The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

The 1923 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross

Stronghurst Graphic, Oct. 25, 1923

CALLED HOME: W. E. SALTER, well known citizen of Henderson County and one of Stronghurst’ s pioneer business men, passed away suddenly last Friday morning, Oct. 19th at about 8 o’clock at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Edna E. Norwood at 4432 Park Ave., Chicago.  Mr. Salter had arisen at his usual time that morning and after eating breakfast had busied himself in splitting up some kindling wood for the family.  Soon after he had finished this work, he was found in a dying condition in the bathroom of the apartments, having suffered an apoplectic stroke. 

He had spent the greater part of the summer with relatives in Stronghurst and went to Chicago only about two weeks ago to spend the winter with his daughter.  The news of his death came as a shock to his many friends and old neighbors here.  The remains arrived in Stronghurst on the Santa Fe train No. 5 Saturday night and were taken to the home of Mrs. Margaret Salter where they remained until Tuesday afternoon when funeral services were conducted at the M. E. Church.  Following the ceremony the remains were laid to rest in the village cemetery.

W. E. Salter, son of Paul D. and Sarah E.Salter, was born May 2, 1859 near Kirkwood, Ill.  The father, Paul D., was a native of New Jersey and emigrated westward in 1856 settling in Henderson County.  His wife was Sarah E. Edwards and to this union eight children were born: William Edward, being the oldest and the fifth member to pass to the Great Beyond.  Those who preceded him in death were David P., who was a Henderson County farmer; Ernest W., a practicing physician in Stronghurst; John N., a mail carrier of Stronghurst and one brother who died in infancy.  The surviving sisters and brother are Abbey G. Gridley of Smithshire, Ill.; Harriet C. Ackerman of El Paso, Texas; and Chalmer N. of Stronghurst. 

William Edward Salter lived with his parents on the home farm until his married to Alice May Reed on March 27, 1883.  Following their marriage they lived on a farm near Kirkwood for a number of years and then moved to Kansas. From Kansas they moved to Illinois locating in Stronghurst where for many years Mr. Salter was a merchant.  Seven children were born to this union: Ney Milton of Williams, Calif.; Silas D. of Palo Alto, Calif.; Edna E. Norwood of Chicago; Lelah G. of Chicago; William Reed of Galesburg, Ill.; Paul D. of Hannibal, Mo., and Harriet A. of Chicago.

Mr. Salter united with the M. E. Church of Stronghurst in 1899 serving as a member of the official board for several years.  His wife, Alice May Salter, preceded him in death on Dec.7, 1917.  The two oldest sons, Ney and Silas and his sister, Mrs. Ackerman, were unable to come to be with the bereaved family in their sorrow.  In addition to the other immediate relatives the following were present from a distance at the funeral: Dr. and Mrs. Bronson and family of El Paso, Texas; James Hayes and wife of Monmouth, Ill., and a number of friends of the deceased from the Salter’s Grove neighborhood and Kirkwood vicinity.

SANTA FE DISCUSSES CROSSINGS: G. H. Minchin, Div. Supt., and H. S. Shrier, Roadmaster, were in Stronghurst meeting with the village board held at the First National Bank to discuss the question of better protection for the public at the grade railway crossings in the village.  After listening to the presentation of the board’s views in regard to a need for a better system of protection than furnished by the signal bells at the two main crossings in the village, Mr. Minchin said that the railroad company was willing to admit that this system was becoming more and more inefficient in the prevention of accidents with the increase of automobile traffic and the more general use of closed cars, which made it impossible for drivers at times to hear the bells.  He further stated that the request which came from Stronghurst for better protection was only one of a large number which the company was now receiving from various towns and villages along its route.  He stated that all were being given consideration and changes being made as fast as possible…What is known as the “wig-wag” system, he said seemed to be the best substitute for the signal bell and this system is being tried out in a number of places.  By this system, a colored signal is automatically wigwagged over the center of the crossing directly in front of an approaching vehicle whenever there is a train on the main tracks within a certain number of yards from the crossing.  At night a colored light takes the place of the painted signal.  He admitted that as in the case of the warning bells, the danger signal would be given regardless of whether the train was moving or standing still, but he thought that regard for their own lives should induce the drivers of vehicles to ascertain whether a train in the danger zone was moving or standing still after the warning had been given.  He promised to take up the matter of the Stronghurst crossings with higher officials of the road at the earliest opportunity and that a “wig-wag” system would be installed at the main crossings at a not very distant period.

WEDDING BELLS-WALKER & DIXON: The marriage of Miss Lena Dixon of Carman, Ill to Dr. Alonzo B. Walker of Canton, Ohio, occurred Oct. 17th at the home of the bride’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. W.H.Dixon with the ceremony being performed by Rev. R.C. Myers of the Stronghurst M.E.Church in the presence of an invited assembly of relatives and friends.  Following the ceremony and congratulations a fine wedding feast was served.

The bride is respected and esteemed by a wide circle of friends.  For the past seven years she has devoted her life to the profession of trained nurse and it was in Denver, Colo. hospital that she formed the acquaintance of the Ohio physician who has claimed her for her bride.  Dr. Walker was a patient in the hospital and under the ministrations of Miss Dixon he regained his health.  While the happy couple is on their honeymoon trip, Dr. Walker expects to attend a medical association meeting in Chicago.

***OBITUARY***SCOTT: Mrs. Mary Scott, an aged and highly respected resident of Terre Haute, died at her home Oct.22nd.  Mrs. Scott was in her 88th year.  She is survived by two sons, Charles Scott of La Harpe and Sam Scott of Terre Haute.  Funeral services were held at the M.E.Church and interment was made in the local cemetery.

SELLING THE PLANT: La Harpe—The Western Illinois Utilities Co. expects to sell its entire electric light and power equipment to the Illinois Power and Light Corporation and is near closing the deal.  Harold G. Hungate, who has been the head of the Utilities Co. since its organization several years ago is preparing to move from LaHarpe to California.  The transfer will mean that Stronghurst will become linked up with this big system; but whether that will result in better service or the opposite, remains to be seen.

SUING FOR DAMAGES: Heirs of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Ege of Albany, Ill who were two of the five people killed at a T.P.&W. railway crossing in LaHarpe on Aug. 27, 1923 have brought suit for damages against the railroad company in Hancock County circuit court.  The five people who were victims of the tragedy were Mr. and Mrs. Ege, Mrs. Wm. Blean on Albany, and Mr. and Mrs. J.A. Miller of Bettendorf, Iowa.  They were killed when the Dodge car in which they were riding was struck by the west bound passenger train.

LOCAL AND AREA NEWS: Frederick Salter, who has employment with the W.U. Telegraph Co. in Chicago, was called home by the death of his uncle, W.E.Salter.  Mr. and Mrs. Jas. Brewer who have made their permanent home in Kewanee, Ill. were here looking after the sale of their household goods at public auction.  Dale Stine, who is a salesman for the Burroughs Adding Machine Co. with headquarters at Ottumwa, Ia., visited his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Ed Stine.  Philip Mains has secured employment with the Hammond, Ind. branch of Swift & Co. of Chicago.  Ralph Painter and Robert Adair have been in Texas and Oklahoma for the past two or three weeks negotiating sales of Hereford cattle.  F.G.Reynolds and Eddie Smith succeeded in bagging 21 wild ducks while on a hunting expedition to the river.  Mrs. Robert McKeown is recovering from injuries sustained recently when she fell from a step ladder at her home in the east part of town.  Mrs. Callie Clark returned from a visit at Flint, Mich. accompanied by her son, Floyd, who has been employed in an automobile factory there this past year. 

While keeping the old shot gun oiled up and ready for action against bank bandits who may pay the town a visit, don’t forget that it might also be used to good advantage against the chicken thieves who are abroad in the land.  We have heard of one party who lost a hundred chickens recently through these night prowlers.  The “Penny Supper” held at the local Christian Church last Friday evening proved to be a success.  A rather unique system of serving was in vogue, the cafeteria style being followed and the cost of one’s supper determined from the number of helpings received at so much per serving. Mr. and Mrs. G.W.Worley and Mr. and Mrs. Foster Lazear attended a banquet at the Hotel Burlington given by the Churchill Drug Co.  Afterward Frank Stockdale and Rufus Pankow spoke on “better merchandising.”  While picking apples from a stepladder out at the Vaughn farm west of town, J.H. Foote was thrown to the ground in such a manner as to tear the ligaments of one ankle lose.  This, along with his age, may cripple him permanently.

PUT OUT THEIR FIRES: A number of families in this village in which the meals are prepared on electric stoves were served a trick last Sunday which if repeated very often is likely to cause a slump in the demand on the public service company for current and a corresponding increase in the demand for other kinds of fuel.

At just about the time dinners in these homes were half cooked, the electric current was shut off without warning and kept off for several hours.  It was then a case of eating a half cooked meal or of hustling around to find some substitute method of finishing the cooking job.  In one case  the half cooked ingredients for the meal were taken to a neighbors and the job finished on their cook stove.  In another case some gasoline was borrowed from a neighbor and a gasoline stove which chanced to be in the house was brought into requisition.  In another case and one in which personal experience enable the writer to testify, the family was obliged to make out with an underdone roast and partially cooked vegetables because no substitute method of cooking was available.  It need hardly be added that the aggravation of the situation was not lessened by the fact that the family had “company” for dinner.

We would not wish to be accused of indulging in any harsh or unnecessary criticism of the service company which furnishes Stronghurst with her electric current, but we would respectfully suggest that if they find Sunday the one day in the week during which they can most advantageously do their line repair work, they at least try to keep in mind the fact that some of their patrons attend church and find it convenient to delay their mid-day meal an hour or so on that day.  It also does not seem unreasonable to suggest that they notify their patrons some time before hand of their intention to interrupt the service.

GENEROUS ACT OF THE KU KLUX KLAN:  The local organization of the Ku Klux Klan gave proof of the spirit of generosity toward the needy which they profess when the recently made a donation of $150 ($2,058 in today’s values) to Mrs. H. A. Shallenberger, whose husband was killed and young son so terribly injured in the railroad crossing accident here on Oct.6th.  Mrs. Shallenberger wishes to extend her appreciation.  She also thanks the Men’s Bible Class of the Christian Church for aide rendered and all who helped in any way in their time of affliction.

K.K.K. RECRUITING: Rev. Fred Finker, a United Brethren preacher from Indiana and lecturer for the Ku Klux Klan, and a Mr. Burke, an organizer for the Klan, have been here for a day or two in the interests of the organization.

On Tuesday afternoon, Rev. Finkner addressed an assemblage of women at the Masonic Hall on the principles and aims of the order and on Wednesday evening he addressed a large company of men in the same place.  The visit of the two gentlemen has resulted, we understand, in a substantial increase in membership in the local order.

MEDIA MEANDERINGS: Mr. and Mrs. Joe Campbell are the parents of a 10 lb. daughter born Tuesday at noon.  Postmaster Edwin Erickson is quite ill with Grippe at the home of Mrs. Etta Thompson.  Emory Cavins has charge of the post office and Paul Gibson has taken the mail out on the R.F.D.  Quite a number of our people attended the K.K.K. meeting in Stronghurst. 

During the past week a club has been organized and named Nathan Wever Lake Club in honor of the founder of the Wever Media Academy.  Mr. Wever also had much to do with the founding and making of the town.  The club has leased about five acres of the southeast corner of the Academy farm, which adjoins the town on the north and will use it for a park which will be open to the public for picnic parties and tourist camps.  Within this park are two large lakes which are fed by several springs.  These have been named Wever Lakes and will be stocked with fish and used also for swimming, boating, skating and ice.  The whole park is to be electrically lighted.  The park will be open to the public, but the water privileges are private.  Anyone over 16 years of age may become a member of the club by paying the annual membership fee of $5.00 ($68.80 in today’s values).  The place is an ideal spot for a fine park and in time will be one of the beauty spots of the state.  Work was begun on the grounds on Monday.

C. E. Pendarvis bought the old South Prairie M. E. Church which was sold at public auction of $350 (4,802 in today’s values).   The building is to be moved into town, remodeled and fitted up for a gymnasium.  Heavy rains reduced the P.T.A. meeting at the Academy.  Prof. Neil Ausmus attended the Homecoming and football game at Knox College.  The Farmers’ Co-Operative store of which Mr. and Mrs. George Wax are managers, have added a new line of dry goods.  Paul Gibson is the new clerk at Logan’s meat market.  Mr. and Mrs. W. Keith and family and Mr. and Mrs. Victor Worrell and family have moved into the houses on the C. R. Pendarvis farm southeast of town and will run the farm for Mr. Pendarvis.  Mr. and Mrs. D. L. Frye and family and Mr. and Mrs. Dana Burkett who have been living at the farm for some time have gone to Virginia to make their home.  Mrs. Burkett was formerly Miss Helen Frye.  Mr. Homer Griffiths is the new helper at the Santa Fe station.  Mrs. J. E. Lawyer went to Dallas City for dental work.   Remember the chicken pie supper to be given by the ladies of the M. E. Church on Halloween night being held in the building recently vacated by James A. Callow Co.

OLENA OBSERVATIONS: A very quiet wedding ceremony was conducted by Rev. Bastram in the Gladstone parsonage on last Wednesday p.m. when Miss Eva Burrell of Olena was joined in wedlock to Mr. Ralph McIntire of Media, Ill.  They were accompanied by Miss Margery Crow of Olena and Mr. Heap of Media.  They were given a wedding supper by Miss Georgetta Burrell where the young bride has had her home with this aunt the last 18 ½ years and has been carefully and tenderly cared for all those years.  The couple will reside in Media for the winter.  On Saturday afternoon at the home of Miss Burrell a miscellaneous shower was given for Mrs. McIntire and a nice assortment of useful articles presented.  Nice refreshments of sandwiches, pumpkin pie and coffee were served.  A mixed crowd of young and old, male and female, presented their compliments to the newly weds with an old fashioned charivari which probably caused some to duck their heads fearing the town bank was being robbed or the K.K.K. were holding revelry.

Mr. and Mrs. Moore and children of near Burlington, Iowa spent a recent Sabbath at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Carlson of Olena.  Mrs. Moore will be remembered as Miss Fanny Peterson who spent much of her early life in Olena.  Mr. James Hicks of Stronghurst has been busy for several weeks at the Lyman Ross home building feed bunks and a new poultry house.  Mrs. Mattie Hult of Burlington, Ia., has been having so repair work on her property near Olena where Mr. and Mrs. Dagel are tenants on this farm. Miss Georgetta Burrell has had her house reshingled and a new porch built.  Mr. Elmer Carlson, who has for the past several weeks been with a crew working on the hard roads near Chicago, visited his parents.  The bite of a hog has been causing Mr. Charles Lyons quite a bit of suffering in one hand.  Mrs. Charles White, who has been sick so long, does not gain strength-some days are better than others.  Mr. Floyd Burrell has rented the Bert Burrell property in the village and will soon move his family here.  They recently welcomed a new daughter to their home.  Mrs. Coppage returned to her home in Emerson, Iowa after a few weeks visit with Illinois friends.

BIGGSVILLE BRIEFS:: Mr. and Mrs. Stevens left for Dudley, Iowa where he has been sent by the railroad.  Mr. and Mrs. Marion are the happy parents of a nice baby boy born to them recently at the home of the lady’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. Steve Graham.  Mr. and Mrs. Lester Perdue who have been living in the west part of town since early spring moved their household goods to the Will Sanderson place where he will help with the farm work. 

RARITAN REPORTS: Mr. and Mrs. J. Y. Gearhart arrived home after spending several weeks in California.  Mr. Lamphere of Kirkwood gave a very interesting talk on the “Establishing of family altars in the home.”  The Dorcas Society of the Reformed Church will hold a Bazaar and chicken pie supper at the Opera House.  A new corn crib is being built on the Tubbs farm now occupied by Carl Johnson.