Optometrist; W.C.Ivins, Attorney at Law; J.W.Gordon, Attorney at Law; Safford & Graham, Lawyers; Albert S.McElhinney, Auctioneer; James Sutliff, Broadway Livery Barn

1893 GRAPHIC: S.D.Parsons and H.G.King had just purchased the Kirby brothers' meat market in Stronghurst and opened for business. The residence of Chauncey Whiteman, southwest of Biggsville burned to the ground on Jan.16th. The Stronghurst Knights of Pythians held their first meeting in their new lodge room over Dunsworth Bros. Store. No.3 on the California Limited Santa Fe train wrecked near Revere, Mo. on Jan.17th and a waiter in the dining car was pinned down by the wreckage of the coach and cremated alive. Ex-President R.B.Hayes died at his home at Fremont, Ohio on Jan.17th.

Billy Higgins, Dan Waters and John Block were being confined in the Warren County jail awaiting developments in the celebrated Rankin murder case. (Here is the explanation of this item from the Oquawka Spectator Dec.7, 1892)

"Is It Solved?" The Mystery of Robert Rankin's Disappearance. Bill Higgins Makes a Startling Statement

"Newspaper readers will readily call to mind the mysterious disappearance of Robert H. Rankin of Monmouth, who was last seen Feb.17, 1892. He was going to Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, on business, but his ticket was not used beyond Burlington. A friend rode with him as far as Biggsville so it is positively known that he went that far. A cap like the one he wore and bearing the name of a Monmouth firm was found floating in the river some days later and Rankin's friends suppose he was murdered or drowned. There was no other reason for his disappearance as he was a man of good habits and his business affairs were in good shape. His relatives have made every effort to discover his whereabouts or learn his fate, but without success.

There is confined in the Henderson County jail one Bill Higgins, charged with destroying boats belonging to Dan Waters and Fred Bonva and assault with deadly weapon on Harry Eisfeld. Higgins lived in East Burlington and deputy sheriff Martin has been trying to get as much out of him as possible concerning several highway robberies that have been committed on Henderson County people in that vicinity. Higgins has been restless and uneasy for some time past, and finally admitted that he knew what became of "that Monmouth man." He said Dan Waters and two associates killed him and came for him (Higgins) to help bury him.

It was the intention of the men to bury him in a cave or cellar where a cabin had stood on Big Island, 2 miles south of the Burlington bridge.(would be the railroad bridge) Higgins says he did not go with them. His skiff was at their disposal, but he thought from its appearance the next morning that it had not been used for conveying a body. Officers have located and examined the supposed place of burial on the island, but as yet have not been able to find the unmarked grave. They are after the two alleged accomplices in the murder, and news of their capture is confidently expected soon.

Dan Waters was a resident of this place for awhile but has since been living at East Burlington. (Gulfport) He came up here last week with the intention of moving here if he could find a house and was arrested and sent to jail. He is a badly scared man, but swears he is innocent of having had anything to do with Rankin's disappearance.

Many people would like to know whether Higgins' confession is a work of his imagination or a recital of fact. The officials will sift the matter thoroughly and it is hoped they will find the guilty parties and solve a mystery."