The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.
La Harpe City Council Must Replace Another Alderman
-from minutes of City Clerk, Lucretia McPeak
La Harpe Mayor Kat Hasten-Reed read a letter of resignation from Alderman Ryan Olson who was appointed to fill the place of Kenny Brown.
Olson, who is also Superintendent of La Harpe and Dallas City School Districts is moving out of state. Also, Vagrancy issues were addressed.
It was suggested for citizens to write down their questions concerning the Hancock County Sheriff's department implementing working with La Harpe on the Police coverage issue. The council would welcome questions prior to talking more with the Hancock County Sheriff concerning this issue.
Sheriff Bentzinger shared with the council the concept of working with the Hancock County Sheriff's office to provide coverage in La Harpe vs. having a separate department.
The board approved a motion to further discuss Police coverage in the La Harpe area.
They also approved a motion to update Police Policy stating that any Officer hired by the City of La Harpe will pay back any expenses, uniform, equipment, and training cost if not remaining with the City of LaHarpe for 2 years from hiring date, or expenses will be pro-rated after Cities re-imbursement from training.
The action occurred at the regular meeting of the La Harpe City Council which met June 11, at City Hall. At 7:01 pm Mayor Hasten-Reed called the meeting to order.
Answering roll call were: Dave Clover, Jerry Burford, Randy Shumaker, Greg Wisslead, Brian Covert, Treasurer-Maggie Link, City Clerk-Lucretia McPeak, and Mayor Katherine Hasten-Reed. Absent was Ryan Olson.
Also present: Larry Finch, Monalisa Graves, Eric Moe, Dan Gillett, David Little, Christopher Scholz, Sheriff Benzinger, Marlie Burt, Max Owsley, and Trevor Finch.
With a lengthly agenda during the meeting, the board heard:
- Marlie Burt has passed her gun course.
- Larry Finch say City cell phones aren't being used and can be discontinued.
- David Little request a spray patching.
- City Clerk Lucretia McPeak report the Prevailing Wage Ordinance will be on the next agenda.
- A Public Meeting will be held on June 25, 2018, at 7:00 pm (prior to the regular meeting), at La Harpe City Hall to inform Citizens of the La Harpe Water Improvements. A notice will be put in "The Quill".
- Treasurer Link bring up employee information regarding job titles and departments.
- Attorney Scholz give updates on properties in litigation.
- City Engineer Eric Moe report he had permits and project papers that needed to be signed by Alderman Clover, the Mayor, and the City Clerk.
- Max Owsley ask about the contact person for the CDAP Housing grant in "Public Comment" and expressed concern about updating City Hall. (Mayor Hasten-Reed said that she was the contact person in LaHarpe).
- discussion on hiring a Police Officer and it's to be on the next agenda.
- discussion on putting together a committee for the Basketball court in the City Park as it was given Memorial trust money of $5,000.00, but it will cost more to make the improvements.
- discussion on updating the Policy on employees requesting and purchasing consumables. This will be on the next agenda.
- discussion on pets in the City Park which falls under the Nuisance Ordinance #92.01. Police are to enforce the Ordinance as written in the City Code of Ordinances.
- City Alderman also made motions that were approved:
- to appropriate funds from Motor Fuel Tax to pay $516.60 to Gray Quarries.
- to appropriate funds from Motor Fuel Tax to pay $172.64 to Central Stone Co.
- to accept the May minutes.
- to accept the Treasurer's report and pay bills
- to accept the Form SF424 (Application for Federal Assistance).
- to review water project status and approve documents and take action as necessary to keep the Water Project on it's proper timeline.
- to accept Ordinance 2018-12 (Ordinance Amending Chapter 74-Recreational Vehicles) with the deletion of turn signals.
- to update the 457 Plan retroactive to correspond with the personnel Policy.
- to allow City Attorney to bill the City of La Harpe separately for the Water Project so the City can take the bill off the Water Project.
- to purchase of 16 Ton of Lime for $1,600.00.
- to allow selling bulletproof vest to Kenneth Foster.
- to close North Center Street from Main to Archer on June 15th from 5-7 pm for VBS Program.
The regular meeting adjourned at 9:20 pm.
The next Council meeting will be June 25, 2018, at 7 PM, at City Hall.
A Public Meeting will be at 7:00 pm with Regular meeting to follow.