The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

The 1924 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross

Stronghurst Graphic: Oct. 9, 1924

OBITUARY: CHARLES D. WATSON: Mr. Watson who was for many years connected with the First Nat'l Bank of Kirkwood and who for the past ten years has acted as manager of the real estate holdings of the Dr. Tubbs family and the lands owned by himself, passed away at his home in Kirkwood Monday morning.

Mr. Watson was born on a farm in the Rozetta neighborhood in Henderson County in 1867. At the age of 22 he entered the First National Bank of Kirkwood and his services there extended over a period of 25 years during which time he acquired the confidence and trust of a wide circle of acquaintances. In 1889 Mr. Watson united in marriage to Martha Gamble, who survives him. There were no children born to their marriage. In addition to his wife, the deceased is survived by two sisters: Miss May B. Watson and Mrs. H. B. Safford and two brothers: Frank H. and Geo. W. Watson, all of whom reside in Monmouth. The funeral will be held at the family residence in Kirkwood and interment in Center Grove Cemetery.

THEY SUED: As the result of a suit tried in the county court of Henderson County, the Illinois Power and Light Co. will pay the Mohr Bros. of Lomax the sum of $536 ($7,696+ in today's values) for the privilege of locating four towers on a tract of land owned by the latter. The payment of this sum also gives the utility company the right of using a 3 rod strip of through through the tract for making any necessary repairs on their line in the future.

The sum asked for by the Mohr's was $2,000 or $500 for each tower. The amount which they will realize after their attorney fees are paid will probably be less than one-fourth of the amount sought.

A SOCIAL AFFAIR: The social given by the ladies of the Community Club at their rooms Wednesday evening was a very enjoyable affair. The musical and literary part of the program consisted of a piano solo by Dorothy Davis, a Japanese drill by the little girls of Miss Kirby's room in the public school, a reading by Miss Edith Salter and a vocal solo by Mrs. Dawson. The remainder of the evening was spent with games of various kinds, chief of which were "rook" and "flinch." Nice refreshments were served previous to the departure of the guests.

LOCAL AND AREA NEWS: Robert Steffey is attending Monmouth College. Mr. and Mrs. W. E. Hurd accompanied their son, F. E. Hurd and wife of Galesburg on a ten day auto tour of eastern Iowa and Missouri recently visiting friends and relatives enroute. Mrs. W. E. Hurd has a sister at Meade, Mo. where they spent part of time returning to Stronghurst last Sunday. Eugene Wilson was dismissed from the Santa Fe Hospital at Fort Madison where he had been the past four weeks being treated for an infected eye. He was allowed to go home but instructed to be careful with his eye and return once a week for an examination. George Galbraith of near Gladstone was in town visiting his sisters, Miss Jennie Galbraith and Mrs. Clair White. Contractor A. E. Moore and assistants are constructing a very substantial garage for Dr. Harter on the rear end of the lots on which his drug store and living rooms are located. It is being built of hollow tile with a brick veneer and when finished will be complete in every detail.

Mrs. Mable Stine met with a painful accident last Sunday night. After returning home from church, she had occasion to step outside the door and in some manner fell and broke her right arm near the wrist in almost the same place her left arm was broken some time ago, but this time one bone in the arm broke instead of two in the former case. Frank Silsbee, a former Stronghurst boy, is now located at Shreveport, La., and is making good in the oil and gas business in which he has been interested in the past 20 years. He makes occasional visits back to the old home town to see his 80 year old mother. Frank, when here growing up, was of a rather slender build, but now he says he weighs 210 pounds. Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Putney, who reside on the R. N. Marshall farm south of Stronghurst, are the parents of a fine 10 lb. boy, born on Oct. 3rd. Relatives received work that twins were born to Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Moreland at Truman Minn., on Sept. 30th. A son was born to Mr. and Mrs. Lorenzo Foote at their home in Anna, Ill. on Oct. 1st.

During three months ending Oct. 4th, the local elevator company bought something over 100,000 bushels of grain from the farmers of this locality for which over $103,000 were paid out. Mrs. Ida Suter of Kirkwood passed away at her home in Kirkwood where she has spent her entire life. She was the mother of Del Suter of Media. James Strictland, who has conducted a filling station on east Main St. for several years, has decided to retire and is offering his station equipment for sale. Miss Ethel Brokaw returned home from a Peoria hospital where she underwent an operation for appendicitis. Mr. and Mrs. John Breen returned from their auto trip to Wyoming. They thought they might decide to locate there, but decided after a few weeks stay that they liked Illinois better. O. P. Duncan and family who came from Berwick, Ill. have moved into the house on Cooper St. vacated by Mr. and Mrs. M. H. Lovitt. Mr. Duncan is employed on one of the shifts at the local railroad station. Mr. John McConn, a railroad man from Winnipeg, Can., has been visiting his half brother, Wm. Graham, who is slowly recovering from a paralytic stroke. Mr. McConn is himself recovering from a recent illness and is taking a 60 day furlough from his railroad work. He expects to spend a few weeks in Florida before turning to Canada.

MEDIA MEANDERINGS: Mrs. J. B. Heap and daughter, Arlene, accompanied by Dr. Kimmery of Smithshire, went to Galesburg where Miss Arlene underwent an operation for the removal of tonsils and adenoids by Dr. Winters at Cottage Hospital. The doctor came home the same day, but Mrs. Heap and daughter remained until Friday when Bennie drove over to bring them home. Lloyd Palmer has been laid up for a week with a strained back he hurt while loading baled straw; he is recovering slowly. Mr. and Mrs. Russell Brokaw and two children are moving to town into the building owned by N. J. Gram and recently vacated by Dr. R. H. Rankin and family. Mr. Brokaw has been employed as a salesman for the E.G. Lewis Seed Co.

Archie Heap, Dale Moon, Forest Admire, LaVerne Gerald, Don Gilliland, Clifford Campbell, Mesdames George Wax, C. R. Pendarvis, Etta Thompson, Misses Lillian Mink and Zelma Campbell, Mr. and Mrs. Raymond Mathers and Donald, Mr. and Mrs. W.W. Murtland and William, Mrs. Frank and Robert Gibb attended the moving picture play of "Tess of the Storm Country" at Raritan Wednesday night. Bennie Heap went to Lomax Sunday evening to resume his work as a high school teacher, but retuned on train No. 24 Monday a.m, as the schools were ordered closed another week on account of small pox. C. G. Richey returned from an extended stay at Winnipeg, Canada looking after farm interests. Charles Pogue and Edison Moon have brought in Western lambs which they intend to feed for the Eastern market. Profs. Jasper Shoemaker and Neil Ausmus went to Burlington Thursday night to attend the moving picture of one of Zane Grey's writings which was reproduced on the screen in natural colors.

BIGGSVILLE BRIEFS: Ray Johnson moved his family from the Weigand property to the Adair property. The high school football team was defeated at Colchester last Friday. A birthday surprise was sprung on Mrs. Nancy Jamison last Friday afternoon at the home of her son George who she thought was to accompany him to Burlington. She was surprised to find guests assembled at a social planned by her daughter-in-law. A two course luncheon was served. Decorations carried out the Halloween idea and with a big birthday cake with candles. Mrs. Jamison received several nice presents. Those attending were the following: Mrs. Nettie Welch, Mrs. Will Campbell, Mrs. S. C. Whiteman, Mrs. Lizzie Whiteman, Mrs. Esther Foster, Mrs. George Kelly, Mrs. Albert Pearson of Biggsville; Mrs. Hiechel of Smithshire; Mrs. Will Fliege of Oquawka and Mrs. H.V. Jamison of Burlington.

OLENA OBSERVATIONS: John McCartney who was so badly injured some time ago is able to be about again. Farmers are busy cutting fodder, fall plowing sowing grain, and some are beginning to fill their silos. Mr. Charles Lyons and his two nephews, Charles and Melvin Schroeder of Media, have returned from a trip to Minnesota. The social at the Olena church was fairly well attended. The booths attracted quite a little attention. Mrs. Lura Lant gave a reading, Mr. Lant and Miss Winifred Dowell added pleasing instrumental numbers and the young people gave a fine song service. Coffee, sandwiches, ice cream and cake composed the menu and about $20 were take in. H. S. Lant was accompanied to Chicago by his wife and babe where she is visiting and sightseeing in Chicago, Griffith and Valparaiso, Ind. Harvey's run this last ten days has been from Chicago to Durand, Mich., and while in the latter place he crossed the dividing line and spent a few hours in Sarnia, Canada. Mrs. Charles Waterman of Hopper returned from a visit with relatives in Nebraska.

Quite a number from here attended the K.K.K. (Klu Klux Klan) speaking in Burlington Saturday day and night. The report one of the largest crowds Burlington has seen for many years. The floats were described as beautiful and the parade large and spectacular. They learned that many had joined the organization there. Several homes are reporting cases of whooping cough amongst their children. Clint Burrell has moved to Burlington where he will work on the hard roads and S.C.Lant and family have moved into the home vacated. Calvin Lant has stored his goods and he and wife and daughter are visiting relatives in Iowa and Nebraska. The lady's mother, Mrs. Dan Burrell, accompanied them as far as Ottumwa, Iowa.

CARMAN CONCERNS: Mr. and Mrs. A. C. Babcook and Delia Jarvis of Dallas City went to Forest, Ill. by auto last Saturday to attend a football game there which was managed by their son Golden, who teaches in the school. They made the return trip on Sunday and arrived home at 7:30 p.m. The Rehling property is being treated to a coat of paint. Frank Wisby is also painting his property. Mr. and Mrs. Henry Nehner are the proud parents of a son born at St. Francis Hospital Monday morning. U.L. Marsden and James Good are on the grand jury in Oquawka. The farmers are very busy loading coal that arrived Monday. The local freight train on the "Q" has been having a double header the last few days in order to handle freight on this branch. Mrs. Wm. Babcook received a telegram from Missouri last Saturday informing her of the death of her father, J.L. Paul, who had been making his home with his daughter, Mrs. George Reims. His body was brought back to Lomax where funeral services were held. Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Dannenberg of St. Louis are visiting his brothers, Fred and Louie this week.