The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

The 1916 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross
Registrar for Daniel McMillan Chapter, N.S.D.A.R.1916

Stronghurst Graphic, March 2, 1916

FIREMEN'S FAIR: The treasury of the Village fire Department, which was about depleted by the recent purchase of fire hose, has been replenished to the amount of something like $130 as the result of the very successful fair held at the Lyric Theatre Thursday and Friday evenings. The response of the citizens of the village and community to the appeal of the firemen was both liberal and hearty. Amongst the donations which were auctioned off by Spiker and McElhinney each evening were live chickens, a duck, a live pig, bread, cakes, pies, enough canned goods to stock a small grocery, hardware, glassware, furniture, free paper hanging, free black smithing, cigars, stationery, newspaper subscriptions, grain fruit and vegetables. Oft times bidders were induced to pay several times the worth of the offered article.

Considerably hilarity and good natured chaffing was indulged in during the auction Each evening preceding the auction was a program of motion pictures and vocal and instrumental music and a select reading by local talent. Considerable interest centered about the drawing for the cut glass dish which took place at the close of Friday's auction.

After the slips representing admission and purchases of auctioned articles had all been collected and shaken up in a box, Teddie Long was allowed to draw three tickets from the box as it was held up at arm's length by two other small boys. It had been announced that the person whose name was on third slip drawn would receive the prize; and Teddy surprised the audience and himself and illustrated the fickleness of chance by picking his own name from the box on the third drawing.

GEORGE PENNY DIES: George W. Penny, better known to everyone in the vicinity as "Cap Penny," died Feb.25th at the home of his sister, Mrs. Anna Smith of Stronghurst. Several weeks ago he was stricken with typhoid fever. And had been thought to be on the road to recovery when a relapse occurred.

The deceased was the eldest of the children of the late W.H. and Ellen (Britt) Penny and was born on a farm near Raritan June 10, 1862. His whole life was spent in this vicinity where he engaged in assisting his father in the latter's extensive farming and stock raising business and later in looking after his own interest in the same line. He was a partner in the mercantile firm of Wax & Penny but did not take an active interest in the conducting of the business. He is survived by two sisters, Mrs. Anna Smith of Stronghurst and Mrs. Leota Reynolds of Fairfield, Iowa, and one brother, P.B. Penny of Terre Haute.

He was a member of the Lily Lodge I.O.O.F. of Stronghurst and funeral service were held in the lodge hall with interment in the village cemetery.

WEDDING BELLS: On Feb.19th Mr. Granville Sawyer and Miss Ollie Houtchens were married in Burlington. Another wedding in the same place occurred March1st between Al Burg, son of Mrs. Carrie Burg, and Miss Nona Billups, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Richard Billups.

1891 GRAPHIC: Rev. H.G. Likjekrantz of Chicago had located in Stronghurst and was ministering to the Swedish Lutheran people here. Prof. A.J.Bond had organized a singing class of 15 pupils. John Bowen who lived 3 1/2 miles south of Stronghurst on a farm, dropped dead from apoplexy on Feb. 27th while stepping off the distance at which he had fired two heavy charges of shot at a flock of wild geese. Applying for teachers' certificates were made by Roda L. ???, Flo Tine, Georgietta Burrell, Johnnie Lant, Fannie Annegers, Ina Clover, Addie Ross, Ellen Shaw, Sophia Bradley and Dick Hall.

EPIDEMIC OR NOT? During the past week considerable excitement amongst the citizens of the village centers on rumors circulating the surrounding country regarding an epidemic of small pox alleged to either be imminent or already raging in Stronghurst. Something over six weeks ago Reed Salter, who with his wife and child has been making his home with the W.E.Salter family, was taken ill with what the attending physician pronounced a case of LaGrippe. After several days a slight eruption appeared upon the patient's head and neck. Another physician incidentally saw Reed and expressed the opinion that he had chicken pox and advised him to isolate himself for a time from other family members. The eruption disappeared within four or five days and after thoroughly fumigating his sleeping room and clothes, Reed again appeared upon the streets and resumed his practice as veterinarian.

Several days later his wife and young child became slightly ill with symptoms similar to Reed's case. They, however, were not sick enough to call a physician. Within a few days they had apparently recovered. Later, the little daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Silas Salter, who live in the same home, showed symptoms of the malady and last week Mrs. Silas Salter herself was taken ill. A physician was called and after examination pronounced the case one of small pox and gave the opinion that all had it.

On Tuesday, Dr. Crawford of Springfield, a member of the state board of health, confirmed the diagnosis. Following his advice, the president of the village has placed a quarantine upon those homes in the village of any who are known to have been in the Salter home within the last 20 days. Churches are advising vaccination as a precautionary measure.

Although 6 to 7 weeks since the malady was pronounced to be small pox and although various members of the Salter family have up and until less than a week ago freely mingled with people of the village on streets, businesses and public gatherings and several visited in the home, not a single case so far has developed.outside the Salter family. It can therefore be reasonably stated that at this time no epidemic of small pox exists in Stronghurst. Upon the authority of Dr. Crawford, it can be stated that the village is not in any grave danger.

LOCAL AND AREA NEWS: Attorney W.C. Ivins left on a business trip to Huntingdon, Ind. H.C. Kruse of Minneapolis, Minn., a company representative, looked over the big gas engine at the electric light plant which Mr. Schierbaum purchased last spring. Leonard Brokaw was on the Chicago market with a shipment of stock Mr. and Mrs. Joe Dixson and son are moving in from their farm to the home of Mrs. Mary Dixson where they will remain for the present. Mrs. M.E.Beardsley and daughter Blanche were shoppers in Galesburg. Mrs. Beal has returned to the Old Ladies Home in Knoxville from the Galesburg hospital where she had a cataract removed by Dr. Parry. She has been blind for 3 1/2 years and as the operation was very successful, she will be able to read again.

TERRE HAUTE TALES: Ruth Negley, only daughter of Albert N. and Clara M. Negley passed away at the home of her uncle, Mr. Perry Beeman in Kewanee, Ill. after a short illness. She was 21 years, 3 months, 27 days old. Burial was in the Terre Haute Cemetery.

Charlie Polson is moving from the Cooper farm to the Wagner house in the north part of town. Mrs. Josie Anderson is having a furnace installed in her house in that same area. The Thursday Evening Club was entertained at the I.W.Lovitt home with Ada Peasley and June Lovitt serving. The third number on the lecture course was given by Mr. Pheinfrank. His subject was "Interrogation." George Morris, Jr. of the north country, has gone to Berthoud, Colo. The play and box supper which was held at the school house one mile north of town netted $20.

GLADSTONE GLEANINGS: The school entertainment Tuesday afternoon and night cleared $36.67. Besides serving pie, sherbert, cake and coffee, the peanut, pop corn and candy booth run by Ruth Forward, Thelma Hedges and Eva Fryer and the paper hat sale by Mrs. F.D.Dutton were features of the evening. The drills and exercises were good considering the crowded conditions of the school house. Charles Kemp shipped a car load of stock to Chicago. He and his wife went up to the city to care for the stock and see the sights. Glen Bruen left for Wiggins, Colo. where he will farm this year. James Sloan, state game commissioner, thinks he found everyone of the opinion that duck shooting is no good this spring.

William Forgety, son of Mr. and Mrs. Geo. Forgey of Gladstone, married Miss Emma Rickets, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Rickets of Oquawka, at the bride's home. Clyde Galbraith, who is suffering severely from rheumatism, is taking treatment in Monmouth. The railroad section force has been increased and rumor is that the pay will be increased. C.O.

Meers has moved from Sand Lake house back to town in the Gus Peterson's house. Dan Logan has bought the Len Hedges building and is remodeling it for a butcher shop. Frank Kelley is bridge building in Missouri for the "Q." Clyde Brouse of Biggsville is moving to the Sand Lake club house.

CARMAN CONCERNS: Mrs. Georgia Curts of Burlington called in town. A new son has made his appearance at the Virgil Dixon home. The Sunday School social netted quite a sum of money. Roy Coffman and Omar Crose left for Nodaway, Mo. where they have work on a dray line. A new son has arrived at the Fred Rehling home. School has been closed for two weeks on account of measles. Nine of the pupils from here who are attending Dallas City high school are sick with them: Chas. Tharp, Albert Runge, John Dowell, G.W.Howell, Geo. Marsden, A.C.Babcook, and W.L. Marsden. No service was held at the church on account of the disease.