The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

The 1924 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross

Stronghurst Graphic: Dec. 18, 1924

LIMESTONE SPREAD: According to the figures compiled by the Henderson County Farm Bureau about 2,440 tons of limestone was used for soil improvement purchases in the county ending in the year on Nov. 30, 1924. Figuring 50 tons as an average car load, this would make a train of 49 cars. Farmers in the county who purchased and used over 100 tons of limestone are as follows: E. G. Lewis-240 tons; O. E. Reason-215 tons; Lyman Ross-120 tons; A.C. Yaley-120 tons and I. F. Harter-110 tons.

BIG INCREASE: Thirty-five new members were added to the Stronghurst Camp of Modern Woodman of America last Monday evening at the initiation held in the I.O.O. F. hall. Twenty-one of the new recruits joined as beneficiary members and six as social members:

CHRISTMAS CELEBRATIONS IN THE COMMUNITY: The joyous Christmas season will be marked by appropriate observations in all of the four churches in Stronghurst and as is fitting and proper, the exercises which are held will all be suggestive of the importance attaching to childhood and to children's joys and pleasures. Exercises will be held at the M.E., U.P. and Christian churches on Christmas Eve, at all of which will be Christmas trees and the distribution of gifts and treats. A pageant and cantata entitled, "The True Christmas," will be given at the M. E. church under the direction of Ethel Brown while at the U.P. and Christian Churches programs consisting of exercises, songs and recitations by the children will be given. The children's exercises at the Lutheran Church will be according to custom-will be held on the evening of the day following Christmas, Dec. 26. The usual early morning services will also be held at the Lutheran Church on Christmas day at 5:30 am.

HIGH SCHOOL DISTRICT WINS: Attorney W. C. Ivins received word that the Illinois Supreme Court had handed down the decision sustaining the judgment rendered by Judge Hillier in the Circuit Court at Oquawka last June establishing the validity of the organization of community High School District No. 104 and of the election of the Board of Education. This decision on the Supreme Court ends the nearly two years of litigation which has been held up the carrying out of the will of the people of Stronghurst community as expressed at the polls regarding the erection of a school building and the maintaining of a community high school.

KILLED ON THE WAY HOME: Hazel M. VanNuys of Monmouth, who was a teacher in the Viola, Ill. High School, and Alice Griffin of Viola, a freshman class student in the same school, are dead as the result of an auto accident which occurred between Viola and Aledo last Tuesday night when a party of five young ladies and one young man were returning from a basketball game at Aledo. The night was cold and sleety and the driver of the car, Henry Brasneer, was unable to see the road ahead of him and guided the car to the edge of an embankment over which it hung for a time sufficient to allow three of the young ladies to escape. The car then rolled down the embankment carrying with it the other two young ladies and the driver who were all in the front seat. Miss Griffin received injuries from which she died soon after the accident and Miss VanNuys' injuries terminated in her death at 6:35 o'clock Wednesday morning at the home of Dr. McClanahan in Aledo where she had been taken. Henry Brasneer, the driver of the car, received some severe injuries, but none of a serious nature.

OBITUARY: GEORGE M. KEMP-From the Fairfield, Iowa paper: "The community was greatly shocked to learn of the death of Mr. George M. Kemp which occurred about nine o'clock Monday morning, Nov. 10th at the family residence, 406 West Briggs Street, Fairfield, Iowa. Though for almost five weeks he had been under the care of a physician, his condition was not considered critical and the day previous to his death he had seemed to improve and had chatted happily with a number of friends who called to see him. Though he had passed a rather restless night, Monday morning he appeared as well as for some time and the swiftness with which the final attack of heart trouble came left the family and friends stunned.

George Washington Kemp was born near Gladstone, Henderson County, Illinois, Sept. 12, 1855 being at the time of his death 69 years, 1 month and 29 days of age. His early life was spent on the farm and in attending school during the short term in the winter, but the teaching he received at home and school trained for character as expressed in Godliness, honesty and moral courage.

On Jan. 27,1885 he united in marriage with Miss Flora Fort, who with their two daughters, Grace Ethyl and Bessie Mae survive him. He is also survived by one brother, Henry Kemp, Winona, Kansas and four sisters, Mrs. Jane Blitch of Chicago, Ill.; Mrs. Mary Hall of Richmond, Kansas; and Mrs. Nancy Ellis and Mrs. Amanda Tate of Gladstone, Illinois.

Having chosen farming as his occupation, the family spent some years on the farm, moving to Stronghurst, Ill. when the girls were ready for high school. Later he purchased a farm at Bentonsport, Iowa and the family made their home there for four and half years then moving to Fairfield in 1913. Since coming to this city, Mr. Kemp has been employed as carpenter and woodworker and his services were in demand for the honest toil, he gave for the honest wage he earned. He has been able to work until the past several weeks, but he was never happy when idle and was anxious to regain his health that he might again be busy, the "Reaper in gathering his sheaves" needed another helper and removed him from our midst.

Almost 39 ears ago Mr. Kemp united with the M.E. Church in Olena, Illinois, and a few years later he and his wife transferred their membership to the United Presbyterian Church with which they were affiliated until 1913. However, his faith was not founded on denominational lines and at Bentonsport the family attended both M.E. and Presbyterian churches enjoying the friendship of Christian people. Since coming to Fairfield he has been a member of the First Presbyterian Church. He has always been a regular attendant at church services and the Sabbath school until the last few years when his hearing began to fail.

The funeral was held from the family residence:The pall bearers were Irvin Kemp of Quincy, Ill. James Hall, Jr. of Memphis, Mo.; John McKee of Birmingham, Roy Chane of Bonaparte and Luther Quillen and Ed Vinton of Fairfield. Burial was made in Evergreen Cemetery.

LOCAL AND AREA NEWS: The village of Kirkwood has purchased a one-ton Ford chassis with fire engine, chemicals, hose box and pumper to boost water pressure mounted on it at a cost of $3,000. Mrs Ralph Staley was taken to the Monmouth Hospital for surgery; her aunt, Mrs. Marie Dice, remained with her. Word from the hospital is that she is getting along as well as could be expected. Sparks from burning out flue set fire to the roof of the W. C. Ivins home in the village Saturday evening at about 7 o'clock. Mr. Ivins was watching the falling sparks and when the roof ignited, he called for help and got busy with his garden hose, connecting it up with the water works system with which the house is equipped. The stream of water from this hose subdued the flames before the arrival of the volunteer fireman with a hose cart and chemical apparatus. The alarm sent out from the central fire station quickly brought a large crowd to the scene of the house.

Mr. John Staley has been somewhat indisposed with an attack of rheumatism. Mrs. J. C. Brook and Mrs. A H. Kershaw attended the meeting of the Chief Shaubena Chapter of the D.A.R. at the home of Mrs. H. O. Pierce in Roseville. Mrs. W. H. Cross's mother, Mrs. Butcher of Keokuk whose husband recently passed away, came to make her home with the Cross family. Mrs. Callie Clark returned home from Mayo Brothers Hospital at Rochester, Minn. where she went accompanied by Mrs. Dr. Harter to consult with the specialist in regard to her physical condition having been in poor health for some time. Bud Billips met with a painful accident while riding on a load of logs near the home of his son-in-law, Forrest Wyatt near Lomax. In some way the load upset and in jumping, the small bone in his ankle was broken. Mrs. Vesper Lovitt of St.Louis has been visiting her brother, Leslie Lovitt and family and other relatives and friends in the Old Bedford neighborhood. She continued on to Abingdon to visit another sister. Grandpa Chase suffered a light stroke last week at the home of his son, R. B. Chase in Galesburg. Mrs. Chase was away from home at the time visiting in Kansas City. On being notified of grandpa's condition, she hastened back home. The elderly gentleman is in a rather serious condition and with his advanced age of 89 years could hardly be expected to recover his former state of health. A meeting was held at the Community Club rooms to discuss the relocation of proposed Route 97 of the new system of State hard roads.

"Charles Mason in town visiting his friend Charles Perry called on his old-time friend S.E.Biggs. He was showing an unusual curiosity in the form of an ear of corn upon which every grain is entirely covered by an individual shuck. When the shucks removed, the grain look like any ordinary yellow corn. Mr. Mason obtained his sample in Northern Iowa where it was grown but says the original seed was found in a cave in Alaska where it had probably been hidden for years."-LaHarpe Quill.

OBITUARY-MADISON HULET: Madison Jackson Hulet, son of Joseph and Elizabeth Hulet, was born March 5, 1854 near Gladstone, Ill. and passed away at his home one mile west of Hopper on Dec.11, 1924, aged 69 ears, 8 months and 26 days. He was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth King of Hopper, Ill. On June 11, 1879. To this union ten children were born, three of whom preceded the father in death, namely Romanna, Clotilda, Sept. 30, 1882; Joseph Bernard, April 30, 1905; William Dealvrado, June 25, 1924. The children left to mourn are Mary Jane Wessell of Weaver, Iowa; Rose Evelyn Pendry of Carman, Ill.; Ruth Glenn Mapes of Chadwick, Mo.; Constance Hope Cogswell of Ft. Madison, Ia.; Ora Seines of Carman, Ill; Garrett Guy Hulet of Stronghurst, Ill.; Paul Hall Hulet of Media, Ill.; also 21 grandchildren and many friends and neighbors. Funeral services were held in the Olena church.

The facts of Mr. Hulet's death are that the deceased was found dead in his farm home, Dec. 10 or 11 by Mr. Thomas Dixon and a gentleman who was taking the census in his locality. This gentleman had been in the home twice and failing to arouse Mr. Hulet, he reported the fact to Mr. Dixon and the two went to the home and found the death angel had preceded them. As it was brought out, he had died about 24 hours previously of apoplexy. His relatives were summoned and his body taken to one of the undertaking establishments in Burlington and prepared for burial in the Olena cemetery. The casket bearers were Messrs. Thomas Dixon, John Peterson, Jesse Hicks, Ed Carlson, Clas Carlson and John Lant.

OLENA OBSERVATIONS: The first snow of the season arrived. Mr. Floyd Burrell and family have moved into the Deitrick property which we hear he has purchased. Miss Thelma Peterson, teacher in the Heisler School (home of Mr.and Mrs. Quentin Peterson today), and her pupils are preparing a nice evening entertainment there on Dec. 18th. Miss Esther Johnson and her pupils of the Hopper School gave a program and box supper in the village school room on Dec. 15th. Mr.and Mrs. Wm. Hicks attended a birthday dinner given in honor of her mother, Mrs. Green Fryrear of Oquawka at the home of her son and wife, Mr. and Mrs. Dan Fryrear near Oquawka.

MEDIA MEANDERINGS: The pupils of the high school under the direction of Miss Mary Dixson will present a Xmas pageant, "The Nativity," at the Academy Tuesday evening. (1924 is the first time I have noticed the use of "Xmas" to signify Christmas-maybe this was a new fad finally moving West from New York City.) Joe Campbell, who has been working all summer at Steubenville, Ohio, came home to spend the holidays with his wife and children. (Long list of those who went to Burlington to Christmas shop in this issue.) Chas. Pogue and C. R. Pendarvis attended a meeting at London Mills in the interest of the hard road that is to be built from Peoria through Media to join the state road north that has just been completed from Galesburg to Burlington. Arline Heap has been a patient at the Burlington Hospital taking treatments for her ear which has been troubling her for some time. Clifford Adair, a student at Macomb Teachers' College, is home for the holiday season. Harry Norville is able to walk downtown by the aid of crutches. His doctors say it will be 6 weeks before he no longer need them.

The community social given by the Men's Bible Class at the U.P. Church was attended by a large crowd. A most excellent program was given after which the entire audience were taken to the basement, 10 at a time, and initiated into the grand order of "Syclops." This afforded much amusement after all had become member of this grand order; games were played and stunts performed among them being a pie eating contest won by Gram Pogue with E. G. Lewis as a close second. At a late hour, refreshments of popcorn, popcorn balls and apples were served. The plan is to have one such social a month. Enough money has been raised by the people of the community the past few days to purchase new suits and sweaters for the high school basketball team. Media Community Club donated the dollars. The suits were ordered and the boys are hoping they get here in time to help them beat Biggsville there on Friday night. A company of 50 expect to accompany the team to root for them at the game if the weather man will permit. A representation from the University at Urbana visited the high school Wednesday morning.

In what local fans term the most furiously contested game ever played here, Media High School basketball team was defeated ("?"-this was their comment) by a score of 18-17 by Terre Haute High School Friday night when the latter made a basket just as the final whistle blew. In fact, there was some question as to whether or not the basket should count, but the referee, after a consultation with the timers ruled that the ball was in the air when the whistle blew, thus making the basket legal. At the end of the first quarter, the score was 6-12 in favor of Media. At the end of the first half it was 14-14 and the end of the third quarter 16-16. In the final period Media made a free throw which gave the local team one-point advantage. This was the only point which had been made in the fourth quarter and the crowd went wild, only to be plunged into gloom when the visitors won the game in the last second. Though the game was desperately fought, both teams played a clean style of basketball. The entire Media team played much better than at any previous time during the season. Members of the team are LaVerne Gilliland, Gerald Gilliland, Roy Baskett, William Pogue, Joe Moon and Clifford Ross.

BIGGSVILLE BRIEFS: Mr. and Mrs. T. R. Buchanan left for their home at Lynton, Kansas after spending a couple of weeks here with his sister, Mrs. H. O. Garrity Mrs. Arin Hult of Casper, Wyo. is spending the Christmas season with her sister, Mrs. Henry Foster. George Jamison, who has ben suffering for some time with an infected hand, still remains quite poorly. Miss Opal Woods has been quite ill at the home of her brother, Homer Woods in the west part of town. A very successful five weeks of evangelistic meetings closed Sabbath night at the U.P. Church. The meeting was conducted by evangelist Grady T. Cantrel and his singer, Loren E. Pecaut. Members of the Wm. Stevenson family were called to Burlington last Sabbath by the death of Victor Cady, who passed away that morning at the hospital following a week's illness from blood poisoning. Miss Ruby Graham left for Omaha, Nebraska to visit her sister, Mrs. Clyde Pearson.

Miss Mildred Stotts had her right arm badly cut last Saturday evening while she, with her parents, were returning home from Monmouth. A car driven by John Reynolds of Monmouth crashed into their car between Kirkwood and Monmouth. Miss Mildred was thrown through the windshield and her arm severely cut. She was taken back to Monmouth where she received medical attention. Both cars were badly damaged. Friends have received word from Monmouth of the critical illness of Mrs. Elizabeth Clark Woods of the Reed neighborhood who is a patient in the Monmouth Hospital suffering from typhoid fever. The latest message said a change for the worse had come and that the end was expected at any time.