The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.
Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross
Registrar for Daniel McMillan Chapter, N.S.D.A.R.1916
Stronghurst Graphic, Dec.21, 1916
A SURPRISE: The regard and esteem felt by the members of the Stronghurst Swedish Lutheran congregation for their pastor, Rev. W.P.Anderson, and his wife was manifested last Saturday evening when they were made the recipients of a substantial token of appreciation at a gathering at the church which had been arranged and planned for without their knowledge. When the congregation had assembled a messenger was sent to summons the pastor and his wife to the church. A short service consisting of Bible reading, prayer and song was engaged in after which Mr. Gus A Swanson on behalf of the congregation presented Mr. and Mrs. Anderson each with a check for $50.00. The gifts were accompanied with expression on the part of Mr. Swanson of the affection in which the pastor and his wife were held in the hearts of their people.
Rev. Anderson responded in an appropriate manner, thanking the donors for the unexpected evidence of their good will and affection and assuring them of the sincere interest which he and Mrs. Anderson felt in their spiritual and temporal welfare. After the presentation exercises were over the whole company descended to the basement rooms of the church where a sumptuous repast had been prepared and where the remainder of the evening was spent in feasting and pleasant social intercourse.
PROFESSIONAL CARDS ADVERTISED IN THIS ISSUE: I. F. Harter, Physician and Surgeon E .E. Bond, Physician and Surgeon-office in the Marshall Building Dr. R. I. Findley, dentist-Loomis Bldg. W. C. Ivins, Attorney at Law, office over 1st National Bank J. W. Gordon, Attorney at Law, Oquawka Safford & Graham, Lawyers, Monmouth Albert S. McElhinney, Auctioneer, Real Fred M. Gray, General Live Stock and Farm Sale Estate and Insurance, office 4 door north Auctioneer of Post Office Broadw R.P. Frans)-Good rigs or auto service furnished promptly and at reasonable prices.
A.T. & S.F.R.R. Local Time Table
West Bound East Bound
No.17 Daily.................7:34 am No.24 Daily (ex. Sun).............8:36 am
No.23 Daily (ex Sun)...3:22 pm No. Daily..........................12:11 pm
N.5 Daily...................11:55 pm No. 120 Daily (mixed)............5:47 pm
GONE TO HER OWN: Mrs. Sarah Evans Comes to That Event in Life Which Men Call DeathöThe soul of one of the noblest of the many noble pioneer women of Henderson County and of Western Illinois took its flight a few minutes before the midnight hour last Friday night, Dec.15th when Mrs. Sarah Y. Evans passed away at her beautiful country home, one half mile south and two and a half miles west of Stronghurst. (Picture of the Deceased in this issue)
Mrs. Evans had been in rather feeble health during the early part of the fall, but she had rallied to such an extent as to be able to make occasional trips to this village where she transacted matters of business in a way which indicated the retention of mental and physical faculties to a remarkable degree for one of her advanced years.
As late as Dec.2nd she was a caller at the Graphic office and in the course of conversation with the writer suggested to us the idea of printing the date of the issue of each number of the paper at the head of each page, stating that she believed it would often prove a matter of convenience to many readers.
We relate this incident simply to show the alertness of mind displayed in regard to the affairs of life by Mrs. Evans up to the very last.
Her last visit here was on the occasion of the funeral of Mr. C.S.Apt, which was held on Dec.2nd, 1916. Her final illness dated from Tuesday, Dec.12th when a relapse of her earlier illness occurred. She continued to sink gradually from that time until the end came at 11 p.m Friday.
We believe that we are justified in stating that there was in this section of Illinois, no woman more universally respected, loved and revered than was Mrs. Evans.
Her name was a synonym for benevolence, kindliness and excellency of character. Unostentatious and wholly in manner, there was always about her personality a stately dignity which compelled respect and made one to feel that they were in the presence of true royalty.
In the management of worldly affairs she possessed the powers of a grasp of detail and a judgment and discernment which were both a marvel and a source of admiration to all who knew her and it was these characteristics in connection with those of a similar character possessed by her husband, the late John Evans, which led to the amassing of a fortune from which largesse has been so liberally bestowed upon the less fortunate in life.
Eternity alone will reveal the many deeds of true charity performed by this kindly soul. Many who were the beneficiaries of her bounty remained in ignorance of the source and there was displayed in all of her giving to others, a rare tact calculated to prevent any sense of abasement on the part of the object of her benevolence. The attractive and beautifully situated Evans home was always a place where true hospitality was to be found.
The kind of hospitality which was characteristic of the people who blazed the way for those who now enjoy the results of the agricultural, educational, social and religious developments of this section of Illinois. A most notable instance of this hospitality was that manifested on the occasion of the reunion of the "old Log School House" pupils on Oct.1, 1902, when Mr. and Mrs. Evans played the part of host and hostess to some seven or eight hundred of their friends from far and near, entertaining them with a royal feast for body, intellect and soul.
Mrs. Evans, whose maiden name was Sarah Young Davis, was born in Saratoga County, N.Y., March 13, 1829. She was the daughter of Abner and Lucy (Oaks)Davis, and came with her parents to Henderson County, Ill., in 1835, being at that time a girl of six years. Her father, Abner Davis, had served his country as a soldier in the War of 1812 and in compensation for this service had received a patent from the government for the northwest quarter of section 34, Township 9-5 in this county. (Stronghurst Township)
It was under such conditions as these that the subject of this sketch grew to womanhood and developed those sterling qualities of heart and mind which made her so universally beloved in later years. There were in this pioneer family two other sisters and one brother, namely, Harriet, who afterwards became the wife of Alexander Anderson; Andrew J, who became one of the most widely known and highly respected citizens of this county; and Francis, who became Mrs. Strahan.(she lived in Mills County, Iowa) All have long since preceded their sister to their eternal home.
The advantages of education enjoyed by the deceased were greater than those enjoyed by many in that early day, and she was qualified for the work of a school teacher, and this work she followed for several years.
Her marriage to Mr. John Evans, Jr., occurred on April 23, 1857, and a few months later they moved to the farm which continued to be the home of the deceased for a period of 58 years. The handsome and commodious residence which crowns an elevation affording a comprehensive view of a beautiful surrounding country and which is one of the familiar landmarks of this section, was completed in the spring of 1870 and in this home Mr. and Mrs. Evans basked in the sunshine of an apparently ever increasing mutual affection until Mr. Evans' death.
To this union was born Marion LeGrand Evans, who is now a large landowner, stockman, banker and leading citizen of Western Iowa, residing in Emerson, Mills County, Iowa, where his father also had extensive business interests and where the remains of the latter are interred. Mrs. Evans is also survived by the following grandchildren:
Mrs. F.F.McArthur of Minneapolis, Minn., Dr. Frank Evans of Springfield, Ill., John Marion, Volney and Kenneth Evans of Emerson, Iowa, and also by three great grandchildren.
Mrs. Evans's Christianity was of the most practical sort. Early in life she united with the Presbyterian Church, but in 1905 she placed her membership in the M.E.church at Maple Grove, coming in at the same time with her husband.
Funeral services were held at the home on Monday afternoon, Dec.18th Following the service, the remains were taken to Carman where they were placed on a train and taken to Emerson, Ia., at which place they were interred by the side of her late husband. (A long poem follows which purportedly expressed Mrs. Evans sentiments on many subjects.)