The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

The 1925 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross

Stronghurst Graphic: Feb. 26, 1925

HOW TO CELEBRATE WASHINGTON'S BIRTHDAY: The anniversary date of the birth of the "Father of our Country" fell on Sunday; the public observance of the event was deferred until Monday. This observance was confined principally to the closing of the banks in the village, the closing of the post office during the greater part of the day and the suspension of rural delivery. Quite an impressive display of the street flags recently purchased by various business men of the town for use on such occasions was noted, but this was not as general as it might have been had the weather not been rainy and disagreeable.

While not especially arranged as an event to commemorate Washington's birthday, the union Boy Scout service held at the M.E. Church on Sunday evening fitted in very nicely and those who attended received some valuable ideas concerning the real meaning of the word "patriotism." Rev. Myers, who was scheduled to make the address of the evening in connection with lantern slides showing the work of scoutcraft, was prevented by sickness of being present. A very competent substitute in the person of County Farm Adviser Walker gave an interesting and impassive service.

(Circuit Court would convene on March 2nd so this issue contains a list of Grand Jurors, Petit Jurors, the dockets for Criminal Cases, Common Law Cases, Appearance Cases (Common Law and Chancery Cases. Oquawka and the courthouse would be busy for some time.)

WHOLE NATION TO HEAR INAUGURAL CEREMONIES: Through a "hookup" arrangement between radio stations scattered between the Atlantic and Pacific coasts, millions of people in the United States will be enabled to "listen in" next Wednesday to the inaugural ceremonies at Washington, D.C. This is the first time that the broadcasting of an important event has been attempted on so gigantic a scale as to comprehend the whole nation, and is another illustration of the possibilities which lie in radio. The stations participating in this general broadcasting located within easy receiving distance from Stronghurst, will be WWJ-Detroit; WQAM-Chicago; WDAF-Kansas City; and WHO-Des Moines:

MUD, MUD, EVERYWHERE: The condition of the dirt roads during the past week or two has brought "old Dobbin" back into his own once more and we imagine that he has difficulty in refraining from a contemptuous snort as he plods his sure and steady way past the modern "gas buggy" stuck in a mud hole.

LOCAL AND AREA NEWS: At a recent meeting of the business men of Blandinsville, it was decided to abandon the idea of holding the annual Farmers' Picnic this year. A deficit of $140 from last year's picnic was responsible for the decision. The Journalism class of Mendon High School in Adams County won the first prize for the best school section of a weekly newspaper at the annual convention of the Illinois High School Press Association held at Galesburg. Clyde Walker was called here from Chicago by the serious illness of his Uncle, Clarence Walker and mother and grandmother Walker. All three are now sick and confined to their beds. (Sickness still was present throughout the county-Spanish flu, pneumonia, scarlet fever, etc.) Mrs. W. E. Hurd has given up care of the Apt family and she and her husband have moved back home as he is sick. Mrs. Joe Woodward is doing the housework in the Apt. home.

LOCAL AND AREA NEWS: John Johnson move to the property vacated by Loren Morey; it had been purchased by Will Ogden. Mrs. Arthur McKeown, Sr. shipped out a car load of hogs of her own feeding to the Chicago Market. (This is highly unusual to have a woman's name attached to a car load of stock going to Chicago.) M. L. Evans has returned from a southern trip of several weeks, which was extended to Havana, Cuba and other West Indian points. Ernest Negley will move from the Tom Dodds farm where he has been farming for the past year to the Earl Brokaw farm. Earl and his family will move to his father's farm south of town. Roy Mudd moved to the property recently vacated by Fred Mudd on Mary Street and Loren Morey moved to the home vacated by Roy recently purchased by Mr. Morey. A telegram received by Ed Stine announced the sudden death of his father-in-law, Tom Kline, at his home in Guthrie, Okla. Ralph Staley has employment with the high-tension line company which is contracting a line through this territory and moved with a gang of workers from here to Monmouth where they will be for some time.

NEW TRAIN SYSTEM: "The new train control system on the Santa Fe between Chillicothe and Fort Madison was put into operation Feb. 1st. Every engine running over this stretch of track has been equipped to receive electric current from the track. If the track is obstructed ahead, a warning is flashed to the engineer, who reduces speed. If he overlooks the signal, the brakes are automatically set and the train finally brought to a stop. This is the most advanced system now in use and is an improvement over others in that speed is first reduced before the stop, others being only a dead stop device. Engine and train men are rapidly becoming acquainted with the workings of the system and their work hours relieved of the dread of collisions or other accidents which this device will prevent. The system is being extended toward Chicago, wires and poles having been erected between Chillicothe and Streator"-Chillicothe Enquirer

BIGGSVILLE BRIEFS: Roy Millen has been out of school and confined to his bed with mumps. Some four or five dogs that were running the town got into the hog pen of Eddie Sloan and worried a valuable hog so badly that it will die. E. L. Claybaugh left for a visit with his brother at Valley, Nebr. He will also visit his daughter, Mrs. E.A. Truitt and family at Havelock, Nebr. Frank Page of Riceton, Canada, who has spent the past week here with relatives and friends, left for Kansas City to visit his sister, Mrs. Hazel St.John and family. No more picture shows as the proprietor, Edwin Churchill, will close and move to London Mills. Albert Spiker, who has made his home the past year at the Spurgeon Musgrove home in Rozetta, will help with the farm work on the John Smith place this year.

OLENA OBSERVATIONS: Some of the sick are improving but new cases are reported; among this number are Mr. and Mrs. Frank Veech, Mr. and Mrs. Vern Likely and Mrs. John McCartney. A young daughter arrived at the Arthur Hedges home south and west of Olena. This household is being looked after by Miss Dowell of Carman. A young son is reported in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Waterman of Hopper. Miss Golda Davis, one of Stonghurst's "hello girls,' spent Saturday afternoon with her parents. (What is a "hello girl?") Mr. Roy Hicks of Fort Madison, Ia, spent the weekend with his parents and enjoyed a new radio which had recently been installed in the home. Mr. Acil Dowell has moved into the home of his parents west of Olena until he finds another home and suitable employment. (Even in 1925 kids were moving back home with their parents.) Harvey Lant spent Monday night with his family in Stronghurst, returning to Chicago on Tuesday A.M. He said the past week he had been assigned on special duty to deliver registered mail to the banks and large business houses of the city, being furnished a special taxi with colored chauffer, but this responsibility was rather nerve racking to a new beginner. As Mr. and Mrs. Harold Simonson have moved to the Raritan area, Mr. Lyman Ross has taken over the Bailey farm and he has employed Mr. Paley Peyton for the summer; the Paley family moved into the farm house. Mr. and Mrs. John Long who have been living in Olena the past few weeks have found employment at the Edgar Rankin home and will move there soon. Mr. and Mrs. Hartman have rented the Herman Burrell farm. Mr. Glen McKeown will move to the farm vacated by the Hartmans and owned by Mr. Dahl. Mr. Otis White and family who resided on the J. N. Lyons farm are moving to a farm near Media and Mr. Oliver Wolford and family Decorra will move to the vacated farm. (Times were tough for the farm economy and the search for a job sometimes meant moving the entire family.)

MEDIA MEANDERINGS: Two new members, Misses Agnes Erickson and Bernice Charter, were initiated into the Tri State Mutual Lodge Tuesday evening and the name of Miss Faye Powell was favorably voted upon for membership. (Lodges were social outlets and a point of standing in the neighborhood.) Mr. and Mrs. Ed Barry have disposed of their property to the Farmers' Cooperative Store Co. and will move to West Burlington where Mr. Barry and his sons have employment in the factories. Mrs. Frank is recovering from a severe case of the flu. Mr. C. G. Richey and daughter, Mrs. Chas. Pogue, were called to Sandwich, Ill. by the death of Mr. Richey's brother Frank. Frank was born on his father's farm west of town now owned by C. G. Richey and grew to manhood in this vicinity. He had been ill for some time and is survived by his wife, one sister, Mrs. Dora McQuown of Sandwich, Ill,. and a brother C. G. of this place. The funeral and interment took place at Sandwich, Ill.

***OBITUARY***WILLIAM H. PULTS: William H., who lived on the old Negley farm southwest of Stronghurst, passed away at his home on Feb. 23rd after an illness of nearly a month from influenza and other complications. He was a native of Indiana having been born near Indianapolis, Oct. 13, 1879. He was married March3, 1913 to Daisy Anderson, who survives him. Other relatives are three step-children: Faye Forrester, Raymond and Willis Anderson; his step-mother, Mrs. Noah Pults; three sisters: Mrs. Ida McFadden of Knox City, Mo., Emma Robertson of Quincy, Ill. and Janie Jenkins of Loraine, Ill; one brother, John Pults of LaBelle, Mo. Besides numerous nieces, nephews and other relatives.

He lived a sincere and devoted Christian life and was a member of the Stronghurst Christian Church, having transferred his membership there from the Baptist Church of Colony, Mo. Several year s ago. He was also a member of the M.W.A. holding his membership in the Colony, Mo. Camp. The remains were shipped from Stronghurst to Gorin, Mo. for burial in the cemetery near his former home.

FINDS A RELIC: A two dollar silver certificate which had been retired from circulation for a period of over 32 yeas was brought to light one day when Mrs. Mary Dixson discovered it tucked away in the pocket of a vest worn by her late husband, Joseph Dixson, during his life time. Mr. Dixson was killed in a crossing accident here on Jan. 1, 1893 and the vest containing the bill had hung in a closet in the home since that time without any examination of the pockets being made. The certificate is of a series of which existing specimens are now rare and will probably be kept as an heirloom by the Dixson family.