The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

The 1913 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross
Registrar for Daniel McMillan Chapter, N.S.D.A.R.1913

Stronghurst Graphic, July 24, 1913

OBITUARIES***ROXIE MURPHY AUSTIN: Roxie Ellen Murphy was born at Atlantic Ia., Sept. 9, 1883, and came with her parent to Illinois in March 1884. For nine years the family lived in and near Terre Haute. Twenty years ago they came to Stronghurst and here Mrs. Austin grew to womanhood. She was married Sept. 26, 1906, to Dr. A. M. Austin, who was then engaged in the practice of his profession here.

Four years ago this month she was taken sick and the following October the family went to Colorado in the hope that a change of climate would prove beneficial to her health. They returned to Illinois the following summer and Mrs. Austin's health seemed to be considerably improved.

The insidious disease tuberculosis, which so often lures its victims into false hopes, had however fastened its grip upon her and she soon began to fail again. Three years ago in August Dr. Austin located at Mendon, Ill., which has since that time been the home of the family. During the six months preceding her death, Mrs. Austin was confined to her bed most of the time but was always cheerful and felt that she would soon be better. The end came peacefully early on the morning of July 24 when she quietly fell into the last sleep. The funeral services were conducted in the M. E. church of Mendon on Friday afternoon July 18 at 2 o'clock, the sermon being preached by Rev. C.T.O. Schacht of Good Hope, Ill.

During the stay of the family in Colorado, Mrs. Austin connected herself with the M. E. church in Canon City.

Of the immediate family besides the husband, two little girls, Mildred Eizabeth aged 6 and Dorothy Morton aged 4 are left to mourn the loss of a tender and devoted mother. She is also survived by her parents, Mr. and Mrs. F. J. Murphy, and sister Edna, all of this place...

***WILLIAM WALLACE DREW*** Word was received in Stronghurst that William Drew had passed away at El Paso, Tex., the evening before. Mr. Drew and his wife had gone to the southwest country several months ago in the hope that the climate there would prove beneficial to his rapidly falling health. While the end came rather suddenly, it was not altogether unexpected. The remains arrived in Stronghurst last Monday morning and were taken to the home of Mrs. Harriet Drew, the mother of the deceased. Here funeral services were conducted and interment in the village cemetery.

William Wallace Drew was born July 3, 1868 at the home farm near Stronghurst where he lived until he was 21 years of age. He departed this life at El Paso, Tex., July 17, 1913, at the age of 45 years and 14 days.

Upon leaving the farm he secured employment with the C.B.& Q. R.R. at Creston, Iowa, where he remained until 1891 when he accepted a position with the Pere Marquette, a new road just opening in Michigan. He served the road faithfully as conductor until his promotion to trainmastership three year ago. After a year's service in that capacity he was to have been promoted to superintendency when his failing health forced him to seek a change of climate.

He married Firma Lillian Mouiding at Redding, Ia., Dec. 20, 1892. To this union one child, Nettie Myrle was born. He is survived by his wife Lillian and daughter Myrle, and by his sisters Abbie of Stronghurst, Annie C. of Springfield, Mrs. Benjamin Johnson of Bertrand, Neb.; Mrs. Fred Timmerman of Wapello, Ia.; and his brothers Chas. E. of Burlington, Ia.; Frank of Chamberlain, S.Dak.; and Lewis H. of Great Falls, Mont...

***MRS. C.E. PERRINE*** Mrs. Clarence E. Perrine died at her home in Raritan on Friday evening July 18th after a brief illness from malignant goiter. Mrs. Perrine's maiden name was Lillie A. Tate and she was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Tate. She was born in Point Pleasant Township, Warren Co., Ill., Aug. 23, 1871. She married Clarence Perrine on June 24, 1871. He with four children, Clem, Maurice, Esther and Ardell, are left to mourn her departure. She is also survived by her mother, three brothers and four sisters and a large number of other relatives.

Mrs. Perrine had been a member of the Raritan Baptist Church since 1896 and the funerals services were conducted there with interment in the Raritan Cemetery...

STOLE A WATCH: Porter Brown who has been living at Davenport, Ia., for some months past was in Stronghurst several days the latter part of last week and early Sunday morning was arrested by Marshall Putney on a warrant sworn out by A.J.Davis, Jr., charging the theft of a watch.

The prisoner was taken before Squire Morgan who after hearing the evidence, decided that there was a strong presumption of guilt and that he was warranted in binding Port over until the next term of court in the county. The bail was fixed at $100 and in default of same the prisoner was taken to the county jail that same morning.

It seems that Davis was in Stronghurst Friday evening in his auto and on reaching home discovered that his watch, which was an open faced gold one, was missing. He telephoned to friends here to be on the look out for it and told the places where he might possibly have dropped it. While the search was being made, it developed that Port had showed a watch of the same description to C.E. Lynch, the operator at the depot, claiming that he had found it. It was also learned that he had gone to Galesburg on Saturday the day following. He returned on No.5 early Sunday morning and was arrested soon after.

Port did not deny having had the watch in his possession but claimed to have found it. He admitted, however, that he had used it in securing a loan of $6 which he obtained from a Galesburg jeweler. He claimed that he went to Galesburg at the invitation of a stranger whom he met at the station and who agreed to stand the expenses of the trip, that after reaching the city they became separated and that being without funds and anxious to get back to Stronghurst, he had used the watch as security for a loan obtained as stated above. He further claimed that he had intended to redeem the timepiece as soon as possible and then advertise the fact of having found it so that the rightful owner might be found. The story did not seem to be sufficiently creditable to the squire to justify the release of the prisoner. Port was accompanied on his arrival from Davenport by a young lady to whom he claimed to have been married on last Decoration day. She took her departure from Stronghurst on Friday and Port remained to seek employment and claimed that he had obtained work on the Buren farm west of town.

HE KNIFED HIM: A.H.Warner, an aged farmer of Gladstone is in jail in Burlington, Ia., charged with assault with intent to commit murder. The victim of the assault was special officer C.A.Ream of the C.B.& Q. railroad, who was endeavoring to prevent Warner from boarding a train at the Burlington station Saturday night while the latter was under the influence of liquor.

As he was being led away from the train, Warner drew his pocket knife and plunged it into the body of Ream, the blade penetrating the officer's liver. The wounded man was hurried to a hospital and soon became very weak from loss of blood. His condition is said to be still critical.

Warner is 71 years of age and it is said that he did not seem to realize that he had committed a serious offense or what the consequences might be to himself.

***OBITUARY***MRS. L.A. PENDARVIS: Elizabeth Richardson Pendarvis was born in Aurora, Dearborn Co., Indiana, Oct. 11, 1849, departed this life July 19, 1913 at her home on South Prairie, aged 63 years, 9 months and 5 days. She was the daughter of Emanuel and Rebecca Richardson. Left motherless at the age of two years, she grew to womanhood under the wise care of her aunt, Mrs. Nathan Powell. In 1858 she moved to Henderson County, Ill., where she has since lived.

After her marriage in 1875 to Lemuel A. Pendarvis, her life was one of happy devotion to her family. To this union six children were born: Perry P. of Keosauqua, Ia.; Albert R. of Meservey, Ia.; Earle A. of Waukomis, Okla.; Effie, Glen and Grace at home, together with the husband and six grandchildren, remain to mourn the loss of a dear with and mother. In early life she converted and united with the Methodist church...

HEAD ON CRASH: Two autos were badly wrecked and their occupants considerably shaken up and bruised in a head-on collision at the corner south of town near the McKeown place. One of the cars was that of H.N.Vaughn, who with his family was coming in to attend the evening services at the park. The other had just been loaned to a party of young people who desired to take a spin into the country. The party was made up of John B. Fort, who was acting as chauffeur, J.F.McMillan, and the Misses Marie and Alice Davidson, Vera and Marie Mudd and Ruth Dunsworth. That no one was seriously hurt was owing to the fact that neither car was going at a high rate of speed. The force of the impact, however, was sufficient to smash the front end of both cars and damage the engines to a considerable extent. The cars were also locked together in such a manner that it took several hours to get them apart. The worst injury to the occupants were those sustained by Miss Marie Davidson, who was sitting on the front seat of the car driven by Fort and who was thrown violently forward against the windshield and the mechanism used in operating the machine and considerable bruised up. All the occupants of both cars were also severely jolted. Neither driver blames the other for the accident as both were holding the center of the road and each was unaware of the approach of the other car until too late to avert the collision. The corner where the accident occurred is considered an especially dangerous one by autoists as the road is extremely narrow at the turn and a high hedge obstructs the view and makes it impossible for anyone approaching the corner to see anyone coming from the opposite direction.

LOCAL AND AREA NEWS: County Judge R.F. Robinson will be acting Chief Justice of the Municipal court of Chicago for the next five or six weeks. E. H. Loft, who has been operating a livery barn here for several months was married on July 17th at Luray, Mo. to Miss Grace Cleek, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ben Cleek of that place. Mr. and Mrs. Loft have taken up their residence in Biggsville and will engage in the hotel business there. The first reunion of the Spears family in several years was held at the Clarence Richey home northeast of town with about 50 guests present. Laura, the little daughter of Mr. and Mrs. C. F. Brewer was taken to a Galesburg hospital for an operation for appendicitis. Several people in this vicinity report seeing a large meteor explode in the northwestern sky and leave a trail of sparks in its wake, which remained visible as a band of fire for a long time. The fire at the Maynard farm reported previously was not caused by a cigarette but by the sparks from the threshing engine. Property lost was less too, it being now estimated at about $500.

OQUAWKA OCCURRENCES: Preston Plummer expects to leave for Wheatland, Wyo. soon. Thomas Mitchell lost a valuable horse to heat prostration; it had been driven in from the north of town and dropped dead on the street. Fred Schlotzhauer's annual clearance sale is doing a fine business. Lon Graff, a painter employed by the C.B.&Q. was overcome by the heat and transported to the Burlington Hospital where he is doing better. Wm. Hartgrove purchased a new Studebaker automobile from Cliff West of Biggsville. A brick wall was laid on the east side of the Parson Block in the North part of town. The I.O.O.F. are sponsoring an excursion on the Steamer Sidney next Saturday so all may have the opportunity to see the big dam.(I presume the one in Keokuk.) The Board of Education are installing drinking fountains in the school rooms. Mrs. Walter Brouse was visiting her mother, Mrs. Edward Fliege.

Mr. Christie who farms the Jamison land between Oquawka and Biggsville was badly hurt. He was cutting his oats when a storm came up and in trying to quiet his horses that had become frightened, was knocked down and tramped, the binder passing over him cutting and bruising him considerably.

The Essex firm of carpenters are in Gladstone remodeling the Squire A.W.Lynn property. Mr. Mathews of Kansas City was here to see his son who is confined to the county jail for horse stealing; he tried to arrange bail. Oquawka residents are now owners of 22 automobiles. Glenn Hoskins and Dillon Bros. have been working at the Keithsburg button factory since closing the factory here. Phillip Braun is building a new residence in the north part of town. The "Sky Pilots" of Oquawka are enjoying themselves in a daily work out (Sundays excepted) at their favorite game of lawn tennis at the school house grounds which they have fitted up. George Hall was on the Chicago market with a carload of fat cattle.

LOMAX LINGERINGS: The following are new movers into the New City: R.V.Rettig, Colusa, Ill.; Cecil Zern, Burnside, Ill.; Ralph King, Burlington, Ia.; Wm. Hughey, Springfield, Ill. The foundation for the Orville Sparrow Canning factory is being laid and the building will be rushed to completion just as fast as weather will permit. T.F.Norfolk and A.A. Harvie, Secretary of the Clifford Ore Concentrating Co. came over from Ottumwa, Ia., to have their first look at their new factory building.

Both were highly pleased with the temporary building and said they did not expect anything half so good. Mr. Norfolk has just returned from Joplin, Mo., where he has been erecting the concentrator at that place the last six months. I.A.Mann and W. Heffner have sold their stock in the New City grocery to T.J.Piner and C.T. Porter who have moved here from Ewing and Lewistown, Mo. W.H.Sellers accompanied the two families to Lomax.

C.H. Kistner, the proprietor and editor of the Herald and the manager of the Dallas City Enterprise is taking a vacation, the first in nineteen years. He will spent the time at Colfax, Ia. away from the cares of newspaper work and the strenuous life of city building. R.V.Rettig will work for the Town Company and Ed Bayless will be in charge of the automobiles for the company. John Garrett of Quincy brought his team to work for the Town Co. and will move his family to Lomax just as soon as a house can be provided for him.

LOCAL AND AREA NEWS: A daughter was born July 17th to Mr. and Mrs. O.M.Swisher, who reside on the Edgar Rankin farm northeast of town. Beginning the first Tuesday of August, the grocery stores in the village will close every Tuesday and Thursday evening at 6:30 p.m until further notice. Get a sunshade for your cultivator and save your complexion-Dixson Bros. Have you heard of "Burgoo?"

It will be served by the M.E. ladies at the picnic Aug.1 & 2. Try a dish for only 10 cents. Will Carmer and wife and Elmer Dalton and wife of the north Carman country have just returned from a trip to Limon, Colorado where they purchased farms. Charles Martin, a young man who is employed as inspector in the works of the American Bridge Co. at Ambridge, a suburb of Pittsburg, Pa., visited the home of his uncle, C.R.Kaiser.

The first car of new Illinois oats to reach the Chicago market this year was received there on July 21st and was billed by Wm. Daughterty, the local buyer for W.H.Perrine & Co. from the Decorra station. The car graded standard and weighed 32 lbs. to the bushel. The oats were of the variety known as Fourth of July oats and were raised by B.L.Mudd and his son Roy and Al Links.

In Gladstone Taylor Galbraith shipped two car loads of sheep to Chicago; they were accompanied by Richard Cadel.

MEDIA MEANDERINGS: Lewis Cavins and family have moved from the Mathers farm to their own place three miles south of town. Frank Lant, west of town, is preparing to build a residence on his farm. The village is now putting new walks in front of the properties of Mrs. Bacon and Mrs. N.E. Lukens. Mrs. Barnes of Blue Mound, Kan., has been visiting her brother, Mr. Wm. Brook, who is in very poor health. Mrs. E.S.Mathers is bedfast nursing a very sore knee which is thought to be a bruise but is proving quite serious. Mr. Jim Rankin is quite low at the home of his son Emi, suffering intense pain from a cancer of the neck.