The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.
West Central Board Approves Tentative Budget
At the August 22nd board meeting, the board approved the Tentative FY19 District Budget and directed Superintendent Markey to place it on public display. The FY19 budget is a deficit budget of $838,667. Of that deficit $426,075 is expenditures for current life safety projects. This deficit is in part due to the fact that revenue for the life safety projects was received in FY16; however, the work is being completed in FY19. Funds are available and were designated for these projects. Expenditures will be monitored closely to make every attempt to reduce expenditures and come in under budget.
The meeting was called to order at 6:00 p.m. in the elementary cafeteria by Board President Arnold. All board members were present at roll call. Also present were Superintendent Markey, Kathy Lafary, Joe Peters, Jason Kirby, Shane Tucker, Andrea Frieden, Shaila Ayer, Melinda Frakes, Dan Bowman, Heidi Ford, Wesley Stewart, and Nancy Clark. President Arnold then led the audience in the Pledge of Allegiance.
Under Good News Items, the following was highlighted:
- District registration was well attended and many staff assisted with the process.
- Thanked Eagleview for providing physicals during registration. This year they did 40 physicals.
- Forty-nine percent of West Central Kindergarten students are demonstrating Kindergarten readiness on the Kindergarten Individual Development Survey assessment in all three areas - social-emotional development, language and literacy, and math. West Central scored the highest of all 12 districts in the ROE #33 region.
- Band & chorus received a letter from Educational Tours congratulating them on their recent trip to Orlando, Florida.
- Eleven freshman have signed up to run for student council.
- 4-H students from the district participated at the Henderson County Fair and represented well.
- Back to School Night was well attended with approximately 86% of the elementary students attending.
The board approved the meeting agenda as presented with the following Discussion Item additions:
VIII.G. Pre-K Playground
VIII.H. Ticket Taker Policy
There was no one present to address the board.
The board approved the Consent Agenda as presented. Items approved under the Consent Agenda included the following:
- the minutes of the July 18, 2018, Regular Meeting and Closed Session,
- the minutes of the August 1, 2018, Special Meeting and Closed Session,
- all bills as presented,
- the Activity Accounts, and
- the District Treasurer's Report as presented.
In other business the board:
- heard a report from Superintendent Markey on the opening of the 2018-2019 school year. She reported on the New Teacher Academy, registration, first day institute, Back to School Night, and the first student attendance days.
- heard an update from Darrell Gittings regarding the 3 Circles Grant.
- discussed the low numbers out for 7th grade girls' and boys' basketball. As a result, the board has tentatively agreed to allow 6th graders to play on the 7th grade team and eliminate the 6th grade basketball schedule for the 2018-2019 school year.
- discussed the possibility of establishing a WCMS softball program. The board directed Shane Tucker and Superintendent Markey to gather more information to present to the board at the September 26, 2018 board meeting.
- discussed West Central's current substitute pay and directed Superintendent Markey to gather additional information to present at the September 26, 2018 Board meeting.
- discussed the district's current facilities and needs. The board will participate in a board retreat to discuss it further and set goals.
- Superintendent Markey updated the board on the Pre-K playground expansion with remaining FY18 grant funds.
- reviewed and discussed a revised Ticket Taker policy which reflected input from WCATS.
The board reviewed and heard reports from the building principals; Shane Tucker, Athletic Director; Melinda Frakes, District Technology Coordinator; and Shaila Ayer, Special Education Director.
- authorized Nancy Clark to take the steps necessary to change the signatory names on the West Central High School Activity Account at the Bank of Stronghurst from Ben Rees to Jason Kirby and from Tanya Morrison to Jennifer Hoogerwerf.
- authorized Nancy Clark to take the steps necessary to change the signatory names on the West Central High School Imprest Account at Midwest Bank of Western Illinois from John Schneider to Jason Kirby and from Tanya Morrison to Jennifer Hoogerwerf.
- authorized Sherri Walters to take the steps necessary to change the signatory names on the WCMS Activity account at the Bank of Stronghurst from Julia Burns to Joe Peters.
- authorized Sherri Walters to take the steps necessary to change the signatory names on the WCMS Imprest account at Midwest Bank of Western Illinois from Julia Burns to Joe Peters.
- approved accepting a $5,000 monetary gift from the Twomey Family with gratitude.
The board approved the Intergovernmental Agreement with Delabar CTE System as presented.
The board entered closed session at 8:15 p.m. to discuss the following topics:
- The appointment, employment, compensation, discipline, performance, or dismissal of specific employees of the public body or legal counsel for the public body, including hearing testimony on a complaint lodged against an employee of the public body or against legal counsel for the public body to determine its validity;
- Collective negotiating matters between the school board and its employees or their representatives, or deliberations concerning salary schedules for one or more classes of employees.
The board exited closed session at 9:05 p.m.
The board took the following action in regards to personnel:
- accepted the resignation of Lanie Hultgren as the WCHS Guidance Counselor as presented with thanks for her service,
- approved the transfer of Charlie Huss to the WCMS 1st shift position,
- approved the transfer of Amy Bole to the WCMS 2nd shift position,
- approved the employment of Paige Torrance as a full-time School Nurse pending all pre-employment requirements,
- approved the employment of Mallory Nelson as a School Psychologist/Counselor pending completion of all pre-employment requirements,
- approved overload pay for Adam Boyle to teach one period of Consumer Education as presented,
- approved overload pay for Tom Williams to teach one period of Consumer Education as presented,
- approved a $1,000 stipend to Connie Sue Torrance to perform the duties of securing substitutes for both certified staff and Associates for the 2018-2019 school year,
- accepted the resignation of Jackson Kane as the 6th grade girls' basketball coach with thanks for his service,
- accepted the resignation of Amy Olson as the 7th grade girls' basketball coach with thanks for her service,
- accepted the resignation of Barb Gray as the WCMS Speech sponsor with thanks for her service,
- approved the employment of Bonita Worthington as a WCES Enrichment Sponsor, and
- approved the revised Exempt Staff Salaries for the 2018-2019 school year.
The board was reminded that the next regularly scheduled meeting will be Wednesday, September 26, 2018 at 6:00 p.m. with a Budget Hearing scheduled for 5:30 p.m.
There being no other business to come before the board, the board adjourned the meeting at 9:12 p.m.