The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.
Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross
Registrar for Daniel McMillan Chapter, N.S.D.A.R.19
Stronghurst Graphic, May 10, 1917
ANSWERS THE LAST CALL: Last Friday afternoon at bout 5 pm one of the few remaining veterans of the Civil War living in this community was mustered out of earthly service to join the ranks of the great army of the redeemed above. At the hour mentioned, Marion J. Green passed away at his home in this village after an illness of several months duration.
While Mr. Green's presence on the streets of the village had been missed by many during the past two or three months, there were but few who realized that his condition was serious and the news of his death came as a shock to all. The immediate cause of his death was a stroke which he suffered about two days before.
Mr. Green was a man of very extensive acquaintance amongst the people of this and adjoining counties where he had for many years past engaged in the business of selling school supplies and furnishings, his former experience as a teacher enabling him to carry on this work with considerable success.
He also conducted the business of dairying and fruit culture in a limited way and even in his older years set an example of industry worthy of emulation.
Marion Joshua Green was born in Salem, Rush Co., Indiana June 3, 1845. Here he remained a few years moving to Moscow, Indiana in 1853, then to Clarksburg, Indiana in 1856 where he grew to manhood. During this time he attended school, worked on the farm and carried the mail.
On Nov.3, 1863 he enlisted in Company A 123rd Indiana Volunteers and remained in service until the close of the war in 1865. He joined Sherman in May 1864 and was in the Georgia campaign in nearly all fights and skirmishes until he took sick on July 10th being absent 40 days. Aug.20th he went to the front again.
After Sherman had made his raid, they went to Nashville, Tenn. In 1865 he went to Washington and then to Newburn, N.C. after which he was mustered out.
He began teaching in Brookfield, Indiana in 1867. In 1871 he moved to Cooper County, Mo. And in 1876 to La Salle Co., Ill.In early life he united with the Methodist church of which he was a faithful member until his death.On March 30, 1881 he married Miss Luna Mark at her home near Olena. To this union two daughters were born, namely, Edna May and Nellie Dole, both having passed away in early childhood.
In 1888 he moved with his family to Olena where he lived until 1903 when he moved to Stronghurst at which place he remained until his death May 4, 1917, being 72 years, 11 months, and one day of age. He is survived by his faithful wife, two sisters and four brothers. Funeral services were conducted at the M.E.Church with interment in the Olena Cemetery.
On the casket rested a beautiful bouquet of red roses, a token of living esteem from the following former school pupils of Mr. Green: Ollie Gilliland, Vera Schroeder, Grace Stevenson, Francis McKeown, Orpha Lovitt, May Woodward, Cleclie Combites, Evelyn Carothers, Florence Marshall, Ollie Best, Anna Fort, Burnham Fort, Gerald Fort, Cora Starr, Roy Mudd, Myrtle Mudd, and J.F.McMillan.
STRONGHURST WINS: The local high school won first honors last Saturday evening in declamation in both the boys and the girls divisions in the triangular contest between Dallas City, LaHarpe and Stronghurst High School students.
The Lyric Theatre was filled to capacity with enthusiastic supporters of the various contestants and under the inspiration resulting from such, each champion of the school acquitted himself of herself in a most creditable manner.
In the boys' division, Manly Staley of Stronghurst scored the most points by his fine rendition of "How the Larue Stakes were lost." Miss Ruth Foote's display of dramatic talent and art in declaiming won first place for the home school with her selection of "The wild olive wreath."
ANTI-SALOON LEAGUE MEETS: Rev. E.W.Ward, field secretary of the Illinois Anti-Saloon League addressed a union meeting in the U.P.Church last Sabbath evening. The church was filled almost to capacity and marked interest in the address of Mr. Ward was manifested by the audience.
Both the sunlit and the shadowy side of the work of the league were presented and the impression made was testified to by the liberal response made for financial aid in carrying on the work. Mr. Ward informed us that the contributions from the people of this community to the cause he represents were greater than on any previous year. (Stronghurst was strong for prohibition.)
LAND! LAND! LAND! Farm renters, farm hands and others! Do you realize that Henderson County land is now too high for you to buy on credit! Forest County, Wisconsin, has thousands of acres of just as good land that will produce better clover, wheat, oats, hay, potatoes, etc., as Henderson County land at $25 per acre on five to ten years time.
Let me send you a booklet written under supervision of Federal State and county officials. Per-Ola Land Co., Crandon, Forrest Co., Wisconsin-Chas. H. Sterner, Monmouth, General Sales Solicitor (The dream of owning land is inherent in the American experience. People moved West, be it west from Massachusetts, South Carolina, Illinois, Kansas, etc., to live that hope of a better life style and become a wealthy farmer, rancher, planter, etc. Forest County, Wis., is south of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and today is about 3/4 forest land so obviously, farming was not the thing to do.
In the 1890's and early 1900's land sales in Oklahoma and New Mexico were being touted and now, in 1917 the push was for Wisconsin.)
WOMEN'S CLUB OF STRONGHURST ANNUAL REPORT: Regular meetings have been held on the first Saturday of each month with business and literary programs. Thirteen members have been received since the organization, making a total of 133...The club has kept in touch with state and national associations and has been loyal and prompt in its support of general plans to influence legislation and secure voice in government...Locally, a "clean up" campaign was instigated last spring and resulted satisfactorily to the community.
The Community Club has maintained a municipal waiting room for women throughout the year and has been somewhat of a strain on the treasury but has been a much needed convenience, especially for out of town women.
The library has been open on Wednesday and Saturday afternoons from 3:30-5 p.m and from 7:30-9 p.m on Saturday evenings. 240 books have been borrowed from Springfield and there are 75 books in the rental library and 50 in the free section which are owned by the club.
There are 12 yearly subscription to books and an average weekly circulation of about 35 books. Librarians for the year were Mrs. Bert Johnson, Misses Erma Kaiser, Grace H. Marshall, Ruth Davis, Martha Daughtery and Charlotte Maxey...(The club finished the year with a balance of $204.44 in its treasury.)
WEDDING BELLS: A simple but pretty ceremony was solemnized at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Geo. Seigworth near Lomax, May 6th when Miss Madah Cherry, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Cherry and sister of Mrs. Seigworth, became the bride of Mr. Otto Edward Hildebran of Decorra, Ill. The wedding was a quiet affair including only the immediate relatives and a few close friends.
The bride is one of Carman's young girls who graduated from the Carman schools and afterward spent most of her time in Burlington.
She wore as her wedding gown white marquisette trimmed in fine lace and her veil was caught up with satin ribbon and buds picked from the orchard.
The groom's suit was of blue serge. Mr. Hildebran is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Labon Hildebran of Buffalo, Ind., but is now located in Decorra, where he has bought and is successfully running a general store.
He is a graduate of Monticello, Ind. High School and also attended Grier College at Hoopeston, Ill. He taught there for three years and was an active personage in the Bailey Musical Company for two years.
The bride and groom met for the first time three years ago and had a mutual desire to know each other better so kept in touch by constant exchange of letters. At last they discovered their mutual desire had grown into a deep romance which culminated in the happy marriage...The couple will be at home in Decorra.
WAR ON DANDELIONS: Mrs. Ivins, chairman of the dandelion committee for the "Clean-Up" campaign offered an article from the Colorado Agricultural College which advises the use of 20% solution of iron sulphate with a three time application.
After the first application the dandelions turn black and apparently die, but it was found necessary to repeat the dose to complete their destruction. In the college campus which had practically been taken by the pest, not a survival was left after the third application. (Town is trying to better itself.)
LOCAL AND AREA HAPPENINGS: Miss Myrtle Hastings spent the weekend with home folks at Sparland, Illinois. Miss Sarah Voorhees is again able to attend school, having been ill for some time with small pox. B.S.Begley moved to his new home opposite the Methodist Church. Wm. Hartquist shipped 8 carloads of cattle to Chicago. He and son Edgar and Chas.
Wheeling accompanied the shipment. The Eahchealho Camp Fire Girls will give a combination parcel post and bake sale at the ladies municipal waiting room in Stronghurst. All parcels will be sold at real value. Mrs. Mary Miller has returned from Hancock, Ia. Where she had been at the bedside of her sister, Mrs. W.A.Carter who died on April 29th.
LOCAL AND AREA HAPPENINGS: Both banks of the village were authorized during the past week by telegram direct from the Secretary of Treasury to receive subscriptions to the two billion dollars "Liberty Loan" which is now being raised for the prosecution of the war.
A real estate transaction was consummated where by Geo. T. Chant becomes the owner of the brick block known as the Loomis building occupied by Towler & Grandy and other tenants.(Loomis Building is the brick structure south of the American Legion today) Mr. Chant disposes of his property on Elizabeth and Main Streets and J.W. Rankin is the new owner. Dr. Salter who now occupies this house will move immediately to the Wm. Daugherty residence just north and Mr. Rankin will move into his own property.
Oliver Chandler and son Floyd of Ft. Collins, Colo., were in town. Mr. Chandler was a former resident of the southwest neighborhood but for a number of years has lived in Colorado. He has been extensively engaged in cattle and sheep feeding and is considered one of Colorado's most successful men. At this time he had a train load of sheep on the Chicago market and marketed another train load of cattle on his way to the Eastern market. The wool which he had sheared from these sheep before shipping had sold for $10,000.
It is reported that Erman Dodds, who has been at El Paso, Tex., for some time has enlisted in the U.S.Navy. W.R.Logan of Prince Albert, Sask. and a Mr. Mulchey from Calgary have been in the vicinity purchasing a number of Polled Hereford bulls from local breeders. Mr. W.B.Bushnell, who was resident engineer in charge of the installation of our water works system two years ago is in the village taking an inventory of the property of the Stronghurst Telephone Co. for the State Public Utilities Board by whom he is presently employed. The Royal Hawaiian Duo, who appeared at the Lyric Theatre proved to be very popular entertainers.
Manager Beardsley informs us that they recently closed a very successful two weeks engagement in New York City and that this was one of eight places at which they stopped on their journey to the Western coast. He also states that he arranged with them for a return engagement in Stronghurst next year.
OLENA: All families who have been under quarantine have been liberated. (Small pox cases were in the community.) Mr. Allen Prier and sister, Mrs. Booten and family and Mrs. Bert Burrell of the village attended a funeral for a relative at New London, Iowa. They were taken overland in Mr. Biddenstadt's car.
LOMAX: Geo. Hoover is driving a new Ford. An illustrated lecture was given at the school building. Allen Crane, who is visiting home folks, will go at once for training as an officer in the U.S.Navy. This will be the first enlistment from the town. The Curtis Handle Co. shipped a large consignment of handles of an excellent grade.