The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.



The 1925 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross

Stronghurst Graphic: July 30, 1925

NEWEST SANTA FE DINING CAR: The Santa Fe Railroad announces a successful trip on the California Limited from Chicago to Los Angeles and back of its latest improved all steel dining car and club-lounge car, both built from original designs by the Fred Harvey system and embodying radical innovations.  The trial trip indicates that more passengers can be comfortably served at meals and in less time, also without any standing in aisles waiting for a seat.  Letter patent have been taken out on the diner, which is actually a restaurant on wheels with devices for much quicker service.  The last dining car patent was granted in 1865 to the Late George M. Pullman.

Except for larger cars and better equipment, the diner ordinarily in use on American railways is about what it was 50 years ago.  Aisle congestion, crowding in pantry and kitchen, and unavoidable delays in serving patrons have baffled the cleverest managers.  Only a radical rearrangement of the interior space offered any hope for permanent improvement.  Briefly, this is what the newest Santa Fe Fred Harvey Car, in connection with the club-lounge car, has done.  It bids fair to revolutionize that branch of railroading and improve the already high standard of railway meals on wheels.

These two cars are operated together and located at the forward end of the train.  The new diner has only one public entrance through the reception room in the club-lounge car, which, being next to and behind the dining car, is furnished with easy chairs available for use in case of any delay in securing satisfactory seats at tables.  Besides the customary barber shop bath and lounge, the club-lounge car has a small soda fountain, likewise has facilities for sale of candy, cigars and magazines.  Sleeping quarters and private bath for the crew of the diner are in this car.

The dining car seats 42 persons instead of the customary thirty or thirty-six.  Kitchen and pantry go all the way across from side to side.  A checker is employed, who also acts as cashier.  A pantryman relieves the waiters of considerable extra work.  The entire crew of waiters can occupy the pantry at one time thus further expediting service.  Automatic dishwashing, sterilizing and egg-boiling apparatus are notable features and the ventilation is simple.

The Santa Fe plans to build more dining and club-lounge cars of this new type, gradually replacing present models.  The station dining room service for certain trains will not be changed. (This was really big news and the public will want to book passage just to experience the new cars.  Watch The Harvey Girls with Judy Garland, a 1946 movie, to journey back in time when rail travel was exciting.  Presently, dining cars require booked reservations, require masks and will only accept credit cards.)

LOCAL AND AREA NEWS: Mr. and Mrs. Harry Hohstadt and daughter and Mr. Ross Benge and Miss Watkins of Arbela, Mo. were visitors at the home of Al Berg and family.  The county Sunday School officers met at the U.P. Church and planned a program for the County Sunday School Picnic to be held at Media on August 21st.  Leslie McMillan is spending this week with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. J. S. McMillan.  Leslie is the superintendent of equipment department of the Atlantic & Pacific Tea Co. (grocery stores).  He spent his first week in Holland, Mich.  Mrs. Chester Gibb of the north neighborhood is suffering from a badly scalded arm resulting from the breaking of a fruit jar which she had just filled and was attempting to seal (she was canning). Her burns were of such a nature as to require the attendance of a physician.  Postmaster J. F. Mains returned from a two-week vacation visit at the home of his brother, T. N. Mains and family in Palos Park, Ill.  Part of the time was spent in helping out with the haying on the farm which T. N. operates and part in touring the environs of Chicago and making note of the wonderful industrial development which is going on in those outlying districts.  Mrs. C. S. Schenck and son Edward of Raritan neighborhood each underwent an operation for the removal of tonsils at the Burlington Hospital.  Mrs. Glen Carlson was taken to the Burlington Hospital where she under went an operation for appendicitis.  She is reported to be making satisfactory recovery.  Dr. Fred Neilson of Sioux Falls, S. Dak. And Mr. and Mrs. Chalmers Fort of Evanston, Ill. drove from there to Keokuk, Ia. and inspected the big dam and power house.  On their return trip, the tourists stopped at the home of Chalmer's mother, Mrs. Anna Fort, west of town and took dinner.  Miss Francis Worley is at home enjoying a three weeks' vacation for her duties as nurse at the Burlington Hospital. 

Oat threshing is now well under way in this locality.  No big yields are reported, 40 bushels per acre seem to be about the high limit while yields of from 12-20 bushels are only reported in some instances.  Mrs. F. J. Murphy returned from a tour of the West including scenic points in Colorado and Yellowstone Park; she was accompanied by Mrs. Elizabeth Chandler of Alexis.  Peter Nevius and wife, old residents of this vicinity who have been living in Oklahoma for the past 30 years or more arrived here by auto from their home in Elk City, Okla.  Prof. Grady Fort and wife of Shenandoah, Ia., who are making a vacation auto tour of several states, have been visitors at the home of the gentleman's parents, Mr. and Mrs. C. E. Fort.  From here the tourists expect to go to Starved Rock, Ill. and from there up into Wisconsin for a visit with Mrs. Fort's relatives.  They also have in mind a visit to Canada before returning home to Shenandoah. Notwithstanding the fact that the Chautauqua program put on by the Dallas City people this year was one of the best ever given there, the enterprise failed to make expenses.  The plan of buying a program outright and placing the price of tickets at a figure which will be an inducement for everybody in the community to attend has been decided upon for next year.