The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

The 1913 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross
Registrar for Daniel McMillan Chapter, N.S.D.A.R.1913

Stronghurst Graphic, September 4, 1913

BIG TIME AT CHAUTAUQUA: Notwithstanding the intense heat, the big Chautauqua tent erected on Broadway at the northwest corner of the village park, has been filled at each session of the Assembly now being held. On Sunday General Jackson told of the victories for good government which had been won in the line of enforcement of prohibition laws. Monday was "Indian day" and the band of Pueblos brought by Dr. Geo LaMonte Cole from the Southwest presented a novel and pleasing entertainment with their weird songs and dances. Tuesday's entertainers were stars in their respective lines. Miss Nell Bunnell proved she still possesses complete mastery over a soprano voice, Miss Edna Crum captivated her audience by the exquisite grace and skill as a violinist, and the few impersonations given by Miss Clare Kvello demonstrated her usual ability in that line and her work at the piano was artistic in every way. Tuesday's lecturer was Harold Morton Kramer who told of his life as a cowboy, soldier, reporter and editor. Bland's famous band and orchestra furnished the musical part of the entertainment for Wednesday. Denton C. Crowl, the "Sam Jones man" held the attention of the people as effectual as the famed Georgia preacher himself could have done when he was alive...

"BROTHER" RESIGNS: Last Tuesday evening, Geo. W. VanDorn, who for the past 8 years has been the faithful deliveryman for the grocerymen of the village, gave notice to his employers that he desired to quit the job and that evening's trip would be the last. The announcement came as a surprise to the business men for whom he worked as well as the village patrons. "Brother" and his faithful "Fannie" had come to be looked upon in the same way that we regard some permanent institution. The absence of the sight of the familiar delivery rig of "Brother VanDorn" will bring a sense of lost to the citizens of Stronghurst. (We too would miss some of the ordinary things we take for granted such as the Quill on Thursday, coffee at the Hurryback, or now the time and temperature on the Bank of Stronghurst sign if they were to disappear. Everyone likes life to be consistent so we can understand the reason this story appeared on the front page in 1913.)

DIES ON WAY HOME: With but a few moments warning, death entered the community and claimed a wife and mother of several young children as its victim. Mr. John T. Shaw, who resides on the McQuown farm 5 miles north of town had been to Stronghurst on the Monday evening with his family attending the chautauqua. While going down a hill just north of town, a slight accident occurred to the vehicle in which they were riding and on reaching the bottom of the hill, Mr. Shaw told the family to get out while he made some temporary repairs. The family then re-entered the carriage and the journey was continued. After going some distance Mrs. Shaw, who was sitting on the back seat with two of the children, began to lean rather heavily against one of the girls. After a time the latter called the father's attention to the matter and on investigation he found Mrs. Shaw unable to speak and helpless. They were not far from the residence of Mrs. Chas. Lant and on reaching his place they stopped and aroused the family.

Mrs. Shaw was carried in and laid upon a couch and Dr. Marshall was summoned by telephone. He was soon on the scene but was powerless to do anything to relieve the sufferer, and she passed away shortly after midnight without having regained consciousness. The remains were removed to the family home the next morning and prepared for burial.

Funeral services were conducted at the home by Rev. H. P. Jackson of Olena of whose church the deceased was a member. Mrs. Shaw was the sister of Mrs. Joseph Woodward and Cash Peck of Stronghurst.

She was subject to attacks of heart trouble and while it is not known positively, it is thought probable that the excitement caused by the slight accident on the road, brought on one of these. Mrs. Shaw is survived by her husband and five children, the eldest a boy of 16 and the youngest a girl of 4.

WENT TO MAYO'S: Mrs. Gus Peterson went to Mayo Bros. hospital for treatment as she has been an invalid for a number of years and hoped the eminent surgeons might be able to locate the cause of her trouble. Preliminary examinations and tests convinced the doctors that the patient's trouble was caused by the presence of some foreign substance in the internal organs and an x-ray machine was brought into requisition and by its aid it was discovered that a large nail was lodged in the lower bowels. It was decided that an operation would be necessary to remove the nail and Mrs. Peterson passed through the ordeal last Friday. The operation was a success and the reports are that the patient is recovering nicely. The nail was a ten penny cut nail such as were in common use twenty years ago and on being told what was the cause of her ailment, Mrs. Peterson remembered having swallowed such a nail when she was a little girl of nine years.

LOCAL AND AREA NEWS: The annual reunion of the Richey & Marshall family, the descendants of Richard and Helen Richey, early settlers of this part of Illinois, was held at the C. E. Fort home just west of Stronghurst. The main feature of the occasion was the sumptuous dinner which was provided for the 65 guest present. Geo. S.Van Dorn who lives southeast of town, is said to be suffering from a malignant goiter and has gone to Rochester, Minn., for treatment. Miss Elizabeth Brook has gone to Vernal, Utah, to teach English and German in the high school of that town. The Maple Grove people held their annual dinner in the grove adjoining the church. Geo. Hoffetitc and family moved to town from Pontoosuc and took up residence in the Dodds property in the east part of town. Mr. Hoffetitc is well known to people of this section where he has been buying produce for the Rand establishment at Pontoosuc. He has severed his connection with that concern and will buy produce for W. S. Wever of Princeville.

The town board received a number of steel culverts which they are laying at the intersection of the streets at various points in town. Miss Marjorie Thompson will teach at Foosland, Ill., a town in Champaign County. The Honey Creek bridge between Carman and Lomax on the C.B. & Q. burned out, causing considerable inconvenience to traffic over that branch. C. S. Cooper and wife have moved over from Raritan to the Chant property on the corner of Main and Elizabeth St.

Through the courtesy of Lem Logan this office received a sample package of "Frumenta," the new breakfast food manufactured by the Home Milling Co. of Lomax. The drought continues and is beginning to make itself manifest in the drying up of water courses and in the low stage of wells and cisterns. The past week has been one of the worst of the season as heat and dust is concerned and there seems to be no immediate prospect of relief.

The beautiful country residence of David Whiteman two miles west of Biggsville, was burned to the ground. The house was among the finest in the county having been recently remodeled at the cost of several thousand dollars. The fire started about 9:30 in a wash house close to the main building but the origin has not been determined. By the assistance of neighbors considerable of the furniture was saved.