The 1912 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross
Registrar for Daniel McMillan Chapter, N.S.D.A.R.

Stronghurst Graphic, Nov 7, 1912

A DEMOCRATIC LANDSLIDE: Professor Woodrow Wilson of New Jersey was selected as president of the U.S. by perhaps the largest majority ever given to a presidential candidate. Roosevelt ran second and Taft third. Countywide, the Republicans held on with the closest contest for state's attorney going to Fawley over Ivins of Stronghurst. Wm. Hartquist, the progressive candidate, was picked as the winner for the legislature.

Election day at Stronghurst passed off without any unusual excitement. Voters came in and quietly deposited their ballots and returned to their homes or places of business. An occasional knot of men would be seen discussing the issues upon the streets, but there was very little loud or boisterous conversation and no particular disorder. The heavy rain in the afternoon and evening prevented any gatherings on the streets and beyond the occasional whoop from a joyful democrat, there was little to indicate that it was election night.

The band boys' supper in Harter's hall was well patronized and the early returns marked up on a blackboard in the room were eagerly scanned. After it was ascertained that a great democratic landslide had occurred, the crowd turned its attention to the music and feasting and had a good time... (These few short paragraphs give you a picture in time; election day was usually noted for its uproar in the streets. Stronghurst had become civilized.)

OBITUARY: Joseph S. Nevius, an old time resident of this county and a brother-in-law of T.J. Parsons and Joseph Becket, Sr., died at Golden, where he was visiting friends.

Mr. Nevius came to Henderson County when a young man from Fairview with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Peter Nevius, who settled on a farm near Raritan.

On the breaking out of the Civil War, he enlisted in Co. L Seventh Illinois Cavalry and served in the campaigns of that regiment with credit. After the war, Mr. Nevius engaged in the mercantile business at Raritan for a number of years. Closing out his business there, he removed to What Cheer, Ia., where he also engaged in mercantile pursuits. From What Cheer he went to Burlington, Ia., where he made his home until the time of his death. For many years he was a traveling representative of the Connor Mercantile Co. of that city and after that concern was absorbed by the Schramn-Schmieg Co., he traveled for a St. Louis house. Being compelled by failing health to quit the road, he engaged in the insurance business.

Mr. Nevius was twice married, his first wife being the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. David Huggins, Sr., and his second wife a sister of Joseph Beckett, Sr., who lives south of Stronghurst. This wife and four sons are left to mourn. Of these sons, Marvin J. is employed in the government Printing Office in Washington, D.C.; Wilfred is paymaster in the office of Sec. of Agriculture in Wilson; Bert is an undertaker in the same city and Chester is in Panama where he holds a clerkship under the government... Interment was in the Burlington Cemetery.

The city of Nauvoo has raised $12,000 and has $2,000 more in sight for a canning factory to be built there. A factory which will turn out 25,000 cans of vegetables or fruit per day and which will take care of 300 acres of tomatoes is contemplated. A.V. Brokaw and family moved into town from their farm south of Stronghurst, taking possession of the house recently vacated by Ernie Wells and family. Last Tuesday, the doctors amputated the end of the thumb of the young child of Mr. and Mrs. L.E. Simpson who was injured in a washing machine; it is hoped that the rest of the hand can be saved. W.L. Spiker has rented a seven acre farm containing a good house and barn in the outskirts of Burlington. Will Dixon, Louie Dannenburg, Thos. Dixon, and Roy McIntire returned from Canada. Clyde Galbraith of Gladstone area had a new farm phone put into his home. Mr. Farrell Graham, who got his foot cut off by the cars three months ago, got a new cork foot this week and can walk fine.

Excitement occurred in Olena this last week when Rev. Bear, accompanied by Rev. Gimpson, while coming from Stronghurst Sunday afternoon to their appointment in the village, were met by an automobile which scared their horse. The horse became unmanageable and ran up on an embankment just south of the village, upsetting the buggy and hurting Rev. Gimpson. He, however, was able to give a good sermon at the appointed time. Edward Booten was so unfortunate as to let a young horse he was breaking get away from him Sabbath which resulted in a broken buggy. Mrs. Art Lovitt and her twin babies spent a week at the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Allen.

LOCAL AND AREA NEWS: A team of horses belonging to Dave Stewart and hitched to a farm wagon, created some excitement in town by making a wild dash for freedom down the alley in the rear of the business blocks on the west side of Broadway. Before proceeding far they met with an obstruction which brought them to a sudden halt and left them free from the wagon and almost stripped of their harness. The extent of damage was a demolished wagon box, a broken tongue, some damaged harness, and a severe nervous shock to one of our prominent citizens. Mayor Curry was taken violently ill while acting as judge on the election board and was obliged to go to his home. Dr. Marshall was called and attributed the illness to the effects of a headache tablet which Mr. Curry had taken that morning.

BIGGSVILLE BRIEFS: Mrs. Hugh Smith has been suffering with rheumatism and her sister, Miss Agnes McKelvy of Belfast, Ireland, who arrived lately and who expects to make America her home, is staying with her. Will Bailey has been attending the Agricultural college at Ames, Iowa, and came home to cast his first presidential vote. The Kirkwood schools were closed on account of diphtheria. Mr. Chas. Peasley of Stronghurst was a shouting Bull Mooser in our city Monday night (member of the Bull Moose political party). John Cook, who moved down to Southern Missouri last fall, came back and moved into Silas Dowell's house at Gladstone area. He says he has had enough of Missouri.