The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.
Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross
Registrar for Daniel McMillan Chapter, N.S.D.A.R.1913
Stronghurst Graphic, July 3, 1913
DR. BUTLER, THE DENTIST: Dr. W.O. Butler will have been practicing dentistry forty years beginning on July 1, 1873 in La Harpe and has been in business continuously since. He has enjoyed a fairly renumerative practice but has not reached the full measure of his early expectations and he is yet unwilling to retire. His motto all through life has been, " Make Good Any Work that Fails When I Am at Fault" which sentiment has been strictly adhered to. He has kept up-to-date in all modern work by attending societies, conventions, and reading the journals of his profession...Of the five students who studied dentistry under Dr. Butler, but one is in practice today, Dr. W.W.Hart of Chicago.
He has had associated with him Dr. C.O. Lovitt for eight years or more and after the death of Dr. Lovitt, Aug.7, 1909, he operated alone until July 1, 1911, when Dr. W.H. Lutton was taken in as a partner. They are nicely equipped in their office claiming it to be the best lighted and best ventilated office in the country, fitted with all modern conveniences, electric engine, lathe, furnace, fountain, spittoons, etc.
Dr. Butler informs the paper that he expects to continue in business as long as he has health to do so and has no intention in leaving LaHarpe.
HUCKINS-LOUDEN MARRY: Dr. J.H. Huckins and Miss Reva May Louden, two of Terre Haute's most popular young people were married June 26 at the Hotel Burlington at noon by Elder E.A. Jordon of Old Bedford. The bride is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Sidney Louden and the groom is a successful practitioner of medicine in Terre Haute.
LOMAX LINGERINGS: An automobile garage is much needed in the New City and the man who is first to build one here will have one of the best paying garage's in the country. Besides the large number of automobiles owned locally, there are many coming every week on business, pleasure and sight seeing trips and we note that many of them get a little out of order and almost all need supplies of one kind or another. The Town Company have again started the stone quarry and stone is being crushed for use in building construction. Grading on Eight Street, the only street on which residence lots are being sold at present, was begun. Surveyors for the Town Company are busy surveying out grades for street building, paving and sidewalks. The Lomax Motor Car Co. have received one car of lumber of the several which they expect. Val Hirshfield, the Town Co. timber man, has been experiencing considerable difficulty in getting a barge to take the lumber from the saw mill on Sparrow's Island to the mouth of Dugout Creek from which place it will be hauled to the planing mill. He had secured one at Fort Madison and was getting along nicely until the Oil Company chartered every boat there to help them in relaying the pipe which was overflowed by the water backing up because of the closing of the Keokuk dam. Val says he will get a boat if he has to make one. The Hotel Lomax has received a brand new fire proof office safe.
J.B.Howell and H.B.Gilmore, the proprietors of the Howell Gilmore Harrow Company, were in Lomax looking after the plans for the construction of their factory buildings. They will require two buildings: one for the factory building 60 x 100 and one for the foundry 60 x 80 feet. Mr. Howell has placed one of the riding harrows to be made here on exhibition just west of Emerson & Medley's drugstore on 2nd Street. Their factory buildings are to be up ready for them to place their machinery by the first of August.
J.L.Bradfield and C.E.Greer of LaHarpe were making a thorough investigation of Lomax opportunities as was R.M.Denson of Ursa, Il. (Numerous individuals from all over the state came to Lomax to contemplate investment.) Mr. Love made a trip to Roseville to tell the people there about the New City. While down at Lewiston, Mo., A.M. Milstid traded lot No.10 in block No. 1202 for an 80 acre farm. R.B.Williams of LaHarpe, formerly cashier of the First National Bank at LaHarpe, is assisting in the Lomax bank while Mr. Strickler is kept from his work. F.A. Strickler will be confined to his room caused by varicose veins in one of his limbs. The exertion of climbing the bluff south of Lomax several days ago was too much for him. W.P.Clifford writes from Joplin, Mo., that he will start the Dry Ore Concentrator there this week and then come immediately to Lomax to get the factory here in operating condition.
For some time the T.P. & W. railroad have had a work train on the branch between LaHarpe and Lomax putting the track into first class condition. Now comes the information that the C.B.&Q. and the Pennsylvania Railroad systems have reached an agreement that all freight shipments originating on the Q west of Burlington, Ia., and bound for points east of Chicago will be turned over to the T.P. & W. at Burlington to be hauled to Effner, the Eastern terminus of this road where it is to be delivered to the Pennsylvania lines. All freight originating in the east on the Pennsylvania lines and bound for west and southwest points reached by the Q are to be turned over the the T.P.&W. at Effner and delivered to the C.B.&Q. at Burlington. We are informed that this will route a half million cars more per year over the T.P.&W. and will possibly make the branch from LaHarpe through Lomax to Burlington the main line for passenger service. Lomax needs the new passenger service as visitors from the east with the present route must go a very round about way to get here. (What happened? Obviously, Lomax did not become the main line. What might have been would have made the New City.)