The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.
Board Looks Ahead Approves Graduation Date
At the Wednesday, December 12, 2018, regular board meeting of the West Central C.U.S.D. #235 Board of Education the board approved the WCHS seniors' graduation date as Sunday, May 19, 2018 at 2:00 p.m. (a week after Mothers Day).
The meeting was called to order at 6:00 p.m. in the West Central Elementary School cafeteria by Board President Jodi Arnold.
All board members were present at roll call.
President Arnold led the audience in the Pledge of Allegiance.
Under Good News Items the following items were highlighted:
- Mrs. Ouellette has organized high school reading buddies for the elementary students. What a rewarding experience for both groups!
- Mrs. Ricketts, Mrs. Smith, and Mrs. Carnes received a $100 grant from Scholastic through the Meemic Foundation.
- The Fine Arts Department did a fantastic job with the winter music concerts and our first art show. We have some very talented children.
- Ms. Worthington's 5th grade class successfully organized and led the December PBIS assembly. They received good reviews including on their crowd control.
- West Central Middle School received flag football equipment from Fuel Up 60.
- Alicia Anderson has been named the The Register-Mail's All-Area Volleyball Coach of the Year.
- Corinne Booton has been named the Register-Mail's All-Area Volleyball Player of the Year.
- Cody Eaton has been selected as Sunny 97.7 WMOI Teacher of the Month for December.
- West Central High School will recognize four Illinois State Scholars at the January Board meeting.
The agenda was approved with the following addition under Discussion Items:
The board approved the Consent Agenda. Items approved under the Consent Agenda included the following:
- The minutes of the November 13, 2018, Regular Meeting and
- The November 2018 bills, November 2018 building Activity Account Reports, the November 2018 Treasurer's Report, and review of the District Financial Report.
The board discussed the current prom policy after hearing comments from Cindy Rhinehart regarding the age restriction on attending prom.
The board received a proposal from Matthew Stewart regarding the purchase of new band uniforms for the 2019-2020 school year. These uniforms will be purchased with a combination of district funds and fundraising efforts.
The board reviewed and heard reports from the building principals as well as a Technology Report from Mrs. Frakes, a report from our District Psychologist and Special Education Director, Shaila Ayer, and a report from Shane Tucker, our Athletic Director.
The following items were noted:
- Mrs. Lafary reported that the elementary music concerts were very well done.
- Mrs. Lafary reports that the elementary students are currently in their roller skating unit.
- Mr. Peters noted the success of the WCMS girls' basketball team in regional play.
- Mr. Peters noted that the WCMS boys' basketball team took 2nd place in the Sand Valley Tournament.
- Mr. Peters reminded the board of the middle school and high school upcoming music concert on Tuesday, December 18, 2018 at 7:00 p.m.
- Mr. Kirby reported that the high school is preparing for final exams.
- Mr. Tucker reported that the television in the hall being used to highlight past and upcoming events is working well.
- Mr. Tucker reported that the WCHS boys' basketball team is 3-1 in the United Tournament, and they will play against United on Friday, December 14, 2018 at 6:00 p.m.
- Mr. Tucker reported that athletic banners recognizing the past accomplishments of our athletic teams have been ordered to hang in the high school gymnasium.
- Mrs. Frakes reported that the Technology Committee is working to schedule some upcoming meeting dates and is already preparing for next year's technology professional development.
In other business the board:
- approved the 2018 Tax Levy as presented. This year's tax levy calls for an extension amount of $5,667,467 which is an increase over the 2017 levy extension amount of 4.99%.
- approved the requests of two students to graduate earlier pending completion of all graduation requirements.
- The board approved the request of a student to attend a shortened day second semester.
- approved a Memorandum of Understanding with Regional Office of Education #33 to provide training for short-term substitutes.
- approved deactivating the lightening detector system on the North and South campuses.
The board entered closed session at 6:56 p.m. to discuss the following topics:
A. The appointment, employment, compensation, discipline, performance, or dismissal of specific employees of the public body or legal counsel for the public body, including hearing testimony on a complaint lodged against an employee of the public body or against legal counsel for the public body to determine its validity.
A. Collective negotiating matters between the school board and its employees or their representatives, or deliberations concerning salary schedules for one or more classes of employees.
A. Student disciplinary cases.
A. The placement of individual students in special education programs and other matters relating to individual students.
The board took the following action in regards to personnel:
- approved the Intent to Retire of Lisa Lox at the end of the 2021-2022 school year
- accepted the resignation of Amanda Mowder as a Bus Driver
- approved the employment of Toni Hendrickson as a part-time Title Associate
- approved the employment of Laura Lewis as a Homebound Instructor
- approved the employment of Ryan Muegge as a SAT Prep Course Instructor
- approved the employment of Michael Holloran as a SAT Prep Course Instructor, and
- approved Darren Stewart as a WCHS Volunteer Bowling Coach.
The board was reminded that the next regularly scheduled meeting will be Wednesday, January 16, 2019 at 6:00 p.m. in the West Central Elementary cafeteria.
There being no other business to come before the board, the board adjourned their meeting at 8:57 p.m.