The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

The 1917 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross
Registrar for Daniel McMillan Chapter, N.S.D.A.R.1917

Stronghurst Graphic, March 29, 1917 

PLAN A COMBINED HORSE AND CATTLE SHOW: At the meeting of the horsemen of the county held for the purpose of closing business in connection with last year's horse show and talking over plans for 1917, a proposition was presented which may result in the incorporation of a consolidated association composed of the Henderson County Horse Show Association and the Henderson County Hereford Breeders Association for the purpose of giving annual exhibitions.

An option could be obtained on a desirable tract of land within the village large enough for exhibition purposes and it was suggested that a stock company could most likely be organized with capital sufficient to erect a show and sale pavilion and to provide for the other expenses involved in the undertaking...

LUCKY ESCAPE: Mr. C.E.Peasley and son Joe and M.L.Evans, Jr. attended an auto trail meeting in Burlington, going over in the Peasley Ford car. On their return trip, Joe, who was driving noticed a small washout over a culvert near the Henry Annegers place and not having time to slow down before reaching the culvert attempted to avoid the danger by quickly swerving to one side.

This resulted in the car being suddenly turned completely over. The top being up, saved the occupants from being pinned under the wreck and Mr. Peasley says that they were all out on their feet before the front wheels of the auto had quit spinning. The car was damaged but in a little while the occupants found themselves able to finish the journey home on foot and mighty thankful that they were able to do so.

***OBITUARY***GEORGE COOPER: March 22, 1917 the life of George Cooper silently ebbed out with scarcely any warning to his loved ones who were watching at his bedside. For many years he had been a constant sufferer, but being of a cheerful disposition, few of his many friends realized what great effort he labored under in meeting the pleasure and storms of life. Every known method which medical skill could employ was used, but gave very little relief. The death angel said, "It is enough."

George Cooper was the son of Thomas and Nancy Cooper and was born July3, 1863 southwest of Stronghurst on what is now the Thomas Dodds farm with most of his life was spent in Henderson County. After finishing the grades in his home school, he, in company with S.E.Mace, took a course at the business college in Bushnell. On July 21, 1885 he married Miss Jennie Stewart of Biggsville. For several years he was in business in Media and was well-known both in business and in church circles where he and his devoted wife were members of the Media M.E.Church.

Three years ago last October, his physician told him that he must give up business for a while at least to see if he could regain his health. He and his wife then came to Stronghurst to live with his only sister. Much of this time has been spent in his sick room.

The last year he seemed to be slowly regaining his usual strength, but it soon left him when the disease took a new grip. He leaves to mourn his departing, his faithful wife, one sister and one brother besides a host of friends.

Funeral services were held in the Stronghurst M.E.Church with interment in the village cemetery. (List of those attending from a distance was included in article.)

1892 GRAPHIC: Mesrs. Kessler and Chant had begun the erection of a new brick building 28 x 70 ft. on the corner of Broadway and Nichols Streets. Steffey Bros. were erecting buildings and preparing to open their new brick yard west of town. Dunsworth Bros. Had purchased 6 lots on Mary St. And preparing to erect two new residences. A local talent dramatic company from Raritan present a play entitled " The Social Glass" at the Stronghurst Opera House.

Stella Whitley, employed at the home of Mr. And Mrs. Emmons Shaw south of town attempted suicide by swallowing a quantity of carbolic acid. Prompt medical assistance saved her life. Two children of Mrs. B.C.Shugart, boys aged nine and eleven, arrived from Oklahoma to make their home with their grandfather, Harry Bowen. Constable C.P.Davidson resigned his office preference to acting in his official capacity in ejecting a destitute family from a miserable old shack near Hopper's Mills. Clyde Irvin returned to Biggsville after winter working at the Nevius restaurant.

***OBITUARY***ALLEN BOOTEN: Allen Booten, third child of William and Lutisha Booten, was born in New London, Iowa, Oct.15, 1882 and passed away at Olena on March 20, 1917, aged 34 yrs, 5 months, and 5 days. He was united in marriage in 1901 to Miss Lizzie Evans and to this union three children were born: Carl, 14; Marvin, 13; and Dale,8. These with his wife, three brothers and three sisters are left to mourn his untimely taking away. His father and two other brothers preceded him.

***MRS. M.A.TULL***Mrs. M.A.TULL died at her residence in Dallas City March 22 after an illness of more than three months. She was born in Sangamon County, Ill. Sept. 30, 1834, the daughter of Samuel and Amanda Woods being the next to the oldest of ten children, five of whom survive. While yet a child, her parents moved to Adams County where she grew to womanhood. On April 3, 1854 she united in marriage to J.B.Tull and took up residence in Missouri.

Shortly, however, they returned to Illinois and settled on a farm near her father's home in Adams County. To them six children were born: Samuel H. and Wm. J. Died in infancy, Amanda J. And Mary E. preceded her in death; Harvey E. and Frank E. remain to mourn her loss. In 1888 Mr. Tull left the farm and moved to Bowen, Ill remaining there until 1893 when they moved to Stronghurst. He died in 1907 and in the spring of 1910 she moved to Dallas City. Funeral services were conducted at the home with interment in the Stronghurst Cemetery.

LOCAL AND AREA NEWS: The Henderson County Journal has purchased the building formerly owned by the Henderson County Progress. (Anyone have copies of this paper?) Charles Rockel, who has been spending the winter here left for his farm in Montana, he and his brother accompanying a shipment of stock and farming implements to Miles City near where they farm. His wife has been visiting with her father, Mr. J.P.Dobbs and left for Montana on Saturday. Miss Ruth Staley has been quarantined on acccount of chicken pox. Miss Della Brokaw returned to LaFayette, Ind. Where she has a position with a publishing concern.

Mr. H.Burnham Fort and Miss Bessie Davis took their departure for Olathe, Kans. An interest sequel to this bit of news will most likely appear in a later issue of this paper. G.W.Worley family expect to move into the Ivins property vacated by Arthur McKeown. The Swedish minister, Rev. W.P.Anderson, will move into the house they left. Harry Voorhees, son of Mr. And Mrs. Frank Voorhees of Raritan, left for Washington, D.C. where he was called to join his company connected with the engineering corps of the U.S.Army; he had been on a furlough for several weeks.

Members of the Stronghurst Women's Club have been invited by the Biggsville Women's Club to view an exhibition of a collection of pictures by a noted American artist.The Decorra store has changed hands recently with Mr. Crabill, the former owner having sold to Mr. Hildebrand. Mr. and Mrs. Hildebrand are young people from Indiana and have had experience in operating a general store. Mr. Crabill will go back to LaHarpe, his former home.

COUNTY NOTES: GLADSTONE-A social dance was held at the hall with music furnished by a Burlington orchestra; a merry time was enjoyed. The Reno Show Co. are giving moving pictures and sleight of hand exhibitions at Bryan's hall each evening this week. (They made all the area towns having been in Carman and Lomax before this move.) The Duncan and Stotts store closed for two days following a dissolution of the partnership and to invoice the stock. The store will hereafter been known as the Duncan Store as Mr. Stott has retired from the firm.

CARMAN: James Good left for Warsaw where he will work with a surveyor. Mr. Harry Morgan and wife of Alton, Iowa, were called home by the death of Mrs. Morgan's brother-in-law, Allen Booten. G.W.Howell and sons Joe and Paul Marsden were Dallas City where the boys had dental work done by Dr. Walters.

OLENA: The village folk are somewhat concerned over a case of chicken pox or small pox which developed in the Bert Burrell home, the victim being their oldest son Delbert.

The family are under quarantine and it is hoped no other cases develop. No public services will be held in the village on Sabbath Day and the village school was ordered closed for a while to await the out come of this case. Mr. Frank Veech has sold his farm to Mr. Marvin Kemp. The Fisher brothers now ride in a spick and span new Ford; also Mr. Fred Johnson. Mr. Elmer Carlson made a trip to Monmouth in his new Ford.