The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

The 1915 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross
Registrar for Daniel McMillan Chapter, N.S.D.A.R.1915

Stronghurst Graphic, June 10, 1915

WATER SYSTEM PROGRESSING: Stronghurst's proposed water supply system will soon be a reality. The big ditch excavating machine arrived and was quickly unloaded from the railroad car and run out to the east part of town. Tuesday work began at the east end of Main Street on the line running west from that point. On account of the easy nature of the digging, the big machine makes rapid progress in the work of excavating and a good force of pipe layers and caulkers follow the machine putting the mains in place and connecting up the hydrants.

Judging from the progress already made, if weather conditions do not interfere, the pipe laying should be completed during the present month. The walls of the pump house are about completed and the big pump and engine are here ready for installation. The foundation for the tower and the tank are completed and material for the structure is ready for shipment.

VILLAGE BOARD MEETS: The Stronghurst village board met in regular session with Pres. W. C. Ivins presiding. Trustees Dixson, Stine, Hicks, Davis, Rankin, Kershaw, and Clerk Lazear were in attendance. Bills were submitted and paid. A. E. Jones was appointed village treasurer for the ensuing year and John Francen was selected as fire marshal at a salary of $60 per month. The ordinance committee is to prepare and present at the next meeting an ordinance for the management of the water works and establish water rates.

LANT-MARSHALL WEDDING: An unusually pretty June wedding took place at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Alex Marshall who gave their eldest daughter, Miss Lura, in marriage to Mr. Harvey Lant, only son of Mr. and Mrs. John Lant of Olena.

Just as the clock struck three, Mrs. F. Allen Annegers began singing one of Herman Lohn's love ballads. To the strains of Lohengrin's "Wedding March" played by Miss Evelyn Fort, the young couple, preceded by little Goldie Davis, niece of the groom as flower girl, entered the east parlor and took their places beneath a beautiful arch. Rev. H. T. Jackson performed the simple but impressive ceremony.

The bride's gown was of crepe de chine with lace and pearl trimming. Her traveling suit was of blue with hat and gloves to match. (This part of the article was sure to be read and discussed by all young ladies of the town and those attending would give an more detailed account of style, etc.)

A luncheon was served to 30 guests. About five o'clock the couple slipped out the rear door and attempted to steal away in an awaiting automobile, but friends had anticipate this ruse and before the chauffeur could start the car showered the couple with rice. The happy couple then departed to Biggsville where they took the train for the East where they will visit a number of former college friends.

The bride is a graduate of Stronghurst High School and of the Art Department of Valparaiso University. The groom, a home town graduate too, spent time at Monmouth College and taught several terms in Henderson County schools. Although he is still on Uncle Sam's list of mail clerks, he plans to farm. The couple will be at home on the Ed Carlson farm.

LEARN TO CAN: The Illinois State Federation Canning School under the direction of Mrs. Masters of Wataga, Ill., will be held at Lombard College in Galesburg. Ladies are urged to come and learn about the "cold packed" method of canning all kinds of fruits, vegetables and greens in both glass and tin. This method used by the best commercial canners and made applicable to home use.

1890 Graphic: One of Stronghurst's grocerymen was advertising flour at 50 cent a sack. A. T. Vail had just succeeded R. Worst as the local agent for the Santa Fe. J. C. Huston of Blandinsville shipped some fine carriage horses from this point to Scotland. The Stronghurst Dramatic Company presented "Dot, the Miner's Daughter." An account of a severe wind storm told of places on the river bottom where corn was buried beneath the sand and /or blown out by its roots.

While O. P. Lovitt was on his way to town with a load of oats, the bridge over Honey Creek gave way dropping the wagon and team to the bottom of the stream, a distance of about 16 ft. Neither the team or Mr. Lovitt were injured.

LOCAL AND AREA NEWS: Sitting judges for the district, Grier, Thompson, and Waggoner, were re-elected. The village board has authorized the placing of signboards on the highways at the outskirts of the village warning autoists to observe the 10 miles per hour speed limit law for incorporate villages. Ray Meyers, son of J. O. Meyers of Dallas City, was killed in an automobile accident in Fairfield, Iowa. Mr. W. H. Bushnell of the W. S. Shield Engineering Co. of Chicago is in the village supervising the laying of the water system mains and installation of the system in general.

Dr. I. F. Harter writes from Sabetha, Kans. that they are drinking mineral water and taking the rest cure at that location. (People had great faith in "taking the waters" to cure all kinds of maladies. One such resort was located near Kirkwood, Ill.)

Walter Logerstadt of Olena plead guilty in Justice Morgan's court to a charge of assault and battery preferred by his wife and was fined $20 plus costs.

A large number from here took in the big automobile races at Galesburg and saw Eddie O'Donnell in a Deusenberg car win the 100 mile contest in 1 hour 36 minutes and 35 seconds. J. H. Moody, one of the most highly respected citizens of the Reed neighborhood, died at the home of his son H. J. Moody near Little York following an apoplectic stroke. A train known as the "beauty special" carrying the prize winners from the East, South and Middle West beauty contest recently conducted by the Universal Film Co. and the Chicago Herald, passed through town shortly before midnight last Saturday. On account of irregularities in the levies for road and bridge purposes last year, the C.B. & Q. Railroad, through decisions rendered in county court, was successful in resisting collection of taxes levied in four townships.