The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

The 1917 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross
Registrar for Daniel McMillan Chapter, N.S.D.A.R.1917

Stronghurst Graphic, June 14, 1917 

***OBITUARY***WILBUR FISK MARSTON: Wilbur Fish Marston died at his home on May 18, 1917 in Dexter, Iowa. He was a brother of Mrs. Frank Crenshaw and Mrs. Harriet Curry of Stronghurst. The other brothers and sisters who survive him are Fletcher and Arthur Marston of Dexter, Ia., and Mrs. Seth Barnes of Marston, Mo.

" W.F. Marston was born in Ashtbula County, Ohio, March 25, 1837 and died May 18th 80 years, 1 month, and 28 days. In 1838 he moved with his parents to Henderson County, Illinois and here he grew to manhood. In 1864 he married Miss Tabitha Nelson and to this union five children were born: Mrs. E. Payne, Mrs. C.Murray, G.W.Marston, W.D. Marston and Mrs. C.R.Hunter, all of whom are living and were present except Mrs. Hunter who died March 25, 1908. He moved with his wife and three children from

Henderson County to his late home at Dexter in 1870. The family ties were broken when the wife and mother died on Sept.29, 1895 and Mr. Marston lived with his daughter on the home place most of the time. He was converted at Penn Center in 1883 and become a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church...

His life was that of a pioneer. For 47 years he lived on a farm six miles south of Dexter. His last hours were attended with more or less intense suffering caused by neutritus until death gave relief from pain..Those mourning his death are four children, eighteen grandchildren, four great grandchildren, three sisters, two brothers and a large number of friends and neighbors. Funeral services and burial were held at Penn Center church...Winterset, Ia., Madisonian

ALUMNI BANQUET FOR SHS: The annual banquet of the Stronghurst High School Alumni Association which was held last Saturday evening in the auditorium room of the school building was of a more than ordinarily auspicious nature because of the fact that it was made the occasion for celebrating the silver anniversary of the first graduating class.

Of this class three members were present namely, Miss Annis Drew of Peoria and Mrs. Cora Jones and Miss Hortense Harbison of this place. Letters of regret where received from Mrs. Mary Milligan Taylor of Fresno, Cal. And Miss Florence Dobbin of Lancaster, Mo. The other living members of the class are Miss Eva Carothers, who is now in Canada and Mrs. Fannie Annegers Artz of Burlington. Mrs. May Tadlock Moreland, passed to her reward several years ago.

The total number of members of alumni and their friends who sat about the festive board was 110. The banquet room was tastefully decorated with artificial peach blossom boughs and the same decorations were used for the tables, which were lighted with wax candles furnished with colored shades. At the side of each plate was a souvenir menu and toast program folder printed in silver. As far as possible the plan was followed of having members of the various classes which have graduated from the school and their guests seated in distinct groups.

The menu prepared under the skillful supervision of Mrs. Johanna Wheeling and served by the girl members of the junior high school class was as follows: FIRST COURSE: Creamed Chicken, Spaghetti and Cheese, Mashed Potatoes, Rolls and Butter, Radishes, Olives; SECOND COURSE: Cabbage Salad, Saratoga Flakes; THIRD COURSE: Brick Ice Cream, Angel Food Cake, Coffee, Mints.

After ample justice had been done to the feast for the inner man, the president arose and in a few well chosen words announced the pleasure of seeing so many of the alumni present and introduced Miss Annis Drew, toast master of the evening.Miss Drew disclaimed the possession of any special qualifications for the position, but the easy grace, wit and tact she displayed made it evident that no mistake had been made.

She spoke briefly concerning the class of 1892...She introduced Miss Erma Kaiser of the class of 1912 who delighted the audience with a harp solo, followed by an encore. In an original poem paying tribute to W.C.Ivins, the principal of the school in 1892, Miss Drew presented that gentleman as one who had been chosen to speak upon the subject of "The First Commencement."(His subject is covered in depth in this article so if you are interested, go to the Henderson County Public Library and read every word on microfilm.)

The next number on the program was a finely rendered solo by Mr. D. Prescott of the class of 1906 followed by Mr. Chester Brooks, class of 1914 and a student at Monmouth College, who welcome the class of 1917 into the association. Miss Ruth Staley responded for that class. Following the program a short business session was held. (How different and yet similar to the SHS reunion at the end of June 2003.)

HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATION: The graduation of the class of 16 students of the Stronghurst High School was celebrated with appropriate exercises at the Lyric theatre last Friday evening. Those receiving their diplomas at the hands of Prof. Pope in the presence of a large audience of admiring relatives and friends were the following: Rhoda Kesiah Anderson, Ruby LaVina Hicks, Mabelle Gwendolyn Jones, Vera Lorene Morgan, Esther Sarah Marshall, James Dewain Rezner, Willard Dean Rankin, Sarah Ruth Staley, Edna Hulda Schierbaum, Phyllis Aileen Steffey, Merna Alma Vaughan, Susie Anna Voorhees, Sarah Jessie Voorhees, Marqueritte Anna Wheeling, Grace Roselie Smith and Benjamin Otto Steffey. (Another long article that can be read in entirety at the library.)

1892 GRAPHIC: Ralph Rankin had been engaged to teach the Rankin School north of Stronghurst. Chas. Gustafson had just purchased a quarter section of land near Media from John C. Huston for $4,200. Mr. And Mrs. Wm. Marshall purchased the R.C.Henry residence in the village. First commencement for the Stronghurst High School was held in the opera house.

LOCAL AND AREA HAPPENINGS: Robert Chase of Burlington visited relatives and friends in town. Mrs. S.J. Peasley and daughter Ruth of Fort Collins visited at the J.O.Anderson home. Both James R. Marshall and William E. Marshall are added to last week's list of young men willing to obeyed the call of the president. F.J. Murphy, who for some months has been afflicted with a cataract on his left eye, left for Chicago where he is being treated by specialists. Encouraging news states that he had undergone his preliminary operation and will have the final operation on Thursday. His doctor assures him that his sight will be restored and thinks that if conditions continue as favorable as now indicated that he may be able to return home in 10-15 days.

About 40 young women of the community assembled at the home of Mrs. W.C.Regan and made 100 comfort bags for the soldiers. A unique, artistic and patriotic display of the national colors calling attention to the "Liberty Loan" has been placed in the large front window of the First National Bank. T.C.Knutstrom and son Ralph, Edwin Beardsley and Bert Putney went to Chicago returning in an auto purchased by a customer.

While in the city Bert took the examination for admission to the commissary department of the reserve corps of the army and was accepted. Mrs. Ralph Lant of Boise City, Ida., has been visiting the C.E.Lant home northwest of Stronghurst. Miss Blanche Marston, who was employed as one of the operators in the telephone office here for several weeks this spring, was married to Benjamin A. Pierce of Burlington, Ia.

REDEDICATED: The United Presbyterian Church at Sugar Tree Grove, known as the Henderson Church, has recently been remodeled and refurnished and rededication services are to be held Sabbath, June 18th.

MEDIA MEANDERING: Norman Grossman accompanied a shipment of sheep to Chicago. Mr. Robert Meloan and family of Oquawka visited his brother, Dr. Meloan. Two new cement bridges have been placed on the west road leading out of town, which was a needed improvement. The ladies of the U.P.Church will give an ice cream and strawberry social on June 27th.