The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

The 1925 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross

Stronghurst Graphic: Jan. 29, 1925

GOLDEN WEDDING CELEBRATED:  On Jan. 28th, 1875 Mr. Samuel Leinbach and Miss Elizabeth Atwater were united in marriage by Rev. Wm. Archer at the home of the bride, 3 miles southwest of Raritan, Ill.  Wednesday afternoon the 50th anniversary of the happy event was celebrated by about 150 of Mr. and Mrs. Leinbach's relatives, neighbors and friends at a gathering held in the Stronghurst Christian Church.  A prominent feature of the occasion was a sumptuous feast served cafeteria style at the noon hour. Following, a program of congratulatory speeches and poems with Rev.Cross acting as master of ceremonies, was listened to by the group of assembled guests. Mrs. Minnie Peterson from Galesburg was in attendance.

The entire married life of this estimable couple has been spent in this vicinity with the exception of five years in Kansas.  For the last few years, they have been residents of Stronghurst and they enjoy the respect and esteem of all our people.  Their union has been blessed with eight children, seven of whom are living and all happily married with children of their own surrounding them.  These children are James, Edward and Guy Leinbach; Mrs. Meryl Veech, Mrs. Vesta Nordstrom, Mrs. Lillie Callow and Mrs. Ruth Huff.  All the children except Edward and Mrs. Callow were present, they being detained at home by sickness in their families.

One of the substantial tokens of the esteem in which Mr. and Mrs. Leinbach are held by their friends was a well filled purse of money which was presented to them by Rev. Cross in connection with his congratulatory speech. (Two original poems follow this article.)

HE TALKED TO THE PRESIDENT: C. R. Pendarvis of Media arrived home from Washington, D.C. where he went to deliver the electoral vote of the state of Illinois for president and vice-president of the United States. During his visit to the national capital Mr. Pendarvis was granted the privilege of a ten-minute personal interview with President Coolidge during which he outlined to the chief executive his views on the needs of the farming element of our population.

Mr. Pendarvis told the President that in his opinion what the farmer needed was not more credit, but a system for the distribution and marketing of his products which would take care of the surplus above our own needs in times of over production and insure to him instead of the speculator the profit derived from the marketing of this surplus during period of good prices. The President, Mr. Pendarvis says, told him that he had voiced his own views in the matter and intimated that what influence he might be able to exert in the matter would be along the lines indicated.

Mr. Pendarvis says that he found the President to be one of the most affable and approachable men whom he had ever met with nothing in the way of coldness or reserve to justify the title of "silent Cal." He chatted familiarly with Mr. Pendarvis about his own life on the Vermont farm and seemed genuinely interested in conditions which exist in small communities in the Middle West like that from which Mr. Pendarvis came. Before the interview closed, he presented Mr. Pendarvis with one of his autographed photos, which it is needless to say will always be highly prized b the recipient.

ONE OF THE BOYS AT 84: To have come through the vicissitudes of this life to the age of 84 years and still retain the use of the ordinary faculties which mankind is endowed is a rare occurrence; and to reach the above age and still be alert and active enough to be numbered amongst "the boys" is a privilege so rare as to make the term "extraordinary" applicable. Stronghurst has in the person of Wm. Patterson, a man who can lay claim to the latter distinction. Last Monday "Uncle Will," as he is familiarly called, reached the 84 milestone of his life's journey and the occasion found our genial citizen and Civil War veteran apparently as hale and heart as many men of not men than half his age.

Mr. Patterson is a member of the Stronghurst Club and is wont to mingle regularly with the members of that club when they foregather in their club room for diversion and relaxation from the cares incident to daily toil. A number of his fellow club members decided that "Uncle Will's arrival at his 84th mile post should be made the occasion of a special celebration so on the evening of that day they surprised him by dropping in on him at the residence of his niece, Mrs. Mae Morgan, where he makes his home, to spend a few hours in social fellowship.

During the course of the evening a birthday cake adorned with 84 lighted candles was brought in and after it had been sufficiently admired, divided amongst the guests present. A poem was written by Mr. Harvey Lant for the occasion and expressive of the regard in which the guest of honor is held by his associate was read. (Look on the microfilm at the Henderson County Library if you are interested in this poem.) (I think the Club Room was over Dr. Harter's office-the Quill Building today.)

IT BURNED TO THE GROUND: Biggsville's new gymnasium, which was erected at a cost of $4,500 ($65, 385 in today's values) provided for by popular subscription burned to the ground last Tuesday at about the noon hour. The building was being used for grade school purposes pending the completion of the new school building being erected in the village. The greater part of the school equipment was destroyed with the building.

MORE TO THE STORY: Biggsville had another fire at noon on Tuesday when one of the furnaces exploded setting the gym all ablaze, the children being home at the noon hour, which was a most fortunate thing. Several of the desks were taken out by children who were in the building eating dinner. Most of the children lost all their books. The gym building was insured for $4,000.

BIGGSVILLE BRIEFS: The Golden Gate Concert Co. that was due here Saturday evening were unable to be present on account of illness, but a good program was put on by the Rocky Mountain Male Quartette for a well filled house. Mrs. Mary Duncan who has been ill with pneumonia is reported better. Mrs. George Millen is suffering with the flu. Miss Ethel Cook, who is in the employ of Chittenden & Eastman at Burlington, spent the weekend with her parents at Coloma. Mr. and Mrs. Wendell Whiteman entertained a company of 22 young people for here at their home in Monmouth last Friday evening. Games and music were enjoyed with refreshment served by the hostess.

An accident occurred on the hard road near the Menchoff home when some of the people from Kirkwood started home Monday evening after the basketball game when the four passenger Studebaker sedan driven by Clifford McDougal ran off a culvert, upsetting the car and mashing it all up. None of the people were injured. Leo Menchoff took the parties to their home in Kirkwood.

MEDIA MEANDERINGS: Harold, the youngest son of Mr. and Mrs. M. D. Drain, is dangerously ill of acute Bright's disease. Drs. Kimmery of Smithshire and Hoyt of Raritan have been in attendance and all that can be done is being done in a fight for the boy's life. Mr. Elmer Powell who was operated upon last Thursday at the Monmouth Hospital for gall stones is recovering as well as could be expected. Mr. Powell and daughter, Miss Faye, and Master Harold have been over several times to see her. Mr. and Mrs. Frank Hendrickson are moving into the property belonging to Mrs. Alice Schroeder. Mr. Hendrickson will work for Melvin Schroeder who lives on the farm north of town belonging to the Wever Academy. Victims of the flu include Mrs. Barnard White and baby Joyce, Charles Stanbary and Mrs. Grace Kimball. Mrs. Thomas Howell returned from Oquawka where she has been the past three weeks helping County Clerk Joe Barnes put the tax books in shape for the payment of this year's tax. The books for Media Township will be at Media State Bank as usual. Mr. Howell and Edwin Erickson went over and accompanied her home. They and Miss Waneta Howell attended the Movie "Sea Hawk" given in Oquawka that evening

CARMAN CONCERNS: Mr. Kenneth Mead is still suffering with tonsillitis and unable to return to school. Harry Coffman is a Dallas City goer is having some dental work done. Mrs. Twilley is much better; she fell down hurting her limb last week. The farmers' union have been very busy delivering corn here this week. The Bundy children and Annie Laura Stimpson are the latest victims of chicken pox. Mr. I.V. Jones and two sons of Lomax helped saw wood at the Jones home. Mr. and Mrs. Tracy Wright will move some of their household goods and implements from Durham, Ill. to one of J.Y. Whiteman's farms north of the village which he will farm this year. Mrs. A. E. Cowdry will move in the summer to assist Tracy in farming (Yes, it does say "Mrs.")

RARITAN REPORTS: Kenneth Wadell, son of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Wadell, has been quite sick with an attack of appendicitis. John Torrance was on the market with a shipment of cattle. The birthday social which was held at the church Thursday evening was enjoyed by all. The amount of $19 was realized from the lunch served and the birthday collection. The small son of Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Cook has been seriously ill with pneumonia.

LOMAX LINKERINGS: Ernie Baker and family departed for Oklahoma to make their future home. John Echardt and family moved to the C. B. Vaughn farm where they will work the coming year. Fred Meisner and wife left in their car for Oklahoma; they may decide to locate there. Born to Moore Cook and wife on Jan. 21st a daughter. A son was born to Ray Smith and wife Jan. 24. Rev. J. B. King underwent an operation on his eyes at Burlington last week. While no definite results show, it is believed by the surgeon it is a success and will restore his sight.

MOURN THE LOSS OF A SON: Ray Boughton, son of George and Pearl Boughton, was born at Roseville, Ill., Oct. 31, 1916 and died at his home near Stronghurst Jan. 25, 1925, aged 8 years, 2 months and 25 days. He leaves to mourn his father and mother, four brothers-Howard, Clyde, Robert and Orville and one sister Grace. He was preceded in death by one brother, Glenn. Funeral services were conducted at the Olena church with interment in the Olena Cemetery.