The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

The 1925 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross

Stronghurst Graphic: August 6, 1925

FATAL ACCIDENT: Nicholas Smith of Raritan, well known throughout Henderson and adjoining counties and highway commissioner for Raritan Township, was instantly killed last Tuesday morning, Aug. 4th at about 10:45 o'clock when the Ford coupe in which he was returning to Raritan from a business trip to Monmouth turned turtle on the hard road about a half mile south of Kirkwood.  With Mr. Smith in the car when the accident occurred was his little grandson George Freeman, four years of age who escaped without a scratch. 

Just how the accident occurred will probably never be known.  Reed Everett, near whose home the accident occurred, saw the car pass his place and was watching it when it went into the ditch.  His first thought was that Smith had seen an obstruction in the road and suddenly set the brakes on the car causing it to turn over.  This theory, however did not seem to be confirmed by an examination of the wreck and the surroundings.  Mr. Everett was the first person to reach the spot where the accident occurred and he found Smith lying dead beneath the wrecked car.  The little grandson was also found beneath the car but uninjured. 

A traveling man who was in Stronghurst shortly after the accident occurred and who saw the wreck stated that there were indications that the Smith car had left the pavement and that when the driver attempted to get back on the concrete, the front wheels had suddenly been deflected when they struck the shoulder of the paved strip causing the car to turn over.  When the body of the victim of the wreck was extricated, it was taken to Kirkwood and Coroner Lugg of Warren County was notified. At the inquest which was held in Kirkwood Tuesday afternoon, Dr. McClanahan to whose office Smith was taken after the accident stated that it was possible that the man had suffered an apoplectic stroke and thus lost control of his car.  The verdict of the jury was that Mr. Smith's death was due to a broken neck caused by his car turning over. The body was taken to the home of the deceased at Raritan.  Funeral services will be conducted at the Reformed Church Aug. 6th.  Mr. Smith was around 70 years of age and had been a resident of Henderson County practically all of his life.  He is survived by his wife, who was formerly Ella Crist, daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Adam Crist of Raritan.  Four children also survive: Alvia and Frank Smith of Kirkwood, George Smith of Chicago, Fred Smith of Raritan and Mrs. Elizabeth Freeman of Chicago.

LAND SOLD AT SHERIFF'S SALE: the former A.L. Negley farm lands lying five miles southwest of Stronghurst were sold at a sheriff's sale at Oquawka on Monday.  The property, all inTerre Haute Township was knocked off to J. E. Painter on his bid of $44,097.76.  There are 240 acres of choice farm land in the tract.

OBITUARY***MRS. A. J. STEFFEY: Mrs. A. J. Steffey passed away at her home in the east part of town last Thursday following an extended illness.  Emily Elizabeth Coan, daughter of William and Abigail Coan was born near Rome, Ohio, Dec. 15, 1851 and died at her home in Stronghurst on July 30, 1925, aged 77 years, 7 months and 17 days.  She came with her widowed mother to Illinois in the sixties, residing for a time at Lacon, Illinois and later moving to Creston, Iowa.  She was united in marriage to A. J. Steffey on July 2, 1885.  They lived in Creston and in Joliet, Ill.  and three years ago this month they came to Stronghurst.

Besides her husband and aged mother, who lives in Kansas City, she leaves behind seven brothers and two sisters: John Coan of Humbolt, Kansas; Benj. and Wm. Coan of Creston, Iowa; Asa Coan of Fountain, Colo.; Melvin Shipley of  Creston, Iowa; Harry and Frank Shipley of Chicago; and Miss Jennie Shipley and Mrs. Jessie Schuler, both of Kansas City. 

Mrs. Steffey became interested early in life in religious matters and spent many years in church work.  Later, because of poor health, she was compelled to become less active and became somewhat isolated from church activities.  Last spring when she learned that she was suffering from a fatal malady, she began gradually to put her house in order and as she approached the day of her physical dissolution, the clouds that sometimes obscure life's pathway were dispelled and the glory land came clearly into view.  Beseeching her loved ones to meet her inside the jasper walls, her spirit left the wearied body and went out to the tabernacle of the Most High.

Funeral services were conducted at the home.  Mrs. W. C. Ivins sang two solos and Rev. R. C. Myers made a brief talk.  Burial was made in the Stronghurst Cemetery.  Those from a distance present at the funeral were the following: Chester L. Steffey, Emery Steffey, Winnie Phelps and Clarence Winters all of Basco, Ill.; Charles L. Steffey and wife of Carthage, Ill.; Mrs. Mary E. Steffey and daughters, Phyllis and Thelma and sons Robert and Dixson of Dallas City, Ill.; Mr. and Mrs. Harry Winters and family of Abingdon, Ill.; and Mrs. Grace Salesman of Monmouth, Ill.  Stronghurst relatives in attendance were the following: Mr. and Mrs. Doug Steffey, Mr. and Mrs. Otto Steffey and Mr. and Mrs. Elsie Gilliland.  Pall bearers were Douglas Steffey, Chet Steffey, Robert Steffey, Harry Winters, and Elise Gilliland.

STATE CONTROL OF HARD ROADS: The building and maintenance of the State roads is only part of the duty of the Division of Highways, according to an interview with the State highway officials today.  When a state road is paved, the State assumes full responsibility for its upkeep forever.  In addition to maintaining the highways, it must exercise such control over traffic as to ensure that the roads are not put to improper use….

BANK OFFICIAL MOVES ON:  After nine years of faithful service as cashier of the First National Bank, Mr. B. G. Widney severed his connection with the bank in the capacity last Friday and on Saturday, accompanied by Mrs. Widney, their daughter, Mrs. Wallin, and daughter-in-law, Mrs. Geo. Widney, left for a visit with relatives in St. Louis.

Mr. Widney began his duties as cashier on August 1, 1916, succeeding J. E. Amerman, who is now cashier of the bank at Alpha, Ill.  He came here with a record of 19 years of service as cashier of the Farmers' Bank of North Henderson, Ill. which he helped to organize and of one or two years' experience along similar lines on the Pacific slope.  Both he and Mrs. Widney have been active in religious and social affairs of the community.  Mr. George Dixson is temporarily filling the place at the First National made vacant by Mr. Widney's resignation.  Miss Louise Rankin has also taken a temporary position in the bank and is learning the intricacies of the bookkeeping end of the business under the tutelage of J. F. McMillan, assistant cashier.

LOCAL AND AREA NEWS: Joe Peasley left for Canada with the view of purchasing some feeding cattle if he can find them at the right price.  Mrs. Perce Veech and son Max, Mrs. Wm. Bricker and Alfred Shallenberger left on an auto trip to Beaver Crossing, Nebr. expecting to visit relatives enroute.  At an election held in the village of Blandinsville it was decided by a vote of 150 to 7 to issue bonds in the sum of $4,000 ($60,200 in today's values) for the purpose of buying a fire fighting apparatus and securing a place to house it.  Mr. and Mrs. V. H. Peterson and Miss Grace Peterson of Gorin, Mo. were visitors at the Al Berg home.  The group drove to Galesburg to visit relatives and stopped in Abingdon at the Bernard Liby home before returning home.  The stork left a young son at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Boughten northeast of town last Monday. Miss Garnet Burrell underwent a successful operation for appendicitis at the Burlington Hospital.  Mr. George Fort was operated on by Dr. Winters at the Monmouth Hospital for the removal of a cataract from his eye.  D. H. Gilliland of Media, who has been seriously ill for some time, is reported to be gradually growing worse with but little hope held out for his recovery.  Mrs. George Shafer and daughter Eva left for a visit with relatives at Detroit, Mich.  They went by train to Chicago expecting to make the trip from there to Detroit by auto with relatives.  Relatives have received the announcement of the birth of daughter to Mr. and Mrs. Russell McQuown at Sandwich Ill. on Jul 28th; the name Marilyn has been chosen. The Stronghurst Boy Scout troop with Scoutmaster Myers and assistant Gerber are enjoying their annual summer camping outing on the banks of Honey Creek on "Foot Prints" farm west of Stronghurst.  Miss Jean Smith was rendered unconscious for an hour or so Wednesday evening when she attempted to alight from a moving auto in the east part of the village and fell, striking her head on the hard ground.  Paul (Baker) Tutwiler was adjudged a feeble-minded person at a hearing held at Oquawka last week and on Tuesday of this week he was taken to Lincoln, Ill. to be cared for at the State institution for the feeble minded located there.  Miss Hazel Stine has taken the position as operator at the local telephone exchange.  Miss Mickey of Biggsville has also been here substituting at the switchboard for Mrs. Kern who has been laid up with a sprained ankle.  Stronghurst and vicinity was well represented at the exhibition of Hagenbeck-Wallace circus at Burlington Wednesday.  Large crowds were at both the afternoon and evening performances.  Two young men of the village have been placed on their good behavior for a year in Justice White's court one evening last week having been apprehended while hovering near a suspicious smelling jug hidden along the roadside near town which said jug had been zealously guarded for several hours by an armed posse of Volstead Act crusaders.  (Prohibition in full force) Mrs. Drewis Kern has been confined to her home having sprained an ankle while going home from her work.

S. W. BRUNDAGE SHOWS AT BURLINGTON FAIR: The S. W. Brundage shows with 25 attractions and seven riding devices, making a half mile of amusement, will furnish the midway features at the Tri-State Fair.  Capt. Oscar LaVelle, in his thrilling high dives from the top of a hundred-foot ladder into a shallow tank of water will provide one of the exciting and sensational stunts offered.  LaValle is a sea going water hound and has spent considerable time along the Maine coast with government lifesaving crews as bathing beach guard and swimming instructor.

Of the splendid attractions offered by the carnival managers for the delight of the little ones in the Madam Edwards domestic animal show, she being one of the few equestriennes who train and educate their own stock for the sawdust arena.  The madam has a troupe of dogs and ponies that go through various antics that are always pleasing and highly entertaining to the little ones, especially when she presents Ambrose, the bucking mule.

BIGGSVILLE BRIEFS: Dr. and Mrs. Shum left for an overland trip in the western coast expecting to make the first stop at Clarinda, Iowa with his people then to Yellowstone and glacier National Parks, then to Seattle and probably to Alaska; they expect the trip to last two months. (How brave to attempt this at a time when roads were sketchy at best.) Mr. and Mrs. A. P. Henry and John and Dorothy returned from two weeks visit with relatives at Kalamazoo, Mich.  The village grocery stores which have been closed on Thursday evenings during the hot weather are now open again.  Mrs. Elmer Van Tyle of Tuckahoe, New York was called here by the critical illness of her sister, Mrs. Lucia Davis at the home of Dr. Henderson.  The Misses Fannie and Alice Ericson left for Dwight, Kansas to attend the funeral of their grandmother, Mrs. Frank Johnson, who has been quite ill for some time.  Their mother has been there for several months helping to care for her.  Miss Bernice Mickey is in Stronghurst to assist in the telephone work at the switchboard of the Inter-City Telephone Co.  Mrs. Carrie Wiegand has been helping here during her absence.  The threshing crews are getting along fine with the work; some have already finished the work and a number will do so this week.  Mr. and Mrs. Cas. Torpin of Deadwood, South Dakota called on friends last week.  He was a former resident and now works for the post office at Deadwood.  Mrs. Bert Liby returned from her several weeks visit with friends in Colorado.