The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

The 1917 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross
Registrar for Daniel McMillan Chapter, N.S.D.A.R.1917

Stronghurst Graphic, Jan.18, 1917 

RETURNS TO TOWN: After an absence of several years during which time they lived in Streator, Ill., Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Grandy and family have returned to Stronghurst. Mr. Grandy gave up his position as the local agent for the Santa Fe here a number of years to accept that of traveling auditor for the company.

He has resigned his railroad job and negotiated for an interest in the Towler Dry Goods Store here. The family is at home in the residence in the east part of town recently purchased by W.R.Towler from Mrs. Florence Wagy. Invoicing the Towler stock is under way and announcement of the personnel of the new firm is expected soon.

1892 GRAPIC: Hon. I.N.Stevens, a former Olena boy, was winning national recognition as a lawyer of unusual ability in his prosecution of the celebrated Graves murder trial at Denver, Colo. During the two weeks ending Jan.16th the local elevator managed by E.B.Campbell, received and shipped 40 cars loads of grain. M.Frary, a Santa Fe brakeman who home was from Chillicothe, was caught between two freight cars while making a coupling near the east end of switches at this point and died of shock about 35 minutes later.

LOCAL AND AREA NEWS: Will Bailey was on the Chicago market with three car loads of fat cattle. H.D.Lovitt has been a LaGrippe victim and was unable to be at his store for several days; Mrs. Lovitt has been helping there during his absence. R.W.Upton reports the sale of the two north lots of the J.F.Murphy residence on Division St. to Mrs. Mary Thompson who will erect a residence thereon and move from her farm.

M.L.Evans, Sr. And his son M.L.Evans, Jr., both of Emerson, Ia., were here on business connected with the estate of the late Sarah Y.Evans. His son will remain here and assume charge of farming operations on the Evans land during the coming year. The Burg Carriage Co. of Dallas City announced the opening of a New Paint Barn Room comprising 2,500 sq.ft. of floor space in their factory at Dallas City. Miss Grace Simonson has accepted a position as clerk in the Towler dry goods store. John Annegers and wife from Canada are visiting relatives and old friends.

Estell Mudd has been teaching school this past week for his sister, Marie, who has been ill. Mr. Chas. Huggins has gone to Dallas where he expects to act as foreman of a section on the railroad there. The Willing Workers of the U.P.Church will hold their next public tea at the home of Mrs. J.E.Amerman. About thirty friends of Mrs. W.T.Weir surprised her on her birthday at her home at Coloma. They brought their baskets at the noon hour and a delicious dinner was thoroughly enjoyed.

OLENA OBSERVATIONS: Mrs. John Dowell of Olena returned to Little York to care for her mother, Mrs. Schroeder, who has been quite low with pneumonia but is said to be making some progress toward recovery. Miss Hazel Johnson is taking music lessons of Mrs. Ivins and Lee Davis is a pupil in music of Miss Grace Marshall. Mr. Fordyce and family now ride in a brand new Studebaker car and Mr. Oscar Marshall and young John Marshall have each purchased a new Ford car so we are hoping they will all chug, chug along. Some from here attended the ball at the public hall in Gladstone Thursday evening and got into a mix up. (There was a fight!)

The most social affair of the New Year occurred at the home of Mr. and Mrs. C.E.Lant when the senior members of the M.E.Sunday School, who lost out in the past three months contest, entertained the junior class who were the winners. The evening was spent with music, games and a social good time. A delicate two course luncheon was served. About 50 were in attendance.

A number of farmers have been shelling and delivering their corn on a 90 cent market. Word was received that a young man by the name of Forgey, who was hauling corn to Gladstone, was struck by the fast mail train and so badly hurt that he only lived a few hours.

Both horses were killed and wagon demolished. Miss Magee is spending a few weeks at the J.L.Fort home. Young Wm. Marshall was so unfortunate as to break his collar bone. The immediate relatives of Richard and Emma Marshall gave them a house warming at their nice new bungalow in Stronghurst.

GLADSTONE GLEANINGS: A special service of song by Prof. Blackstone, Lee Galbraith, Samuel Stevenson and Mr. Sweesy at the church drew a full attendance. Mrs. Gossett, who was very ill at her home was taken to the Burlington Hospital for treatment. Mr. Arthur Gray and son Edgar shipped several car loads of hogs to Chicago. Leonard Hedges has suffered a slight stroke of paralysis. Mr. John Porter fell from a load of hay at his home breaking a collar bone and sustaining other bruises and injuries. Seward Brown was called to Oquawka by the death of his father, Mr. George Brown.

TRAGIC ACCIDENT: Glen Forgey, 15 yr. old son of Mr. And Mrs. George Forgey, was struck by Burlington Train No.10 in Gladstone Thursday morning. He was taken to the Burlington hospital on the first train where an examination showed that his skull was fractured, his arm broken and that numerous other wounds and bruises had been inflicted. The physicians at first were hopeful of his recovery, but he was unable to rally from the shock and passed away later that evening.

The accident occurred at the first crossing east of the station. The train, east bound, was running at the rate of about 50 mph when it struck the wagon in which he was riding. The team which he was driving was instantly killed and the lad hurled from the wagon with terrific force. The wagon was literally torn in pieces. The victim was hauling corn and was returning home with the empty wagon. A brother of Forgey, who saw the accident stated that the gates at the crossing were not lowered when the accident occurred and another eye witness stated that it was his belief that there was no warning whistle blown. The train did not stop until Biggsville was reached, the engineer claiming that he was unaware that he had struck anything.

Glen Forgey was born at Oquawka, April 8, 1901. Four years ago his parents moved to Gladstone. He was a large boy for his age and had often assisted his father by hauling grain to the village. He is survived by his parents and two brothers, Amos and William. The remains were brought back and taken to the home of the parents. Funeral services were conducted at Oquawka and interment made in the cemetery there.