The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.
Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross
Registrar for Daniel McMillan Chapter, N.S.D.A.R.1916
Stronghurst Graphic, April 6, 1916
***OBITUARY***JOHN CAROTHERS: John Carothers as a native of Pennsylvania, having been born in Cumberland County Aug.31, 1844. He was the son of Andrew and Lydia (Fickes) Carothers. His grandparents were Andrew and Mary (Hayes) Carothers of Pennsylvania and Jacob Fickes and wife, descendants of Old German families.
Andrew Carothers was amongst the very earliest settlers of this county where in the year 1840 he bought the N.E. 1/4 of Sec.2 in Township 9-5 (where he built his residence and lived there until his death in 1848) and afterwards the S.E. 1/4 of the same section. Andrew Carothers, his son and the father of the subject of this sketch, came to the county from Pennsylvania in 1851, the journey made by rail to Johnstown, Pa., by canal to Pittsburgh, and by boat via the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers to Oquawka.
He secured 80 acres of undeveloped land in the tract owned by his late father which he improved and on which he and his wife lived the remainder of their days-Mr. Carothers died in 1878 and his wife in 1890.
(This sounds so simple, but indeed required many years of hard work, clearing trees, burning stumps, breaking sod, and gradually going from a log cabin to a frame house. Horse and man power did it all.)
Although but six years of age when he made the journey with his parents, John remembered it all. He was reared on the farm and educated in the public schools and at Monmouth College. In March 1871 he married Miss Mary C. Gaddis, the daughter of Robt. W. and Ann Gaddis, who lived on the farm one and one half miles northwest of what is now the village of Stronghurst, which farm Mr. Carothers afterwards purchased and where he made his home until the time of his death...
The deceased was a firm believer in the value of Henderson County farm land and would purchase as opportunity presented itself various tracts until his holding of real estate amounted to about 600 acres in Stronghurst Township. He was also a Vice President of the First National Bank of Stronghurst and his advice was much sought after and highly valved by those in charge of financial affairs of many local organizations...He served his church continuously as Sunday School Supt. And teacher and as ruling elder for more than 25 years.
Mr. Carothers was the last of his brothers and sister to be called home. He is survived by his faithful life companion and by two daughters and one son, namely, Evelyn and Russell who lived with their mother and Mrs. Ethel McCleery of Alberta, Can.. Robert, the eldest died several years ago. Funeral services were conducted at the Olena U.P.Church with interment in the North Olena Cemetery. (A picture and a version of this obituary can be found in this issue.)
COMMUNITY CLUB NOTES: The regular meeting featured a business meeting where officers were elected: Chairman of the Civic Dept-Mrs. Jessie Murphy; Chairman of Municipal Waiting Room Dept.-Mrs. Louie Peasley; Chairman of Library Dept-Mrs. Martha Pope; and Chairman of the Social Dept.-Mrs. Cleo Bond. Members were asked to consider possibilities for a club flower, motto, song, and poem. The club has 118 charter members and regular members will be accepted.
BUSINESS CHANGES: A deal was closed by which G.L.Mahnesmith disposed of his restaurant business to Frank Lauber and C.M.Wheeler, Jr. who will continue it in the same location. Mr. Mahnesmith has rented the rooms which had been occupied by T.A.Nichols as a hardware store and will conduct a feed, meat and grocery business therein as soon as the Nichols stock is removed.
KITCHEN LULLABIES: The Thursday Evening Club of Terre Haute desires to announce that it has placed on sale at the Harter Drug Store a number of copies of its recently issued cook book entitled "Kitchen Lullabies." Price is 50 cents. (Does anyone have a copy of this? Please share a recipe.)
1891 GRAPHIC: Mention was made of what was reported to be the biggest cattle deal ever made there when David Rankin of Tarkio, Mo. purchased 8,200 head of Texas cattle at an average price of $25 per head, or an aggregate of $205,000. George Long was working for J. H. Baker Harness Shop. James Atkinson had taken a contract to build a residence of East Main St. for Mrs. White. The death of David Gibb, an old and respect citizen of Biggsville, was reported. The funeral of Stephen A. Livingstone was held at the M.E.Church on April 2nd, this being the first of that kind held in the church building.
FREE OF DISEASE: The long fight against the foot and mouth disease is over. The Secretary of Agriculture issued an order which removed all quarantines and restrictions against the shipment and movement of livestock. The order signed specifically removes the quarantine from small territory in Christian County, Illinois, the last area under suspicion. Dealers can now ship their cattle as before the first quarantine was imposed.
THERE THEY GO! Last Sunday afternoon Oscar Campbell hitched up his big grey team to a light road wagon and started out for a drive. When only a short distance from the barn, the bit in one of the horse's mouth broke and the team ran away, over turning and demolishing the vehicle to which they were attached.
The horses finally stopped up against the hitching rack near the alley back of the Keener Implement Building and one of the pair, a large grey stallion, came in contact with a post with such force as to cut a deep and dangerous gash in its breast. While very badly injure, it is thought that the animal will recover.
LOCAL AND AREA NEWS: Fred Reynolds and Marion Smith were in Peoria where they took the horse shoers examination required by the laws of the state and obtained their licenses. The also attended the 3rd annual State Horse Shoers convention. A story of domestic infidelity in a certain family in the village and in which the wife charged the husband with threats of extreme violence, was aired in Justice Hurd's court. The jury returned a verdict of"not guilty."
W.G.Kershaw of Somerville, New Jersey, was a passenger on the ill fated New York Central train in which 27 people lost their lives near Amherst, Ohio. He was in the second car ahead of the day coach in which nearly all of those who were killed were riding and he fortunately escaped injury. He is now visiting his brother, A.H. Mr. Kershaw of this city.
Arthur Steffey is teaching at Knoxville, Iowa. Cameron Jones was operated on for appendicitis at St. Mary's Hospital in Galesburg. Oswald Smith suffered a painful injury a few days ago when he broke one of the small bones in his hand while cranking an auto.
Theron Hardin is enjoying his first visit home in eight years; he is now employed by the government on a cable ship with headquarters at Seattle. Mr. and Mrs. Will Ross were called to Ames, Iowa by the illness of their son Joe, who is attending school there. He was threatened with pneumonia, but his parents were able to bring him as far as Burlington where he is in a hospital and hopes to be home in a few days.
GLADSTONE GLEANINGS: Dr. Agnew, President of Hedding College at Abingdon, visited the high school and addressed the students on the subject of "Parasites," what they are and especially, who the parasites of society are. He pictured the broad way that lies open to the young man and woman with a high school education.
Ruth Mears was the one to draw the Victrola at Chas. Hedges Store, she having turned in the most cash purchase tickets collected during the last four months. Miss Mears was delighted with her success and expresses her many thanks to those who helped her. The Five Hundred Club was entertained by Mr. and Mrs. Fred Dutton. The evening was spent with games and music. The M.W.A. and M.W.W.Hall has been treated to a new roof.
CARMAN CONCERNS: The Charlie Glad family have returned home after spending three months in Arizona for their children's health. Miss Lena Dixon of Iowa City visited her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Dixon. Charlie Gerber has started to build his new bungalow; Chas. Moore has the contract. Archie Vaughn purchased a new piano. Ray Taegar of Burlington moved his houseboat from Shokokon to the land he purchased from Charlie Gerber.
***OBITUARIES***MRS. EFFIE STINE GRISTY-Hearts of people of the community were saddened when news announcing the death of Mrs. Effie Stine Gristy arrived. After a brief illness she passed away at Chicago on April 7, 1916. Effie Catherine Stine was born Feb.5, 1868 at the Stine home south of Stronghurst. After receiving a common school education, she graduated from Gitting's Seminary at LaHarpe in 1887.
Shortly after this she began teaching and has been actively engaged in that profession ever since. In 1894 she married Mr. P. S.Gristy, who was also a teacher.
Actuated by a great love for little children she entered the Galesburg Kindergarten Normal School from which institution she was graduated in 1901, receiving special commendation for her excellent work.
After an interval of six years during which time she was a Stronghurst resident, she went to Chicago where she took special training for play ground work and kindergarten methods, later accepting a position as teacher in the Chicago public schools. Two months ago she was assigned the difficult task of organizing a kindergarten near Douglas Park of which institution she was made principal...Besides her husband, brothers and sisters, a host of friends are left to mourn, but the sweet memory of her life here will have a lasting effect upon this community.
***LEVI DALTON*** Levi Dalton, a former resident of the Hopper neighborhood who has lately been making his home in Galesburg, died at a hospital last Monday. Funeral services were conducted in the M.E.Church by Rev. Jaggers and the body was taken to Carman for interment.
NEW HOUSES IN TOWN: Plans for the erections of three new dwellings are already under way. Mr. G.Q.Fort is moving the old house from the Barney lots on Elizabeth St. and will build him a new residence thereon. Miss Emma Marshall has negotiated for two lots off the south side of the W. E.Salter place on the same street and is contemplating the erection of a residence. Mrs. C. E. Fort has closed a deal for the lots on Division St. between the U.P. parsonage and the Regan place and also expect to have a house built.
FORMAL OPENING: On next Saturday afternoon and evening, April 15th, the Municipal Waiting Room will be opened to the ladies of the community. An informal reception will be held and a cordial invitation is extended to all ladies to attend. Clelia Combites, Cor. Secy. (Where was this located?)
VILLAGE BOARD NEWS: The Stronghurst Village Board met in the village hall with the following present: W.C. Ivins, Pres.; Trustees, Davis, Hicks, Dixson and Kershaw and Clerk Lazear. They canvassed the recent election results and approved the auditing report. The board approved adding a work bench and vise and baseboard to the village pump house.
They also approved the spreading of oil on the village streets after enough money was turned into the village treasurer for such purpose and that it be spread by the village street and alley committee on those streets where the contributors lived. (Otherwise, if you didn't want a dusty street all summer, you had better pay the money. As streets were mainly dirt, this was important.)
The board also approved the use of reviewing seats by the local high school for the Bi County High School Meet.