The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

The 1913 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross
Registrar for Daniel McMillan Chapter, N.S.D.A.R.1913

by Virginia Ross

Stronghurst Graphic, March 20, 1913

MRS. NANCY FOOTE DIES: News of Mrs. Nancy Foote's death was conveyed in a letter from a son of Henry Smith with whom she was making her home in Wells, Tex. Her death occurred on Feb.11th, following an illness of only a few days. She had lived with the Smith family since leaving here about ten years ago. They first went to Girard, Kan., where they resided until about three years ago, when they moved to Big Well, Texas. From there they moved to San Antonio last year and just a few days prior to her death they moved to Wells, Texas. Mrs. Foote's maiden name was Brewer and she was a native of New York State. She was 83 years of age at the time of her death.

She and her husband were pioneer residents of Henderson County and lived many years at the old homestead now owned by Thomas Moore. Two children were born to them, but both died many years ago. Mr. Foote was a brother of the late George and Frank Foote. Mrs. Brewer (Do they mean "Foote?" as obituary was for Nancy Brewer Foote.) was a sister of Mrs. George B. Stewart of Stronghurst and also of the late Charles Brewer.

CROOK CAPTURED ON TRAIN: Last Sunday forenoon, Village Marshall Putney received a telegram from Ft. Madison asking him to be on the lookout for a Negro who had early that morning robbed a comrade with whom he was rooming and made his escape on an east bound Santa Fe freight train. The train pulled into the station about 1 o'clock and the marshall conducted a short search, finding him hiding in a coal car. He was arrested and taken to the calaboose and held until Assistant Chief of Police Kennedy of Ft. Madison arrived, then he was turned over to that officer. The amount of money stolen was $6.85, which was found on the person of the prisoner when he was searched. The man's name is Frank Farrow and he is said to be a well known character of the lower strata of Ft. Madison society.

MRS. JOHN SIEGWORTH DIES: Eliza W. Tibbits, the sixth child of Henry and Susan Tibbits, was born in Norwood, Ill. June 5, 1889, and departed this life March 13, 1913, at the age of 23 yr. 9 mo. 8 da. Early in life she lost her mother and her father died Nov.9, 1893, leaving her an orphan at the age of four years. She was taken into the home of Mr. and Mrs. John Henry Strodtmann, who tenderly cared for her as their own and this was her home until the time of her marriage on Jan.11, 1912, to John Siegworth. On March 5th a baby girl, Mary Irene, was born to the couple. All seemed well for a time but after a few days the mother's strength began to fail and the end came the morning of March 13th.

She leaves to mourn her loss a faithful husband and little babe, Mr. and Mrs. Strodtmann and the following brothers and sisters: Walter E. of New Boston; Mary E. Lukens of LaPorte, Ind.; Henry M. of Lomax; Hugh M. of Canton; and Lulu L. Bell of Decatur, Ill.

YALEY GOLDEN WEDDING CELEBRATED: G.W.Yaley and Sarah J. Harris were married at Burlington, Ia., March 19, 1863, Rev. Wm. Salter officiating. For 50 years this worthy couple have traveled the pathway of life together. The celebration of their half century of wedded life was held at their home in the north part of Stronghurst by a gathering of children and grandchildren. A bountiful repast was a feature of the occasion and before guest departed they presented the couple with a number of handsome and useful articles appropriate to the occasion and also a purse of $50 in gold pieces to each of them. The children and grandchildren in attendance were Mrs. Ida F. Mellinger of Boise, Ida.; Mrs. Ella Yaley and daughter Lenore and Mr. and Mrs. F.E.Yaley of Burlington, Ia., Mr. and Mrs. A.C.Yaley and son Hugh of Stronghurst.

ASSESSMENT VALUATIONS FOR 1913: County treasurer Amerman and the various township assessors met at Oquawka and decided upon the basis of assessment of personal property for this year as follows:

Horses and mules, $100 to $125. Stallions, Reg. $500; 3 years in use $250. Fat cattle, 6c a lb.; stock cattle, 5c a lb; milch cows, $40; 2 year old heifers, $24; 1 year old heifers, $18; sheep, $3 a head; hogs, $6 a hundred; steam engines new $1,000; new separator $500; automobiles, used 1 year, one half the cost; 2 years, one-third; pianos $48 and up; merchandise, two-thirds invoice value. Wheat 70c; corn 36c; oats 24c; rye 50c, timothy hay $9 a ton. (With these figures you could determine your taxes and be prepared to pay when the sheriff came to your town to collect.)

LOCAL AND AREA NEWS: Rev. Geo. H. McClung, who has a pastorate at Dwight, Ill., and who was called to Decorra to preach the funeral sermon of Mrs. John Siegworth, a former parishioner, was greeting old friends in Stronghurst.

John Emmett and his daughter-in-law, Mrs. R.C.Emmett, and children all left for Trinidad, Colo., to join Bob, who went to the mountains some time ago for the benefit of his health. Bob was to take the foremanship of the Santa Fe Yards at Trinidad.

New Easter postcards at Lazear's drug store. (You see these today at estate auctions and antique stores.) Tom Bowen, who has been in the employ of the Santa Fe at Ft.Madison during the winter, is soon to be transferred to Kansas City.

A deal was closed in which Frank Crenshaw sold the corner lots at the intersection of Main and Mary Streets occupied by the old Reynolds blacksmith and wagon shop to A.J.Davis of this place and George Cable of Burlington, who will fix up the place for a garage.

John Jenny, the veterinarian who made his home with Frank Johnson south of Stronghurst, died from pneumonia after a very short illness. The remains were shipped to Keithsburg for burial.

The Otto Huntley home in the west part of town has been quarantined because of diphtheria. Harold Richey, the son of Mr. and Mrs. C.G.Richey, has accepted a position with the Franklin Automobile Co. at Syracuse, N.Y. and expects to leave his home at Monmouth for that place.

OLENA OBSERVATIONS: Charles Lyons and wife have moved to their new home west of the village. Al Booten, Jerry Hicks, and James Brown have moved their families into Olena and Mr. Seines of Carman has moved to the George Brewer place south of the village. Ed Dowell of Oquawka has move into one of the tenant houses leased by Charles Watson by whom he has been employed. Erlin Lant expects to leave soon for the Northwest. Mr. Dalton did a fine day's sawing for Arthur McKeown.

We notice by the press that Washington Society had hardly gotten over the shock of having no "Inaugural ball" until they received shock No.2 when President Wilson and wife, Vice Pres. Marshall and wife, Secretary of State Bryan and wife sent out the edict that no wine or liquors would be served by them at any of their social functions. We think the head of our nation is a good proper place for such activities and pray the good work may go on. (What a contrast to the social scene today!)

In Gladstone they have commenced painting the Catholic Church with Father Owens of Monmouth looking after the work.

BIGGSVILLE BRIEFS: Walter Carothers and Lew Dyson went to Regina, Canada. The Republicans, Bullmooser, and Democrats held caucuses in town. C.L.Kilgore has made a new case for his large regulator clock and it is a fine piece of work. It is made of solid oak and stands 8 ft. high; he has installed it in his home. Mrs. Elizabeth Bohne died March 14th, with the funeral being held in the Methodist church. She was born in 1830 and married in 1863.