The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.
West Central Explores New Health Insurance Carrier
At the July 18, 2018, regular meeting of the West Central C.U.S.D. #235 Board of Education, Superintendent Markey updated the board on the progress of the exploration of a new health insurance carrier.
A committee of board members, administrators, and both certified and non-certified staff was formed. They heard presentations from Kepple Companies as well as ISEBC.
After hearing both presentations and doing a comparison of the two companies, the committee is recommending a switch to ISEBC for the district employee health insurance.
The board will be presented with this recommendation and asked to act on it at the August meeting. If the board approves, Superintendent Markey and the committee will work with ISEBC to make this switch with an anticipated effective date of July 1, 2019.
The meeting was called to order at 6 p.m. in the elementary library by Board President Arnold. All board members were present at roll call with the exception of Bryan Spence and Mike Lenahan. Board member Lenahan arrived at 6:04 p.m. President Arnold then led the audience in the Pledge of Allegiance.
Under Good News Items, the following accomplishments were highlighted:
- Harrison Fisher competed in the State Special Olympics at Illinois State University on June 16. He ran the 1500 m race and earned a Silver medal with a time of 5:35:44.
- Heidi Ford reported that the FFA Tractor Pull was a success.
- Heidi Ford reported that the FFA show kids are all over the nation bringing home yellow and gold ribbons.
- Superintendent Markey announced an All District Family potluck for West Central C.U.S.D. #235 employees will be Saturday, August 25, 2018 at 4:30 p.m. at the Stronghurst Park.
The board approved the agenda with the following additions/deletions:
- VIII. Discussion Items
- D. District Health Insurance
- E. Pre-K Playground
- F. Bus Lease for Mini Bus
- XIII. Action Items
- A. Retirements/Leaves/Resignations:
- Resignations: 6. Erica Bush, Elementary Teacher
- D. Extracurricular
- 4. Amy Olson, Assistant Athletic Director
- XIII. Action Items
- 1. Erica Bush, 2nd Grade to 1st Grade (Enclosure)
- A. Extracurricular
- 1. Trey Goff, WCMS Head Football Coach (Enclosure)
The board approved the Consent Agenda as presented. Items approved under the Consent Agenda included the following:
- the minutes of the June 20, 2018, Regular Meeting and the Closed Session Minutes of June 20, 2018,
- all bills as presented as well as several additional bills that were received this week, and
- the District Treasurer's Report as presented.
As a result of not being able to secure a Golf Coach for the 2018 season, Mr. Kirby presented the option of conducting golf similar to the way swimming, bowling, and cross country are run. As a result of this discussion, the plan is to manage golf for the 2018-2019 season in the same manner as swimming, bowling, and cross country.
In other business the board:
- heard a brief update from Superintendent Markey on the summer work progress.
- Superintendent Markey presented the unaudited FY18 Budget Summary as of June 30, 2018. Preliminary numbers indicate that we operated in FY18 under budget in all areas and with a deficit in the Life/Safety fund only. As of July 18, 2018, the State of Illinois owes the District $114,585.
- heard a proposal to extend the Pre-K playground with remaining grant funds. The extension would include a fenced in cement slab that would allow early childhood students to practice gross motor skills of riding tricycles, etc.
- discussed the option of leasing a mini activity bus. The Board directed Superintendent Markey to explore this option further.
- approved and adopted the following proposed policy changes to the following Board policies as presented on Second Reading:
- Policy 2:260 - Uniform Grievance Procedure, Policy 4:40 - Incurring Debt, Policy 5:20 - Workplace Harassment Prohibited, and Policy 5:170 - Copyright
- approved a 3-year lease with Digital Copy Systems, LLC for copiers as presented.
- approved a part-time, temporary Assistant Transportation Director position as presented.
- approved an Assistant Athletic Director position as presented.
The following future agenda items were noted:
a. Bus Lease for 15 passenger bus
c. District Health Insurance
d. Baseball Scoreboard
e. District Facilities
The board entered closed session at 7:08 p.m. to discuss the following subjects:
A.The appointment, employment, compensation, discipline, performance, or dismissal of specific employees of the public body or legal counsel for the public body, including hearing testimony on a complaint lodged against an employee of the public body or against legal counsel for the public body to determine its validity;
B. Discussion of minutes of meeting lawfully closed under the Open Meetings Act, whether for purposes of school board approval of the minutes or semi-annual review of the minutes as required by the Act.
The board exited closed session at 8:11 p.m.
The board took the following action in regards to personnel:
- accepted the resignation of Donna Link as a District Cook with thanks for her service,
- accepted the resignation of Kimberly Harrison as the WCES Assistant Principal with thanks for her service,
- accepted the resignation of Rachael Landrey as an elementary teacher with thanks for her service,
- accepted the resignation of Joe Peters as the WCHS Assistant Principal,
- accepted the resignation of Josh Heitman as a Business teacher,
- accepted the resignation of Erica Bush as an elementary teacher with thanks for her service,
- employed Joe Peters as the WCMS Principal pending completion of all pre-employment requirements,
- employed Shane Tucker as the WCHS Assistant Principal pending completion of all pre-employment requirements,
- employed Andrea Frieden as the WCES Dean of Students pending completion of all pre-employment requirements,
- employed Steve Shimmin as a part-time, non-contractual WCHS Math teacher for the 2018-2019 school year as presented and pending completion of all pre-employment requirements,
- employed Jeanne Seitz as a part-time, non-contractual WCHS Math teacher for the 2018-2019 school year as presented,
- employed Rachael Allaman as a WCES elementary teacher pending completion of all pre-employment requirements,
- accepted the resignation of Rachael Landrey as a WCES Enrichment Co-Sponsor with thanks for her service,
- accepted the resignation of Joe Peters as Athletic Director,
- accepted the resignation of Josh Heitman as WCHS Golf Coach,
- employed Nicole Ebert as WCMS Cheerleading Coach pending completion of all coaching and pre-employment requirements,
- employed Shane Tucker as Athletic Director pending completion of all pre-employment requirements,
- employed Amy Olson as Assistant Athletic Director as presented,
- approved the Extra-Curricular Duty List for 2018-2019 as presented,
- reviewed and approved the Resolution to Release Closed Session Minutes Per Exhibits A and B as presented, and
- approved the Revised Exempt Staff Salaried for 2018-2019 as presented.
The board was reminded that the next regularly scheduled meeting will be Wednesday, August 22, 2018.
There being no other business to come before the board, the board adjourned their meeting at 8:24 p.m.