The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

The 1924 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross

Stronghurst Graphic,May 15, 2018

DEAD IN A WELL: James P. Sea, who has for the past eleven years been employed as pumper for the T.P. & W. Railroad at La Harpe, was found dead in the bottom of the well over which the pump house is located last Monday afternoon at about 1:30. The body of the unfortunate man is supposed to have been in the well about two hours and a half before it was discovered as a watch which Mr. Sea carried had stopped at 10:50 a.m.

It is supposed that Sea had gone down the two flights of stairs leading to the pumping machinery for the purpose of oiling the same and that while so engaged, he had either slipped and fallen into the well or had suffered an apoplectic stroke and toppled over into the well.

The failure of Mr. Sea to come home for the noontime meal was the first indication which his family had that something was wrong and an investigation was started which resulted in the finding of the body. The remains were removed to the undertaking rooms in the city where an inquest was held later in the evening and a verdict of death by drowning rendered.

A rather strange coincidence in the case was that Mr. Sea's death occurred on his 70th birthday. He had been employed in various capacities by the T.P. & W. Railroad for many years and was a trusted employee as well as a model citizen of the community. He is survived by his wife, two sons, four daughters, one brother and one sister. Funeral services were held May 14th at 2:30 p.m. at the Union Church in La Harpe and interment of the remains made in the La Harpe Cemetery.

NEW WOMEN'S COMMUNITY CLUB: Stronghurst's new Women's Community Club room was formally opened for public use Thursday afternoon. The hostesses for the occasion were Mrs. Metta Beardsley, Mrs. Ruth Steffey and Mrs. Ruth Gilliland of the Club's social committee and Mrs. Carrie Marshall and Mrs. Anna Ingerson of the house committee.

The sewing of carpet rags for ex-service men and the making and hemming of towels occupied the earlier part of the gathering of the ladies after which a program of readings and music was furnished by Misses Virgie Gilliland, Florence May Findley, Frances Mahaffey, Ilene Jones Winnibeth Rankin and Mrs. Martha Rehling. Delicious refreshments consisting of chicken sandwiches, pickles, coffee, orange sherbet and wafers were served.

Mrs. Beardsley, on behalf of the hostesses, thanked all who had contributed to the kitchen furnishings and in a few well chosen words extended the privilege of the use of the room to all as a rest room and for social purposes. Mrs. C. Mary Harter, acting president, spoke of the pleasure afforded the members in once more having a club home and of the effort which it had cost to secure the room and have it prepared and fitted up in such convenient shape. She also spoke in terms of commendation of the fine public spirit manifested by those who had pushed the work to completion.

The room was handsomely decorated with large bouquets of lilacs and pink crab apple blossoms and on a large table in the center of the room were assembled the various articles of kitchen furnishings donated by individuals.

Since the burning of the school building some 15 months ago when the old club room was given up for use as a school room, the most of the furniture and furnishings belonging to the club have been housed in the I.O.O.F. building in the village, the use of which for club purposes was also generously donated by the lodge. The School board also kindly cooperated in the proper preservation of some of the club property:The teachers of the grade and high schools were honorary guests of the club at this formal opening. Mrs. Harter announced some of the plans and designs which have been kept in mind in the fitting up and equipping of the new room.

Community service has been aimed at providing a rest room and library and a suitable place for social gatherings at any time with heat and light and water furnished by an inside cistern pump and an outside toilet conveniently located. Restrictions are placed upon card playing, dancing or other forms of amusement not approved of by the house committee. (In 1924 such activity was viewed as scandalous by some people; remember this is prohibition!) It is also decided to allow the use of the room to other social and business organizations for meeting purposes or for suppers, banquets, etc. with the use of the dining room and kitchen conveniences at normal charges.

The young people of the community are especially invited to enjoy the use of the room for social gatherings with music and games to suit their pleasure. One who has a large place in their heart for boys is contributing liberally toward the expense of the room in that the Boy Scouts organization my have a home here. The fact that convenience and appearance was considered by the planners of the building rather than cost of improvements is one much appreciated by the club women. The regular club library, in addition to the Springfield circulating library, will be in charge of Mrs. Martha Rehling and will for the present be open on Tuesday instead of Saturday afternoons. (Opening of the club room was a very big deal as women needed a place to stay while their husbands, brothers or attorneys conducted business. A restroom, even one outside, was a definite plus too. (Now the town had a meeting place open to many groups.)

OFFERING SOYBEANS: To encourage the growing of Soy Beans in Henderson County, the E. G. Lewis Seed Co. of Media offer to furnish any farmer who will plant 20 acres in Soy Beans his seed and permit him to pay for seed after his crop of beans are harvested. The growers must sign an agreement to pay for seed when his crop of beans is sold.

***OBITUARY***JOSEPH MURPHY: Joseph T. Murphy, a brother of our fellow townsman, Frank J. Murphy, died very suddenly at his home in North Platte, Nebr. May 3rd at the age of 67 years. Although the deceased never lived in this vicinity, he was known to a few people in the community who had met him on the occasions of his visits at his brother's home here.

The following account of Mr. Murphy's death is taken from a North Platte newspaper: "North Platte people were shocked when they heard of the sudden death of Joseph T. Murphy at his home at 403 S. Willow Saturday evening. Mr. Murphy had been at his work as usual during the day and after the evening meal he was in the home with other members of the family when the end came.

He came to North Platte over 33 years ago and a few years later began working for the Union Pacific. He was a carpenter and became foreman of the bridge and building department on the division. This position he had held for many years. He was a member of a number of local organizations among them being the Methodist Church, the Odd Fellows lodge and the labor craft. He was a member of the city council during the past two years and was just entering on his second term. He is survived by his wife, two daughters and a son. Funeral services will be held at the Methodist Church."

LAWN SOCIAL: The Ladies Missionary Society of the Stronghurst Lutheran Church will hold a social on the church lawn on Saturday evening, May 17th, which the general public is cordially invited to attend. During the course of the evening the following menu will be served cafeteria style: sandwiches, rolls, pickles, fruit salad with whipped cream, cake and coffee. In case of inclement weather the social will be held in the basement rooms of the church.

A GREAT PHOTOPLAY: The greatest photoplay, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, ever presented in Southeastern Iowa will be shown in Burlington for one week. This picturization of Victor Hugo's immortal classic is a reassurance that the motion picture is an art. It cost a million and a half dollars and was months in the making. Harold D. Barnes, manager of the Rialto Theater was here acquainting the public with the merits of this mammoth production.

LOCAL AND AREA NEWS: Mr. and Mrs. Fleming McMillan are the happy parents of a bouncing baby boy tipping the beam at 8 lbs. 10 oz. born at the Burlington Hospital on May 1st. R.R. Davidson and wife have moved to the property vacated by A. A. Cavins in the north part of the village. Miss Ethel Brokaw of St. Ansgar, Iowa and her friend, Mrs. Olson, visited at the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. I. H. Brokaw. A large crowd attended services Sunday to hear Rev. Olson's farewell sermon at the Lutheran Church. He left by auto on Monday for his new charge at Denver, Colo. Miss Evelyn Hartquist was elected as delegate from the Phi Omega Pi society at Northwestern University to represent it at Depauw University, Greencastle, Ind., where a new chapter is being installed. Frank Johnson shipped one car of hogs for the Shipping Association. Miss Edith Simmons who has been confined in the Burlington Hospital the past five weeks by injuries received in an automobile accident and return home. Mrs. Susie Baxter, who has been in the home of her son Glenn and wife at Gilson, Ill. since last fall returned here and packed her household goods and sent them by truck to Gilson where she expects to keep house for her son Eugene, who is engaged in the lumber business there. Men are engaged this week in leveling up the streets of the village and preparing them for an application of road oil in the near future. Twelve carloads of cattle were shipped from the local station to the Chicago market by the following: C. G. Richey-4 loads, Frank Pearson and O. A. Rankin-four loads, Joe Peasley-two loads, Edgar Hartquist and Harold Allison-two loads. C. E. Peasley, C. G. Richey, Edgar Hartquist, Frank Pearson and O. A. Rankin accompanied the shipment. Contractor A. E. Moore and men are engaged in reshingling and putting in hard wood floors in the W. H. Bainter home south of town.

The Chant home in the village was the scene of a happy family reunion on Mother's Day, all of the sons and daughters of the family being home excepting Lloyd, who is in New Mexico. Lee Wilson, who came down with his wife from Argo, Ill. returned to his work, but Mrs. Wilson remained for a week's visit with her parents. Lee recently entered the employ of the Ford Motor Co. at Argo at a salary of $50 per week and soon obtained a raise of $10 which he says beats railroading.

***OBITUARY***MRS. LOUISE HARBISON: Mrs. Harbinson suddenly Saturday morning passed away at the home of her brother-in-law, Denton Harbison. The funeral was held at Smithshire Tuesday afternoon. Mrs. Harbison is survived by her mother, two daughters, Mesdames Roy Shook and Ed Bigger of this vicinity and a brother in California. Her death came as a shock to her relatives and friends as she was in her usual health until a few minutes before her death. She was stricken with apoplexy. She was about 55 years of age.

MEDIA MEANDERINGS: The Senior play, "And Home Came Ted," given at the Academy was a great success. Proceeds were over $50. The grade school closed Thursday with a basket dinner at the school house at noon. Graduating exercises for the 7th and 8th grades will be in the evening. Miss Faree Mathers is home from Maquon having closed a successful term of school near there. H. O. White is serving as a member of the Federal Grand Jury in Peoria. Charles Pogue shipped a fine bunch of cattle and hogs. Russell Mathers was laid up last week from a badly infected thumb on his right hand caused by a scratch from a rusty nail. He is able to be at work again. The city is having a well drilled west of the Sullivan blacksmith shop. They are better than 100 feet down and still drilling. Parties from Dallas City are doing the work. A baseball team is being organized for Saturday afternoon games. Chas. Pogue is manager and Earl Campbell, captain. A tract of ground just west of town has been leased from Stoots Mathers and is being put in condition for all kinds of athletic sports.