The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

The 1914 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross
Registrar for Daniel McMillan Chapter, N.S.D.A.R.1914

Stronghurst Graphic, December 17, 1914

A CENTURY AGO: Henry Vance and family from Dakota were visiting at the home of Mrs. Vance's father, Samuel Miller.  The death of Josephus Clover of Carman neighborhood was reported as was the marriage of Orr McQuown and Miss Nettie Stewart of Biggsville having occurred on Dec. 11, 1889.

CALIFORNIA FRUIT DRAWS CROWD: Dr. I.F.Harter has an exhibition in his drugstore of a display of California fruit which is attracting the admiration of every one who beholds it. His old friend and Stronghurst's former citizen, R.L.Taylor of Fresno, California, sent grapefruit, oranges and lemons to the doctor. Just to show what nature can do in the land of fruit and flowers, Mr. Taylor sent a twig from a grapefruit tree upon which there hangs seven specimens of that fruit, nearly all of which measure 15 inches in circumference and are wonderfully beautiful in their appearance.  If Mr. Taylor sends any more consignments of California products of that kind here, he will have himself to blame if he finds he is obliged to play the host to a lot of his old acquaintances from this section of the country next year.

CONTRACT FOR DEEP WELL LET; At an adjourned meeting of the village board the contract for drilling a deep well on the lots near the town hall recently purchased by the village, was let to the Sewell Well Co. of St.Louis. There were eight bids and the Sewell bid was almost $1000 cheaper than the next lowest bid. Their proposal at drill a well 8 inches in diameter at $3 per foot for the first 300 feet and $2 per foot for any depth below 300 feet and to furnish and $2 per foot for any depth below 300 ft and to furnish the casing for the first 300 ft. The board accepted this plan on the recommendation of Mr. Shield, the engineer who is in charge of the work of constructing the water work system.

Mr. Sewell, who attended the bidding meeting, promised to have the well completed within 60 days provided no unforeseen accidents or delays occur.  He has a drilling outfit at Princeville, Ill., where he put down a well last summer. It appears, therefore, that before spring opens we will in all probability have our water supply ready and with the progress already made the pipe system should have the water available early next summer.

BOY'S CORN CONTEST: First prize in the Henderson County Farmers' Institute's Annual Corn contest given for the largest yield per acre for 1914 was won by James Musgove, son on Spurgeon Musgove of Rozetta; he wins a silver cup donated by E.I.Dain and son of Monmouth, Ill., a real estate firm. Second prize, $15 was won by Glenn Marshall, third prize $10 went to Henry Marshall; these boys are the sons of County Superintendent of Highways C.R.A.Marshall of Stronghurst. Fourth prize $5 was awarded to Lloyd Whiteman, son of William Whiteman of Gladstone Township.

James is a pupil of Aurora school and his acre produced 76.6 bushels of corn. Glenn and Henry Marshall are the pupils of the Marshall School and their yields were 60.5 bushels and 56.4 bushels respectively. Lloyd Whiteman is a pupil of Coloma School and his yield was 50.4 bushels. Lloyd won first prize in the ten ear exhibit this year, thus winning for his school the permanent possession of the silver cup given to the school winning it three years in succession.

HOW WE GET THE NEWS; (This applies to today as well as 1914) Day before yesterday a perfectly nice lady called us up and with tears in her voice reproved us for not mentioning the fact that she had had a friend visiting her last week. We told her that she had not let us know anything about it and that therefore, we did not know that she had a visitor. Then she said, "Well, you should have known. I thought you were running a newspaper."  Wouldn't that rattle your slats? Some people think that an editor ought to be a cross between Argus and Anna Eva Fay. They seem to think our five senses are augmented by a sixth that lets us know everything that happens, even if we see, hear, feel, taste or smell it not. Dear Lady, editors are only human or at least, almost human. If you have a friend visiting you, if you are going away, or have returned from a visit out of town, if Johnnie falls and breaks his arm, if your husband chops his toe instead of a stick of wood, if anything happens that makes you glad, or sad, happy or mad, call us up. Tell us about it. That's the way to get it in the paper.

WEDDING BELLS: Leroy Van Doren, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Geo. S. Van Doren who reside 3 ½ miles southeast of Stronghurst and Miss Hazel Burke, the daughter of Mr. And Mrs. James Burke of Blandinsville, were married in the M.E.Church parsonage in Blandinsville on Dec.10th by pastor Rev. Van Dittem.  The bride has made her home during more than a year past with her sister, Mrs. C.E. Periine of Raritan. Mr. and Mrs. Van Doren expect to reside in Raritan and the former will carry on farming operations upon a piece of land a short distance south of town.

HORSES DIE: The so called corn stalk disease has proved fatal to a number of horses belonging to farmers in this vicinity lately. The McGaw brothers who farm the Brook place north of Stronghurst lost two valuable mares, John Shaw of the same neighborhood has lost two horses and C.E.Lant has lost one. Veterinarian R.P.Frans informs us that the so called corn stalk disease is in reality cerebro-spinal meningitis and that while it may originate from different causes, it is usually caused by the animal eating musty or mildewed grain or fodder upon which a growth of fungus had developed during the growing period. He recommends that farmers keep their horses out of the stalk fields and see that they get only clean and bright grain and hay to eat. He also recommends that a light laxative of some kind be given with the feed occasionally in order to keep the animal's bowels in proper condition.

LOCAL AND AREA NEWS: At the Stronghurst village board meeting an ordinance naming certain streets and extensions passed. T.E.Walker and family arrived from Princeville with their household effects and Ed will once more have charge of the Santa Fe section here. By the new arrangement, John Baxter, who has been in charge, is to be transferred to Pontoosuc and will move his family there soon. Bruce Stewart who is engaged in farming near Crawfordsville, Iowa, expects to visit his brother Roll at Galesburg before returning home. John Fordyce recently received a Christmas present from his brother Mort Fordyce of Fordyce, Pa., in the shape of two barrels of apples consisting of Rambos, Grimes Golden and other delicious varieties. Mrs. Mary Barney has been suffering from a severe attack of appendicitis and other complications have developed. It was thought best to have her removed to the Galesburg Hospital this morning. Dr. Harter accompanied her there.(See article later in this column)

J.W.Stine sold to Tom Dodds the farm located 3 miles southwest of Stronghurst in Terre Haute Township, which he had obtained from O.J.Sanderson a few years ago. This reduces Will's real estate holdings to the town property, which he owns, he having disposed of his farm in Raritan

Township a few months ago.

The Mississippi River is frozen so that footmen are crossing and a few teams have also braved the ice. Mr. and Mrs. Sam Claybaugh have moved into the village property of C.H.Curry in Olena. A Xmas tree and program will be held Xmas eve in the Olena M.E.Church. Those desiring to place presents on the tree would oblige committee by bringing the same in the afternoon of the 23rd. Mrs. Ed Carlson and family are making preparations to move to Minn. in the near future.

In Media vicinity Mrs. John Weaver went to Creston, Ia. to visit her daughter Mrs. John Drain. The old school house was sold at public sale and was bought for $50 by Bert Yaley.

CARMAN CONCERNS: The high school boys played basket ball at Lomax with the score being 12 to 4 in Lomax's favor. The C.B.&Q. railroad adjuster settled with Harry Dowell for his horse that was killed by the train some time ago.

Mr. Louie Rehling is the new postmaster; he succeeds A.C.Babcook who held the post for 18 years. Mace Pendleton while loading a gun had the misfortune to have a shell explode in his hand and blew off the end of his finger and tore quite a slit in his hand. Dr. Emerson of Lomax was called to dress it.

Dec.14, 1914 LOCAL SHINE IN PLAY; An audience which taxed the seating capacity of the opera house witnessed the presentation of the play, "The $10,000 Receipt," given by a home talent company. Some of those who took parts were A.S.McElhinney, Del Dixson, Hollis Links, Clarence Hartquist, Grace Marshall, Eugene Baxter, Mary Hicks, and Miss Lucille White. The receipts of the evening were about $100, which will go to the cemetery aid association.

1889 Graphic: On Dec.18th James Sloan, an old and highly respected citizen of Biggsville dropped dead while conversing with some friends in Frank Abbey Ôs store. "little Joe Barnes" had bought a farm in Mirage precinct, Schuyler County. Announcement of the marriage on Dec.19th of Mr. Frank Davis of Stronghurst to Miss Anna Ross of Decorra. James Foote departed on a trip to the Far West. J.A.Thompson, president of Tarkio College was visiting his brother Prof. Thompson of Media. Hometown merchants advertising in that issue: W.E.Coquilette & Son Implements; W.C.Ivins, Geo. M. Foote-hardware; Dunsworth Bros., Putney & Co., H.G.King-general merchandise; Hunter & Boggess-furniture; and R.C. Henry-lumber (Thus, you have an idea what businesses existed in town only 2 years after its founding in 1887.) Professional cards of the following physicians also appeared: Dr. M.S.Hopper, Dr. J.M.Lionberger and Dr. J.A.Bailey. Newt Jones had bought out a restaurant stock in Raritan.

MRS. MARY BARNEY DIES: Mrs. Mary A. Barney died at the Galesburg hospital Tuesday night following an operation for appendicitis which was performed on the Thursday preceding. It was known that her case was a serious one on account of complications, but it was hoped that an operation might save her life. For two days following the operation it seemed as though she might recover. A relapse occurred, however, and she began sinking and continued to grow weaker until the end came as stated above. The remains were brought to Stronghurst and taken to the residence. From there they were taken to the M.E. Church this morning and funeral services were conducted with interment in the village cemetery.

Her death is a particularly sad one as she leaves behind her five small children, the eldest being only about 12 years of age. She had made some provision for the little ones, however, by taking out a policy of life insurance in the Fraternal Reserve organization for $1000, payments which she had been able to keep up.