The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

The 1915 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross
Registrar for Daniel McMillan Chapter, N.S.D.A.R.1915

Stronghurst Graphic, April 29, 1915

HE SURVIVED: Meredith Lovitt underwent an operation for ulcerated bladder at the Wesley Hospital in Chicago and passed through the ordeal nicely. He had been suffering considerably for several months so he and his wife, accompanied by Dr. Bond, went to Chicago to see if relief could be found at the mentioned hospital. At first it was thought that his trouble was an infection of the kidneys, but an examination revealed that these organs were healthy and that the source of his illness was as indicated above.

It is thought that unless complications arise, he will recover in a few weeks.

MRS. EMILY HICKS DIES: The death of Mrs. Emily Hicks occurred at the family home two miles northeast of Stronghurst on April 15th. She had been in failing health for something like six months, but her final sickness was of only a week's duration.

She was the oldest child of Charles and Emma Hamburg and was born in Sweden about 50 years ago. She came to this country with her mother when about 10 years of age, the husband and father having preceded them. On March 9, 1898 she was united in marriage to Frank A. Gustafson and to this union two children were born, Eldon and Elmer now aged 16 and 14? Years respectively. Mr. Gustafson died June 4, 1905.

On October 30, 1911 she united in marriage to Joseph Hicks who survives her. In addition to those mentioned above, she is survived by her aged mother, Mrs. Emma Hamburg of Stronghurst and by the following brothers and sisters: Fred, Oscar, and Axel Hamburg all of this vicinity; Mrs. Ellen Ford of Cameron, Ill.; Mrs. Annie McMillan of Aurora, Ill.; Mrs. Sadie Hall of Kirkwood, Ill.; Mrs. Bertha Dillon of Alabama; Mrs. Minnie Swenson of Michigan and Mrs. Ethel Pence of Kirkwood.

Mrs. Hicks was a member of the Swedish Lutheran Church of Stronghurst and funeral services were conducted there on the 18th with interment in the Stronghurst Cemetery.

LOCAL AND AREA NEWS: Your furniture can be made as good as new at the Novelty Repair Shop run by W. E. Hurd. If you have an old wind mill that is worn out, let Dixson replace it with an Aermotor, auto-oiled. It runs in a bath of oil, needs oiling only once a year and can be placed on any old tower of any make. The new style motor can be put on your old Aermotor mill.

Wm. Reedy of the southeast country had the misfortune to lose a valuable mare from over heating and a few days later lost a full blooded Chester White male hog that was killed in a fight with another animal of the Duroc Jersey breed.

Lon Lant is visiting his old Olena neighborhood. Mr. Lant who had been in the employ of the Standard Oil Co. in Oklahoma oil fields for a number of years, is slowly recovering from a serious accident which happened two years ago when he was helping to handle a large iron pipe and it fell upon him injuring his spine. He has been unable to work since.

Chester Nevius, formerly of Burlington and now in the employ of the United States government as a department clerk in the Panama Canal Zone, is home on furlough and visiting his uncle T. J. Parsons here. He says that a considerable amount of traffic is now passing through the big canal and that tolls to the amount of over $4,000,000 have already been collected.

The friends of Thomas Dixon are congratulating them upon the arrival of a young daughter at their home near Hopper. Marie, the little daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Fordyce has been quite seriously ill for the past ten days. Bert Anderson of Lomax is driving a new Ford. 7th and 8th grade students went to Lomax to take their final examinations in the new public school building. Mr. and Mrs. Carl Jacobson mourn the loss of their infant son Ralph, only 15 days old. He was buried in the village cemetery.

TRAVAIL OF THE MAILMAN: Jed Maxey's team ran away with him on his mail route west of Olena Saturday afternoon. The mail wagon was overturned in a ditch and badly torn up. Jed was thrown out and sustained some severe bruises besides having the fingers of one hand badly lacerated. The horses, after freeing themselves from the vehicle, ran as far as the Virgil Davis place where they were captured.

GLADSTONE GLEANINGS: Mr. Geo. Galbraith from Nebraska is home visiting his mother, Mrs. Samuel Galbraith, who is quite ill. Mrs. Will Galbraith moved in the Cooper house and expects to run it as a hotel. The Gladstone first baseball nine won their game in Carman against the home team. A Burlington baseball team came over and lost to the second Gladstone team.