The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

The 1915 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross
Registrar for Daniel McMillan Chapter, N.S.D.A.R.1915

Stronghurst Graphic, Nov. 25, 1915

WINS THE CONTEST: The guessing contest conducted by H. D. Lovitt and advertised in the Graphic proved a most effective drawing card to the Lovitt store and called attention to Zephyr brand of four.

There were 464 guesses on the weight of the mammoth sack of flour exhibited in the show window and when the time for announcing the name of the successful contestant had arrived the store itself and the sidewalk adjacent were packed with a big crowd of people eager to learn the results. The only person guessing the exact weight which was 222 1/2 lbs. was Mrs. C.C.Collins; and the prize, a half barrel of Zephyr flour was awarded her. (What a marketing tool! The entire town turned out and no doubt bought other items.)

1890 Graphic: The 82nd birthday of Mrs. Crenshaw was celebrated at the home of her daughter Mrs. Sarah Wilson by about 40 friends and relatives on Nov. 23rd. Architect Dunham of Burlington inspected the new school building and pronounced the work completed and satisfactory. Charles Swigert, a former well known Olena man, died at the Kirkwood sanitarium on Oct. 22nd. (Young's Lake was a health spa at one time and people believed that if you soaked in special waters that you would be healed.)

N. Wever caught about 1000 lbs. of carp weighing from 5 to 12 lbs. each by running the water off his pond near Media.

Two tramps and five head of horses were cremated in a fire which destroyed the barn of Dr. O.H.Russell at Lomax. The evidence of another tramp, who escaped, showed the fire had occurred after a drunken brawl, which had rendered his companions incapable of getting out of the reach of the flames.

The Drover's Journal published in Chicago reports that John Evans and son shipped a train load of 18 cars of cattle and another train of 17 cars of hogs of their own feeding from their Iowa ranch to Chicago. The cattle sold at an average price of $4.90 and the hogs at $3.82 1/2 per hundred.

J. C. McDILL DEAD: James C. McDill, one of Henderson County's oldest citizens and for many years a leading merchant in Biggsville, died at his home there last Saturday afternoon at 1 p.m. Mr. McDill was a man who was highly respected by all because of his integrity of character and upright life. The cause of death was paralysis with which he was stricken on Monday of last week. He is survived by two sisters, Mrs. Ellen Stanley and Mrs. R.C.Graham and by one brother, David C. McDill, all of Biggsville. Mr. McDill was 85 years of age.

DROWNED NEAR SCIOTA: John Cecil, the little 3 year old son of Mr. and Mrs. Thalus Huston of near Sciota, drowned in a small stream about 80 rods from their home. Shortly after dinner the little boy accompanied by family dog strolled away from the premises. The parents felt no uneasiness over the boy's absence for a time, believing that the dog would protect him from danger. Along towards 5 o'clock however the dog returned without the little master and the parents now throughly alarmed, immediately instituted a search which resulted in finding the little body of their son lying in about 2 feet of water at the edge of a bridge from which he had apparently fallen.

LOCAL AND AREA NEWS: Robert Wilson is attending the Gem Business College at Quincy. Mr. and Mrs. Ed Bowen from Moline, Ill.? are now employed as musicians at the Lyric Theater, the former as violinist and the latter as pianist. (Movies were silent so music was needed to enhance the theater experience. The pianist would play a fast number when the Indians were chasing the settlers and a slow, soft flowing piece during a love scene.) Ray Jarvis and family of Carman loaded a car for a move to Iowa. (Like many, the West continued to draw them with the lure of fame and fortune.) J.G.Sanders left for LaPlata, Mo. where he will visit relatives before going to Marceline to visit more relatives.

He then leaves for Bakersfield, Calif. To spent the winter with his daughter, Mrs. Hal Headen. Frank Schnee and sons Fred and Lloyd were here last week taking photographs of local scenes and individuals which were shown on the screen at the Lyric Theatre. The attraction drew a big audience and furnished occasion for lots of merriment. Mrs. Silas Salter and babe and Miss Edna Salter left for Williams, Calif., where Silas now works at the barbering business.

A buggy occupied by Marie, Ruth and Raymond Fordyce, who are attending school here, was overturned on Broadway near the Towler store when the horse they were driving became unmanageable. The children were all thrown out and the horse ran away, dragging the buggy south on Broadway for about a block and wrecking it quite badly. The children escaped with a few slight bruises and were able to report at school the next morning.

At Lomax the remains of Mrs. Rebecca Paul were shipped back from Tremont, Iowa for burial. Miss Catherine, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Watson, won the piano in the Al Stott contest at the Booster Store in Gladstone. Several boys were arrested for fighting on the Sabbath in the village. It is hoped this will teach them not to do so in Gladstone on Sunday. Mrs. Angeline Forker suffered a stroke of paralysis at the home of her sister, Mrs. Parra Galbraith, Sabbath evening.