The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

The 1925 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross

Stronghurst Graphic, March 5, 1925

---OBITUARY---FRANKLIN PAGE RICHEY: Sandwich, Ill. Free Press-"Mr. F. P. Richey,; one of the best known and most loved men of our community died at his home in Sandwich Feb. 13, 1925 forenoon. A year ago, this winter he was in poor health and there was much anxiety on the part of his relatives and friends. With the coming of summer, there was a marked improvement in his condition. But the improvement was only temporary and since the beginning of winter, he had been gradually failing. After much suffering during the past month, he quietly passed away last Friday morning.

Franklin Page Richey, third son of Thomas G. and Lavina Richey was born at Olena, Henderson County, Illinois July 24, 1861 and was at the time of his death 63 years, six months and 11 days old. In early boyhood he met with an accident which, eventually deprived him of his eyesight. In spite of the handicap of blindness, Mr. Richey achieved a large measure of success, was interest in everything pertaining to the life of the community and lived a life of great usefulness. He was educated in the Illinois School for the Blind at Jacksonville and was a very intelligent, well informed man of rare judgment.

In early manhood Mr. Richey spent a few years in South Dakota in the vicinity of Roscoe when that part of the state was new. With the exception of those few years, his whole life was lived in Illinois. The earlier years were spent in Henderson County. About the year 1888 he came to DeKalb County where he lived the rest of his life. When he first came to this county, he lived in the United Presbyterian neighborhood northwest of Sandwich. He afterwards moved to Victor Township where he owned and operated the Sandwich creamery in connection with the one in Victor Township. In 1907 he removed to Sandwich where he resided until the time of his death.

August 20, 1903, Mr., Richey married Miss Emma Stillwell in Chicago, who has been his devoted wife and faithful helpmate for almost 23 years and who survives him. He leaves one brother, Clarence of Stronghurst, Illinois and one sister, Mrs. Dora McQuown of Sandwich.

In 1888 Mr. Richey united with the Somonauk United Presbyterian Church. In 1896 he was elected to the eldership, in which capacity he served the church until he moved to Sandwich. Shortly after coming to Sandwich on August 4, 1907, he transferred his membership to the First Presbyterian church. The following year he was elected an elder and continued a faithful and efficient member of the session until the time of his death. For several years, preceding his death, he served as chairman of the executive committee of the board of directors of the Federated Church. His counsel was sought and his judgment valued. (A description of his personal attributes follows.) The funeral service was held at the Federated Church with interment in the Oak Mound Cemetery," (A description of the funeral with out of town attendees is included in this article.)

LOCAL AND AREA NEWS: Clyde Mead moved from Carman to the County Farm near Oquawka where he takes the place of Sewell Shields as superintendent for the coming year. Material for the new Santa Fe bridge at Fort Madison is said to be accumulating at the proposed site and it is expected that construction work will begin with the advent of mild weather. Mr. and Mrs. L.L. Bigger of Gladstone neighborhood are the proud parents of a baby boy born March 2nd. at the lady's mother, Clara Leinbach's home. The little fellow will answer to the name of Bernard Gale. Walter Gould and family, former residents of Raritan, who for the past six years have lived in Callaway County, Mo., have decided to locate in Stronghurst. They have rented the Dowell property just north of the W.H.White place and will move in as soon as their household goods arrive from Missouri. Harold Butler and his friend, Glenn Marshall, were entertained for supper in the Ralph Butler home. Miss Edith Hartquist spent last week with her sister, Miss Ethel, who is a teacher in the public schools at Mt. Pleasant, Iowa. Miss Clydean Simpson has been at Washington, D.C. for the past three weeks visiting her sister, Mrs. Mabel VanTassel.

Dud Billips, who received an injury to his ankle last fall, has just recently been able to get about with crutches, being confined to the house all winter. W.E. Hurd has been having a tussle with the LA Grippe for the past ten days, but is somewhat improved; Mrs. Hurd is considerable better and able to be up and about the house again. Clarence Walker is improving and able to sit up part of the time and take some solid food. His sister, Lillie Walker, is gaining strength and able to sit up some every day under the care of Mrs. Ed Stine in the Stine home. Roy Mudd is going about on crutches as the result of a sprained ankle, the accident occurring last Thursday evening when he made a mis-step off the sidewalk while returning to his home in the east part of town from the Junior Class benefit entertainment. Rev. R.C. Myers is now well on the road to recovery from the attack of LA Grippe which has kept him confined to his home for the past two weeks or more; he expects to fill his regular preaching appointment at the M.E. Church next Sunday.

The country roads were reported almost impassable in places the past week and the rural mail carriers find their duties a very disagreeable one. Joe Huff, one of the carriers carried the mail sack on foot last Thursday. The mild weather which prevailed during the latter part of February caused the breaking up and floating off of much of the ice in the Iowa-Illinois section of the Mississippi River, but the recent cold snap again froze the river over and blocked the stream.