The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

The 1917 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross
Registrar for Daniel McMillan Chapter, N.S.D.A.R.1917

Stronghurst Graphic Feb.15, 1917 

DEATH'S HEAVY TOLL: (The flu was rampant at this time nationwide and Stronghurst suffered too.) During the past week three more homes in this village have been invaded by the Angel of Death and loved ones borne away to their eternal home. That silent messenger takes no account of the age of those he summons as is born witness by the fact that of the three who answered his call during the past few days, one was a man of somewhat advanced years, another a woman in the prime of life and the third an innocent little child of four years.

MRS. H.L.MARSHALL: Emma V. Meyers, daughter of Stephen and Anna Meyers, was born Feb.3, 1876 at Herman, Ill. And passed away at her home in Stronghurst on Feb.11th, aged 41 years and 7 days. On March 7, 1910 she was united in marriage at Galesburg to Dr. H.L.Marshall of this place. Previous to her marriage she was engaged in the profession of nursing, being a graduate nurse of Cottage Hospital of Galesburg in 1908(?-unclear date in paper) Since her marriage, her time has been continuously in this village.

When quite young Mrs. Marshall united with the Christian Church at Abingdon, Ill. Since which time she has been a faithful worker in the Master's vineyard. She leaves to mourn her loss, Her devoted husband, four sisters-Mrs. N.C.Cliver of Chicago; Mrs. L.M. Peterson of Joliet; Mrs. L.B.Graham of Herman and Mrs. O.O.John of Abingdon, Ill., also two brothers-Dr. H.A. Meyers of Chicago and R.J.Callison of Flora, Ill. Her father, mother and one brother preceded her in death. Funeral services were conducted at the home with interment in the Stronghurst Cemetery.

JOHN L. NORDSTROM: John L. Nordstrom was born in Sweden Dec.26th, 1850 and passed away at five o'clock on the morning of Tues., Feb.13th at his home in Stronghurst. When still a young man, he came to America desiring the benefits of this country of plenty and opportunity. He came to Illinois and made his home for some time near Moline, later going to Chicago where he worked for a time.

About 40 years ago Mr. Nordstrom came to Henderson County and worked on a farm. He later married Miss Jessie Clark of the Raritan neighborhood and settled on a farm two and a half miles northeast of Raritan. Here he continued to reside until 1910 when he came to Stronghurst where he has since resided, making his home most of the time with his son Rae and family.

He enjoyed good health up until the time of his last illness which began early in the winter and he gradually grew weaker. He peacefully passed away last Tuesday morning.Many years ago Mr. Nordstrom united with the Reformed Church of Raritan and remained a member of the same up to the day of his death. He is survived by his wife, his son Rae and family, one daughter-Mrs. Benjamin Slusher and family. Services were conducted at the Stronghurst Christian Church with burial in the village cemetery.

DALE SHICK: Dale Shick, son of Mr. And Mrs. Shick, was born in Stronghurst, Feb.7, 1913 and passed away at the home of his parents Feb.13, 1917, aged four years and 6 days. He is survived by his parents, two older brother and one younger brother. Funeral services were conducted at the home.

1892 GRAPHIC: Wm. M. Dobbin passed away at the home of his son, David Dobbin north of Stronghurst on Feb.11th. A local talent company presented the play "The Stolen Will" before an appreciative audience at the Stronghurst Opera House. The cast was made up of J.W.McKee, Ella Harter, Bessie Graham, Nora Miller, Bertha Brelsford, Dulcie Davidson, W.J.McElinney, C.E.Fort, W.C.Ivins, Sam Carothers, Amos Law and Irv Thomas.

The Misses Jennie and Clara Lant had just returned from Abingdon College and the latter was preparing to teach the spring term of school in the Marston district.(schoolhouse is present home of Quentin and Kris Peterson on Illinois Highway 94 north of Stronghurst). S.C.Lant was advertising a sale of personal property with the intention of going to Oklahoma. E.B.Campbell had leased ground on the west side of Chas. Gilbert's lots for the erection of a carriage and wagon store room. Monmouth had a terrible fire burning the opera house block. The U.S.Money Order system was extended to include all post offices in which the salary of the postmaster exceeded $200 annually, thereby doubling the number of M.O. offices in the U.S.

SANDERSON HOME AFIRE: A telephone message came in from the Sanderson home, one half mile south of town stating that the roof of the house was on fire. The fire alarm was quickly sounded and in a short time a number of the firemen were at the engine house ready for a run to the scene of the blaze. The auto of Chas. Watson, who happened to be in town, was requisitioned for the purpose of hauling the fire apparatus to the home and in a very short time, the boys reported for duty on the scene. They found, however, that their services would not be needed as a bucket brigade of household members and a few others quickly subdued the fire with the application of a few buckets of water.

The fire originated from sparks from the kitchen chimney falling on the dry shingles of the roof leaving two holes there. It was a close call, however, as it would have been a difficult task to fight a fire which had gained much headway on account of the extremely cold weather.

LOCAL AND AREA HAPPENINGS: Mr. J.F.McMillan, who has been the manager of the Stronghurst Opera House, wishes us to announce that he has retired and hereafter the opera house will be in charge of Messrs. Wax and McKeown. Mrs. L.E. Hutchings left for Chicago where she will spend time selecting her spring stock of millinery goods. Peter Groom is now located in Cheyenne, Wyo.; he has given up his railroad job or has been transferred to the Wyoming capital.

E.G.Lewis of Media shipped a load of hogs to Chicago and amongst them was a porker weighting 730 lbs. Messrs. Tierney & King, well known Percheron horse breeders of Media Township, recently delivered six head of yearling stud colts to Bishop Bros. Of Towanda, Kans.

Mrs. Alice Worthington purchased the residence on Elizabeth Street, which belonged to her father, Mr. S.V.A.Simonson and has rented it to Mrs. Mary Thompson, who intends to move there from her farm north of town. Messrs. Towler & Grandey have secured the services as superintendent of their ladies dress goods and accessories department Mrs. Blackhurst of La Harpe, a lady who has for a number of years held a similar position with the M.&M. Store there. The Lyric Theater is closed on account of extensive remodeling. Manager Beardsley says that when reopened it will be prepared to book regular opera and vaudeville companies as well as present motion pictures.