The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

The 1913 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross
Registrar for Daniel McMillan Chapter, N.S.D.A.R.1913

Stronghurst Graphic, July 10, 1913

THE FOURTH OF JULY: While there was no formal public celebration of the fourth of July here this year, it would not be strictly accurate to state that the day passed off quietly. From early morn till dewy eve and considerably later, a nerve racking and ear splitting din created by cannon crackers, torpedoes, toy pistols, and dynamite canes in the hands of the small and large boys was kept up, and our citizens were kept reminded of the fact that the burning of powder played an important part in the securing of our national independence.

The fact that there were no serious casualties to report is due more to good luck than to the manifestation of a tendency on the part of the younger element to observe the nation's birthday in a safe and sane manner. The business houses closed early in the day and a number of our people spent the day out of town visiting friends. Quite a number also entertained friends at their homes.

The ball game in the afternoon between the regular team and the band boys attracted quite a crowd of spectators and proved to be a close and hotly contested game. Ten innings were required to decide the contest and the score at the close stood 11 to 10 in favor of the regular team.

Along in the cool of the evening a number of families and picnic parties spread their lunches upon the velvety sward of the village park and enjoyed an outdoor repast seasoned with the relish of social converse. Later the band gave an excellent program from the stand in the park.

About 10 o'clock a very pretty display of fire works which had been secured through popular subscriptions, was given on Broadway near the Santa Fe railway crossing after which the greater part of the crowd dispersed to their homes.

STRONGHURST VILLAGE MEETS: The village board met on July 7th with Pres. C. H. Curry presiding and the following members present: Hicks, Davis, Simpson, Brokaw, Dixson and Foster Lazear, Clerk. The board voted to have movable support for board circus seats made, which would become village property, and would be furnished for use on the occasions of out of door gatherings. The chair announced the appointment of A. L. Russler, Frank LaFrenz, J. Rezner and Wm. Gilliland as special police to serve on July 31 and Aug.1 and 2, the period of the I.O.O.F. picnic. They tabled the request of Oscar Campbell for money to help defray the costs of street sprinkling.

FORT, THE COMPOSER: Charles Fort has recently composed several pieces of music which have been accepted by publishers and are meeting with popular public approval. "Chuck" is now teaching school at Renbens, Ida., and it seems that in addition to teaching the young western idea "how to shoot," he has spent his spare time in the cultivation of the muse. The author's first two productions are entitled "As I see you in Dreamland" and "For I'm Longing."

DIES IN OLENA: ***J. P. Long*** Mr. Long who has been suffering from cancer for a number of years, died at his home near Olena. Mr. Long was 81 years of age and a veteran of the Civil War.

***Andrew John Swanson***John Swanson died at his home on the James Dean farm (presently the W. W. Ross farm), north of Olena July 3rd after a long illness from pernicious enema. Andrew John Swanson was born in the parish of Vong, province of Skaraborg, Sweden, April 6, 1859, and was 54 years, 2 months, and 27 days old at his death. He was married in Sweden on April 22, 1882, and came with his wife to this country 5 year later. The family first made their home in Minnesota, moving to Des Moines, Ia., later to Burlington, Ia. and about 15 years ago to Henderson County, Ill.

Six children were born to the couple, five of whom survive their father: Mrs. Hildah Peterson of Stronghurst, Mrs. Esther Monroe, living southeast of Raritan; and Ellen, Anna and Roy who live at home. He is also survived by three sisters and a brother, all living in Sweden.

He had been a member of the Swedish Lutheran Church of this place since 1906. Funeral services were conducted there with interment in the Stronghurst Cemetery.

BACK FROM GETTYSBURG: R. C. Siens returned from Gettysburg, Pa., where he attended the grand reunion of the veterans of both armies which participated in the great battle fought there just 50 years ago. He reports a most enjoyable trip and is enthusiastic over the treatment which the old veterans received at the hands of government and state officials who had charge of the affair.

He says that the great camp which was prepared for the use of the visiting survivors of the war was the most perfect in the matter of convenience, sanitation, etc. There were over 75,000 Civil War veterans in camp, while the soldiers of the regular army, boy scouts, Red Cross nurses and outside visitors swelled the grand total to something like 3 times the number. He was most impressed by the absence of any apparent feeling of bitterness between the survivors of the two armies as they met on the field where 50 years ago they were engaged in mortal combat. The Southerners outdid the men of the North in the matter of true courtesy and acts of kindly consideration toward their former foes. The discipline in the camp was of the highest order and the brawl which occurred in the town and the news of which was flashed all over the land occurred in a bar room in the town-the participants were all more or less under the influence of liquor. The most uncomfortable feature of the occasion was the extreme heat and there were numerous cases of prostration. Mr. Siens stopped in Harrisburg and was wonderfully impressed with the magnificence of the state capitol building.

LOCAL AND AREA NEWS: Miss Gertrude Petterson of Monmouth has returned to her home after acting as a nurse in the Dr. Findley home. Sparks from a cook stove started a blaze which burned off the kitchen roof and a portion of the roof of the main part of John Shick's house in the east part of town. Prompt action by the fire department saved the house from destruction. About 35 of the young friends of Mr. and Mrs. Elzie Gilliland surprised them with a utensil shower at their new home on Elizabeth Street.

ADVERTISEMENT: We will promptly remove dead stock from your premises. Phone Biggsville Rending Works. (Where was this located?)

THE PRICE OF THINGS: In an ad for Beardsley's Store, one finds that a man's suit could be bought from $7.00 to the highest priced one at $17.00. Also advertised are boys and children's knee pants from 43 cents to $2.35, children's knickerbocker suits from $2.48-$4.35, work clothes from 43 cents to 89 cents, underwear from 21 cents to $1.38, men's and boys' shoes from $1.80 to $4.00 and genuine Panama Hats for $4.25 to $5.25. Today these prices seem unreal, but remember: everything is relative. Otherwise, the worth of the dollar had a greater value then.

LOCAL AND AREA NEWS: A son was born to Mr. and Mrs. Harvey Duncan who live on the R. N. Marshall farm southeast of town. While picking cherries at A. E. Wetterlings, Miss Ella Ahlers lost her footing and fell, breaking her collar bone. Mrs. James McCollom and three children from Dodge City, Kan., are visiting her sister-in-law, Mrs. Foster Lazear. D.M.Day, a former Roseville man, is now engaged in banking and real estate business at Winnebago, Neb. Mrs. Maria Barnes of Blue Mound, Kans., is visiting her brother, J. W. Brook.

The Raritan Reporter says that clover hay is so plentiful in that locality that farmers are cutting and raking it and giving it away to those who will haul it off. Back for a visit is S. L. McClelland, formerly of Olena and now of Washington, Ia.

GLADSTONE GLEANINGS: D. S. Bryan lost a fine horse. Miss Veda Duvall is home from St. Anthony, Idaho where she has been attending school. Some calvary army people from Burlington were in town singing and preaching on the street. Taylor Galbraith went to Elkhart, Indiana, and bought a new automobile. Several townspeople went up the hill and had a fine fireworks display on the evening of the Fourth. The James Cargill family of Stronghurst have moved into Mrs. Roseling's house. Mrs. Will Carmichiel is having two rooms built on her house so that her mother, who is quite old, past 84, can come to live with her.

LOMAX LINGERINGS: Dr. O. R. Hurdle, dentist, came over from LaHarpe looking for a location to open up in business; he expects to be in Lomax every Monday. The Town Company announced that up to July 3rd they had disposed of $102,050 par value of their bonds. The offering at 50 cents on the dollar will be withdrawn July 10th. Ed B. Jacklin and son of Tremont, Mich., were in town looking over the New City. One of the Mexicans working for the Santa Fe was bitten by a rattler. He was taken to the Galesburg Hospital and reports said he died. Mr. and Mrs. W. T. Jones of Carthage expect to build on Tenth Boulevard some time this summer. Frank Peters, the Town Company time keeper, moved into his new bungalow on 8th St. Several more families will move over in this part of town just as fast as the houses are in condition. The new planing mill is now in operation and it located on the Q west of White City. This is a complete quipped wood working factory and the Town Company intends to make all their own window frames, sash, finishing material and all other mill work used in the construction of homes or factories to be built by them.

MEDIA MEANDERINGS: A lady from Galesburg has been employed as music teacher at the academy; she will also have charge of the music department in the public school. Wilbur Pendarvis, who has spent the past two years as Supt. of Schools in the Philippines, is expected home. A farewell reception was given for Rev. McElree and family. Arthur Shook is suffering from a severely cut hand which he received while cutting hedge. Joseph Mathers has purchased a new Birdwell clover hauler.