The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

The 1925 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross

Stronghurst Graphic, June 18, 1925

A ROARING STORM:  Following several hours of intense sultriness accompanied by portentous clouds and the muttering of distant thunder, the most violent storm of the season broke here at about 2:30 last Sunday afternoon.  For the space of a half hour or more the rain came down in torrents while the electrical discharges were frequent and terrifying.  While there was but little wind in evidences in the lower strata of the atmosphere, the swirling tree tops and an occasional blast of cool air from the upper regions, bore witness to the fact that the air currents there were engaged in a tremendous battle.

It was estimated that the deluge of rain in some areas covered by the storm amounted to at least 4 inches.  Eave troughs and house gutters were inadequate to carry the flood of water which descended on the roofs of buildings and the water cascaded over the edges of the roads in miniature Niagara's.  Water courses were soon converted into raging torrents and the lowlands along all of creeks to the vicinity were submerged, converting these streams into wide rivers.  Perry Stamp, who lives north of town lost a cow which attempted to swim across a swollen stream and there were numerous cases of the narrow escape of other livestock in the neighborhood from a similar fate.  On account of submerged roads to the lowlands and the uncertain condition of bridges, a number of tourists who chanced to be in the vicinity when the storm broke were obliged to halt in the village overnight. The village was in darkness during the greater part of the night on account of the shutting off of the current supplied by the Illinois Power & Light Co., the interruption being caused by some line trouble in the vicinity of Dallas City.

While there was some damage to growing crops by flooding occasioned by the storm, the rain proved a boon to crops in general, corn especially being benefitted.  There have been showers practically every day since Sunday and the moisture coupled with hot sunshine which succeeds the showers is causing a luxurious growth of all kinds of vegetation including every variety of week indigenous to this locality.

While this particular section was fortunate in escaping from any wind damage by Sunday's storm, other localities were less favored.  It is reported that a small cyclone developed near Carthage and that the dwelling and other buildings on the John Gardiner farm two miles north of that city was destroyed and that Mr. Gardiner sustained a broken leg when he was blown out of the house by the force of the wind while a Mrs. Boyd, wife of a tenant, was injured by being pinned beneath falling rafters.  It is said that the force of the "twister," which fortunately lasted but a few minutes and covered  only a small area, was sufficient to uproot hedges, break off large trees and denude chickens of their feathers.  As an illustration of the freakish nature of the storm, a new wagon belonging to Mr. Gardiner loaded with oats was  standing on the premises and after the storm, no oats were to be found and all that remained of the wagon was a few spokes from the wheels.

A LETTER FROM PARADISE:  Letters home from faraway places were read with great interest as most never hoped to visit these exotic places.  Guy Stine shared a letter from R. E. Gallagher, who a few years ago was employed on the Stine farm south of town and is working on a big cattle ranch on the island of Hawaii.  Mr. Gallagher went to the Hawaiian Islands last winter with a shipment of cattle consigned by the firm of Gittner Bros. of Eminence, Ky.  After describing the voyage, which was made from New York in a  freighter by way of the Panama Canal and telling of the wonderful traffic which passed through that waterway and of the 17 days journey on the Pacific before docking at Honolulu, the writer continues under date of May 28th.

"I started this letter last Friday night but couldn't finish it.  It will go from here to Wismea tomorrow.  The mail goes down from here on Friday's and we usually get mail twice a week.  The ranch headquarters are at Wismea and the post office (Kamuela) is also at Wismea.  There is a Wismeaa on one of the other islands and in order to avoid a mix-up in the mail they named our post office Kamuela.

Honolulu is about 6,700 miles from New York City and we were just 30 days making the trip.  The stock came through in fine shape for being tied up for 37 days without exercise.  Two of the bulls had been shown for 3 years in the states and were in high flesh.  They suffered very much with heat down around the canal and a few days each side of it.  I had to blindfold the stallion loading and unloading him.  They were placed in quarantine one week in Honolulu as they are very strict here in the islands.  The stock were tested in quarantine and all passed O.K. and the several firms who bought them were well pleased with their purchases.  The Lambs sailed from Honolulu to Manilla and I felt rather lonesome for the old boat.  The were going to take some mules to Manilla and the captain wanted me to go along, but the mules were not shipped.  I rather think the Lambs went on around the globe and perhaps are in New York by this time.

Honolulu is a pretty town as most every house is set in a garden of flowers.  It is down at sea level and of course is a little warm.  There are showers of rain frequently most of the day and most every day.  One can see rainbows most any time even at night; these are moonlight rainbows.  There are many races of people and many nationalities-the most numerous being Japs.  The people lead an easy-going life; nobody hurries and they seen to get on very well.  Waikiki Beach is not such a wonderful place as it is advertised to be.  Most all tourists are disappointed with it.  They have a wonderful collection and odd shaped and various colored fish in the aquarium. There is much to interest tourists for perhaps a month in the islands.  The best feature of the islands is the even temperature and that is mostly ruled by the sea breezes.  There are about 30,000 soldiers, sailors and marines stationed in the islands.  Oahu, the island where Honolulu is situated is the strongest fortified island in the world.  There are guns hidden all through the mountains and old volcano craters, and the harbor is mined.  Do you remember Jimmie Jones who was around Stronghurst two or three years ago?  I think he said he played baseball there.  I didn't know him, but I accidently met him down at Honolulu.  He is in the army and when I saw him, he was looking for a soldier who had ran away from camp.  Jimmie was wishing he was out of the army and he had enough of Honolulu also.

The combined American fleets, the Atlantic, Pacific and the Asiatic have been maneuvering in Hawaiian waters lately.  There are 42,000 men in the fleets.  I would like to see them but I have no chance.  We send 70 turkey gobblers from here this week for the fleet.  The ranch sold over 2,000 last fall at 60 cents per pound.  The are big turkeys too.

I came out to the islands to take a job about 20 miles from Honolulu with a herd of Angus cattle, but the fellow wouldn't pay me what I wanted and he is one of the wealthiest men here.  I was about ready to return to the States when I got a chance of a good job on a two months trial, transportation home guaranteed and here I am and I am quite well satisfied.  I am with the Registered Hereford herd.  There are about 1,200 head in the herd now and in five years it will be the largest herd of registered cattle in the world.  All the heifers are kept and put in the breeding herd.  There are 37 calves so far this month.  It is, I think, the best herd of cattle that I have yet seen.  There are 300 cows as good as Old Gay Lad was and many are almost as good and most of them extra good milers.  Everything runs year around; of course, the pastures are good.  The herd bulls, twenty in number, and the most promising bull calves are fed grain twice daily.

We are 4,000 feet elevation on the northern slopes of Mauna Rea, 11,825 ft. high (??-hard to read) So far I can still see snow on the top of the mountain about 20 miles away. About 15 miles south of Mauna Rea is Mauna Lea, 11,875 which volcanos that are active at irregular intervals.  There are many old volcanos craters that have been dead for centuries on the pastures that I ride over every day.  They are all covered with good grass now and one can just make out the outline of the former fire pits.  The land here is all of a volcanic origin and is quite rough.

I have a very easy job here.  I go to work at 6 a.m., ride horse back most all day and everything is really done at 4 p.m.  Alex Napier, a Scotchman, is in charge of the Herefords and has been here 15 years.  He is a fine fellow and also John Gammie, another Scot who works with me.  Gammie and I stay in a little house together.

The climate here is ideal, temperature averages about 60 degrees.  The ranch has about 22,000 range cattle, 20,000 sheep and about 5,000 horses and mules, all sizes.  They raise 5,000 acres of corn usually.  This is a long letter, Guy, but I could write much more.  Give my regards to all the folks and the boys up town and drop me line or two sometime.  I am in a lonesome place.  Kindness wishes to all."-Bob Gallagher

HE PLED GUILTY: Enos Hardy, the young man who with his brother Daniel was arrested last winter on the charge of raising the amount on a check given him by Clarence Combines of this vicinity, pled guilty to the charge in County Court and was sentenced by Judge Gordon with a term of 11 months at the state farm at Vandalia, Ill.  The boys had previously entered a plea of not guilty and nearly the entire time of the court was consumed in the selection of a jury to try the case.  Enos retracted his plea of "not guilty" and by his confession of guilt absolved his brother Daniel who was released from custody by the court.  The boys have already spent about 4 months in the county jail and Judge Gordon announced that this time would be deducted from the 11-month sentence imposed upon Enos Hardy.

CAUGHT IN CYCLONE:  Mrs. Inez Dot sends the following letter telling of a rather terrifying experience which she and the Arthur Steffey family passed through while driving from Norwood, Minnesota to Ames, Iowa. "On our way down from Norwood to Minneapolis we had an experience which none of us would care to repeat; we were caught in the storm cyclone or tornado which destroyed Hopkins, Minnesota. (By either name, it's a terror.)  Hopkins is 18 miles from Minneapolis and we were about 3 miles from Hopkins when the storm burst in all its furry.  We think we owe our lives to the fact that we were going up a hill which had been cut down leaving high bans on either side.  We pulled the car in as close to the bank on the side from which the storm was coming and the bank was still about 2 or 3 feet higher than the car and having closed the windows in the car, all we could do was to sit and wait for the end-whatever that might be.  With big trees crashing all around us, it looked pretty bad for us, but you'll have to be in one to understand the situation and I hope you don't.

While in Norwood we had the pleasure of having a visit from Ebert Dunsworth and family who live in Minneapolis.  Ebert is manager of a chain of grocer stores.  He is the son of Mr. and Mrs. "Bud" Dunsworth, residents of Stronghurst some years ago.  He reports his parents now live at Phoenix, Arizona.  Also, we had a visit from Mr. A. Berry Campbell (a former LaHarpe boy) who married one of the Stronghurst girls, Alma Butler, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George Butler, a dealer in harness in "Ye Old Towne."  Mr. Campbell and family now live in New York City where he is in the electrical business.  He tells us that Mrs. Butler and Bertha are now in California with Mrs. B's brother."

OBITUARY: FRANK COOK-Word was received of the death at Fresno, Calif. of Frank Cook, son of Mrs. Adam Cook and brother of Mrs. R.L. Begley and Mrs. Wesley Trimmer of this place.  The deceased was born and reared near Hopper.  After taking a business course at Quincy, Ill., he went to California where he became a prominent attorney and real estate promoter.  He is said to have prospered financially and was the owner of a fine home in the city of Fresno.  He is survived by his wife and the relative mentioned above.  Particular circumstances of his death have not been received.

RETIRING FROM THE HOTEL BUSINES: (The following is a list of sale items from her hotel and gives an idea of what items were necessary to conduct such a business in 1925.) On Saturday afternoon, June 27th at 2 o'clock, I will offer at public sale on the premises three doors north of the post office in Stronghurst(at this time the post off was across Main Street on the west side of Broadway) my entire stock of hotel furnishings and equipment consisting of six iron beds with springs and mattresses, complete wash stand; dressers and mirrors; four good dining tables; two dozen dining chairs; four rockers; good Oak Heating stove; several small work tables; a good ice box; side boards; ironing board; sewing machine; clock; marble slab for pastry; writing desk and counter; several squares of linoleum; lots dishes and table ware; cooking utensils and numerous other articles-Mrs. Lillie Mahnesmith

KILLED IN A LANDSLIDE: A distressing accident resulting in the death of Eldon Wingfield, the nine-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Lewis Wingfield who live on a farm near Carman, occurred last Monday on what is known as the James Parr farm in the same vicinity.  The following account is taken from the Dallas City Review of June 16th. "It seems that Eldon and two brothers were playing at the bottom of a ravine, the sides of which had been loosened by the heavy rains of Sunday and Monday night, little dreaming they were in danger until the dirt began to slide and another brother was caught in it  to his knees.  Eldon is said to have aided him to get loose and he ran out just as a second slide occurred which caught Eldon and buried him out of sight.  The other lads gave the alarm as soon as they could get to a neighbor and the country was alarmed.  Soon 30 or 40 men were hard at work, but it took about almost two hours in to dig out the little fellow and when found, life was extinct.  It was a horrible death and an awful shock to the parents and relatives."

HENDERSON COUNTY STILL LEADS: In a closely contested game played at Lincoln Park in Galesburg last Saturday afternoon, the Henderson County Farm Bureau baseball team maintained its thousand per cent standing by defeating the Knox county boys 3 to1.  This gives the Henderson County team three games won and none lost.  Pence, pitching for Henderson, was in fine form as he struck out 16 men, yielding but two hits, one of which was decidedly scratch and gave three bases on balls…

NEW PASTOR IN TOWN: Lester R. Gerber, who has accepted a call from the Christian Church in Stronghurst arrived last Saturday.  He has secured rooms of the C. E. Fort home where he will have his place of residence for a while.  Mr. Gerber's former home was at Fisher, Illinois.  He graduated in June from Eureka College having completed the regular course there.  He comes highly recommended by the state secretary of the Christian Church, H. H. Peters of Bloomington.  His first sermon will be given next Sunday morning June 21st.

LOCAL AND AREA NEWS: The picnic given by the members of the Chief Shaubena Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution of Roseville on the lawn of the J. C. Brook home near here last Saturday was a very delightful affair.  In addition to the members of the chapter and their families, there were present a number of invited guests, making the total of those participating in the affair around 125.  Dr. and Mrs. H. L. Marshall are the parents of a young son born last Friday, June 12th.  Donald McKinley and wife and Lucile Parish drove to Chicago to spend a week or 10 days camping and taking in the sights of the city.  Mrs. Ella Coppage of Emerson, Iowa and her son, Elbridge Coppage and family of Stanton, Iowa and Miss Maude Reese of Iowa City, Iowa drove to Stronghurst to visit relatives.  Rev. C. E. Riddington, who has been pastor of the Raritan Baptist Church for the past two and a half years, has tendered his resignation and accepted a call to the First Baptist Church in Vinton, Iowa.  Miss Sarah McElhinney arrived home from Waterloo, Iowa where she has been teaching this last year. 

Dewain Rezner passed through a severe ordeal recently when he had his right eye removed, the operation being performed at the Burlington Hospital.  Mr. and Mrs. Ed Logan are rejoicing over the arrival on June 15th of a fine daughter who have named Marilyn Kathryn.  Ira Foote was here from Macomb and stated that he was about to leave with a string of five race horses for an Indiana circuit.  Joe Huff and family and Orville Boyd and wife attended a fish fry at Oquawka Beach last Saturday participated in by about 50 rural mail carriers of Henderson and Warren Counties.  It is said that more people in Abingdon own automobiles than own their own homes, but then, autos are being used as homes to quite a large extent nowadays by many people. Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Steffey and daughter, who have been living at Norwood, Minn., will locate at Knoxville, Iowa where he has been selected as Supt. Of Schools.  James Allen Kindale, who operated a feed mill at Hamilton, Ill., died at a Keokuk, Iowa hospital last Saturday night as the result of injuries sustained when he was caught by a revolving belt in the engine room of his mill.  Mr. and Mrs. C. R. Kaiser and Mrs. A. F. Kaiser entertained at a bridge 500 party at their home Wednesday evening. (The 500 Club was a socially elite group, or at least they thought so.)  Miss Martha Lucile Brokaw, who came from Colorado Springs, Colo. for a visit with her father C.S. Brokaw, left for Emporia, Kans. to enroll as a student in a general college and nurses' training school.

Paul Bell was taken to the Burlington Hospital by his parents where he underwent a throat operation for trouble caused by diseased tonsils.  He was brought home, but expects to make another visit to Burlington for an operation for nasal trouble.  Robert Cameron, formerly of this place, was committed to the Watertown Hospital for the insane last Tuesday after a hearing in the Warren County Circuit Court at Monmouth.  Cameron has been identified as the man who recently created much excitement in Monmouth in a "Jack the Hugger" role and his arrest and commitment to the institution was the result of charges made by two young girls of Monmouth whom he had annoyed.  He was arrested on a similar charge while living here and his mental condition urged as an extenuating circumstance at the time of his trial.  He is an ex-service man and his relatives have been trying for some time to get him sent to go to a government sanitarium for treatment.  (PTSD from WWI?)

BLANDINSVILLE INDEPENDENT QUITS:  The Blandinsville Independent has suspended publication announced in their issue of June 18th due to the illness of R. D. Warmer, one of the owners, and the ill health of W. E. Hodges, the editor, caused by the confinement and strain incidental to the work imposed upon him and his lack of determination to make that issue last.

BIGGSVILLE BRIEFS:  The United Presbyterian Church parsonage is being newly papered and floors varnished.  The work is being done by Gerald Carlyle of Monmouth and under the supervision of the Ladies Aid.  A reception will be given at the high school Friday evening in honor of Prof. T. W. Emerson, the new principal and his family who have recently become residents of this place.  Sam Holmes and George Kelly who have been quite poorly are a little better.  Carl Hector who has been critically ill with blood poison at the Burlington Hospital is improving nicely.  The motor bus is again making regular trips down town. 

MEDIA MEANDERINGS: This community as visited by a heavy downpour of rain accompanied by wind and lightning Sunday afternoon.  In a very few minutes the streets, lawn, gardens and fields were covered with water two or three inches in depth.  Ellison Creek which flows east and north of town was like a raging river and pastures, corn and grain along its banks were considerably damaged.  Telephone poles were blown down and struck by lightning and electric current was cut off and several bridges washed out. Otherwise, no damage was one.  The rain was badly needed and will do a lot more good than it did damage.  A man from Indiana who had been to Burlington and bought an aeroplane was forced to land here Sunday morning as he was on his way home on account of being low on gasoline.  After purchasing gas, he was soon on his way home.  Mr. and Mrs. Phonso Beall are the proud parents of a 9-pound son who has been named John. Geo. Wax was seriously ill a few days last week but is able to be around again.  Ward Gibson clerked in the store for him during his illness. Margery, Betty Jane and Evelyn Campbell are recovering nicely from an attack of chicken pox. 

OBITUARY-MRS. ANNA STIMPSON:  Mrs. Anna Stimpson the wife of Ray Stimpson, passed away at her home at 2 pm on Tuesday morning.  Her death followed several weeks illness.  Surviving besides her husband, is one daughter, Anna Laura, age 5, and one son Arthur, age 7 and her mother, Mrs. Mary Seins and three sisters and five brothers besides a host of other relatives and friends. Funeral services were held at the Carman church with burial in the Carman Cemetery.

VISIT FORMER PASTOR: Last Sunday a large group of folks from Altona, Illinois friends and former parishioners of Rev. and Mrs. R. C. Myers, transported by five automobiles spent the day in Stronghurst.  They attended the morning service at the Methodist Church and then on the parsonage lawn they spread the sumptuous basket dinners they had brought to which all did ample justice.  The afternoon was spent in visiting reminiscing of happy three years Rev. Myers had spent with them…

REUNION OF ILLINOIS PEOPLE: Dr. and Mrs. Harter and Mrs. Zula Allison in Hollywood, California, had an Illinois reunion at their home and entertained for dinner Mr. and Mrs. R. E. Ward and son Roscoe, former of Terre Haute; also from Terre Haute Mr. and Mrs. Frank Beal; Mrs. Gretta Stryker and Mrs. R. D. Nevius and daughter-in-law, Mrs. M. D. Nevius; Mrs. Kate Tharp Worman; Mrs. J. M. Johnson; Mrs. and Mrs. R. E. Milligan and four children and Mrs. Baird, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ward. (Going to California or Florida was becoming more and more popular at this time.)

ATTEND CONFERENCE AT THE UNIVERSITY: Eight of the members of the Henderson County Baby Beef Calf Club attended the Junior Club University Tour held in Urbana full of enthusiasm over the good time they had been shown during the three day tour.  The program included talks by some of the best men in the University on various farm problems, a day of livestock judging, demonstration work and tour of the University farm and buildings.  One of the big events was the banquet which over 600 were seated.  The speaker was Harold Caulrapp, dairy calf club   of Whiteside County and a member of the boys' judging team which last triumphed over the English champions in the contest held across the waters…The boys attending from here were Fred Painter, George Painter, Irvin Painter, Walter Drain, Ted Galbraith, Wendell Wetterling, Russell Darrah and Leslie Cooper.  They were accompanied by Farm Adviser Walker who attended the annual summer conference of farm advisers and Glenn Marshall, manager of the Stronghurst Farmers' Elevator, who attended the school for managers of farmers' elevators.

A LOUD BANG! A loud explosion as of a charge of dynamite aroused many people in town last Saturday morning between one and two o'clock and it was thought by some that bank bandits were pulling off one of their regulation stunts here.  An auto was heard leaving by the west road leading south from the village a few minutes after the explosion and those who had ventured out of their homes soon observed an illumination in the neighborhood of the Joe Dixson place a half mile south of town.  Investigation revealed that an auto tire which had been hung on the mail box at the Dixson home was burning fiercely.  It was also discovered a rope which had been stretched across the street in the south part of town to shut off traffic on Broadway because of the oiling of that thoroughfare had been torn down by the auto and the lantern which had been hung of the rope carried as far as the Dixson place.

No evidence of other damage here was discovered; but word came that stunts of a similar character were pulled off later in the morning at Raritan and Roseville.  While there are various theories entertained concerning the disturbances, the probabilities are that some boys and an auto and supplied with "Cannon fire crackers" were demonstrating their idea of "fun."

COMMUNITY CLUB PICNIC: The July meeting of the Stronghurst Women's Community Club will be a picnic affair, participated by the club members and their families on the lawn of the J.C.Brook home southeast of Stronghurst.  Dinner will be served cafeteria style around the noon hour and those who attend are asked to come furnished with plate, fork, spoon, coffee cup, drinking glass and sauce dish.  They also are asked to contribute something from the following list to the bill of fare: Sandwiches; baked chicken or ham; potato salad; baked beans; cottage cheese; potato chips; fruit salad; jelly or preserves; cake and bananas.  The committee in charge will furnish ice cream and iced tea.  Following the dinner, a program of music, readings, etc. will be carried out under the direction of Mrs. O. J. Sanderson and Mrs. J. W. Anderson.  Those without means of conveyance to the place of gathering should communicate with Mrs. R. N. Marshall or Mrs. Alex Marshall, who have been appointed a committee on transportation.  (Sound like a big-time social event! Remember they probably had to make the cottage cheese and potato chips from scratch.)

FIRE NEAR OLD BEDFORD: The dwelling house of Preston Hickman and family in McDonough County a short distance south of the Old Bedford church was totally destroyed by fire together with all the contents Wednesday morning.  The fire which was of unknown origin was discovered by members of the family between one and two o'clock in the morning and had gained such headway that the family consisting of Mr. Hickman, who is totally blind, his wife and five children barely escaped with their lives.  On account of the isolation of the place and poor telephone service, neighbors did not arrive on the scene of the fire in time to be of any assistance except in saving some small outbuildings.  Only a small amount of insurance was carried on the house and contents which will make the blow a severe to the family. 

OBITUARY-JACOB L. FORD: Jacob L. Ford, former resident of this vicinity, whose serious illness was, reported by this paper, passed away at the home of his daughter in Des Moines, Iowa on Tuesday night.  The deceased was 81 years of age and was a veteran of the Civil War.  He is survived by his wife and two daughters, Mrs. Mary Smith of Oak Park, Ill. and Mrs. Maude Stewart of Des Moines, Iowa.  Mr. Ford was twice married, his first wife who passed away about nine years so being Margaret Pogue of Media neighborhood.  Funeral services will be at the Lugg chapel in Monmouth with interment in the Monmouth Cemetery.