The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.
Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross
Stronghurst Graphic, Nov. 22, 1923
***PHILHOWER*** Mrs. J. B. Philhower, a well known and highly respected resident of Raritan, passed away at her home there at the age of 82 years. She was the eldest of a family of eight children born to Mr. and Mrs. Alvin Tharp, who moved to Illinois from Hunterdon County, N. J. when the deceased was a young girl and became pioneer settlers of this section of the state. Of these eight children, Mrs. Philhower was the first to pass to the “Great Beyond.” Those who still remain are Mrs. Malinda Dougherty of Monmouth, Ill.; Mrs. Amanda Gardner of Blandinsville, Ill.; Mrs. Maggie Nevius of Norwood, Okla.; Mrs. Emma Shenck of Raritan Township; Jacob Tharp of Kirkwood, Ill. and George Tharp of Seattle, Wash.
On Oct.7, 1858 she was married at Oquawka, Ill. to J. B. Philhower. They settled shortly afterwards on a farm two miles east of Raritan and a little later, Mr. Philhower became the owner of a fine tract of land adjoining where a home was established which became known as a center of hospitality for miles around. Here the couple spent the greater part of their married life retiring to a home in the village of Raritan a few years ago where Mr. Philhower died shortly afterward. Mrs. Philhower is also survived by one son, Alvah Philhower of Raritan and by four grandchildren. Two daughters, Mrs. Fannie Ward and Mrs. Myrtle VanArsdale and one son, Louis preceded their mother in death. Funeral services were conducted at the Raritan Baptist Church with burial in the Raritan Cemetery.
***SIMPSON***Mrs. L.E.Simpson, who for some years past had been in a precarious state of health, passed away quite suddenly at about 6:30 last Friday morning, Nov. 16th at her home in the east part of Stronghurst. Her death came somewhat as a shock to her friends for the reason that for the past three months she had improved so steadily that hopes were entertained that she might yet be spared to her family for many years. A sudden turn to the worse developed, however, Thursday evening and she grew rapidly worse until the end came at the hour indicated.
Mildred Elizabeth Perry was born in DeWitt, Ark. June 23rd 1875. At the death of her parents, which occurred when she was but a small child, she was taken into the home of her grandparents at Etna, Mo. where she grew to young womanhood. On Nov. 13, 1895 she was united in marriage to L. E. Simpson of Wyaconda, Mo., and to this union six children were born, five of whom survive, namely, Mrs. H. D. Van Tassell of Washington, D. C.; Gilbert, Perry, Clidean and Lawrence Simpson-all of this place. Edna Maude, another daughter, died in infancy.
During her girlhood, Mrs. Simpson joined the Christian Church at Wyaconda and has lived a consistent Christian life since that time.…In addition to her husband the five children mentioned, the deceased is survived by one sister, Mrs. A. Y. Smith of Rocklyn, Wash.; one brother, Robt. McIntyre of Joplin, Mo.; and one aunt, Mrs. Eldelen of Gorin, Mo. Funeral services were conducted at the Christian Church with interment in the local cemetery.
***WEDDING BELLS***COMSTOCK-GUSTAFSON: Miss Laura Myrtle, eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Gustafson of the south country and Mr. Harry Ross Comstock of La Harpe were united in marriage at Burlington, Ia. On Nov. 14th. The bride is a graduate of LaHarpe high School and for a term of years has been a very successful teacher of the schools of Henderson County. She is a young lady of splendid home making qualifications.
***NELSON-LANT***In Kahoka, Mo. was noted the marriage of Mrs. Eva Lant, widow of the late J. B. Lant of this place to Mr. Fred Nelson of Fort Madison, Ia. Mrs. Lant has been a resident of Fort Madison ever since leaving Stronghurst and Mr. Nelson formerly lived in Canada and is a retired business man living in Fort Madison for a year or more.
READY FOR BUSINESS: The charter of the Stronghurst Building and Loan Association has been received and the secretary, Mr. Geo. Chant is ready to receive and give prompt attention to application for shares of stock. Something like 750 of the $100 shares have already been subscribed and it is hoped that the number may shortly be increased to 1,000.
M. W. A. INITIATION: The local Modern Woodmen had an initiation of ten new members followed by an oyster supper. The class of candidates was safely conducted over the road leading to the Arcanum under the direction of Deputy McMullen of Monmouth. Rev. Agee of Monmouth who was present gave a splendid address on the benefits of membership. All present repaired to the NuVon Hotel where a feast of oysters and the usual trimmings were served. About 125 members attended the affair. Music was furnished by an orchestra composed of Mr. and Mrs. Ed Bowen, Roland Davidson, D. Prescott and Manly Staley.
IT IS A NUISANCE: In the County Court of Henderson County the “Turner Club House” located at East Burlington (Gulfport) in this county was judged a common nuisance and ordered closed for one year unless the defendants in the case on or before Nov. 21st should give a bond $5,000 conditioned that no intoxicating liquor of any kind be manufactured, kept or disposed of on the premises.
LOCAL AND AREA NEWS: Everett More was sentenced to 60 days in jail and given a fine of $100 in county court in Rushville on a charge of driving an auto while intoxicated. He was responsible for one of five accidents in one night on the Rushville-Beardstown Road. Hazel Dietz, a 20 year old girl employed in the John Boesch store in Burlington, fell five stories down the freight elevator shaft in the building and died from her injuries while being removed in an ambulance to a hospital. She was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Dan Dietz of West Burlington, Iowa. Miss Ethel Harquist is teaching in Mt. Pleasant and visited home folks. La Harpe ’s new hospital will be dedicated Nov. 26th. Dr. and Mrs. O.R.Gent were at Davenport for the ceremonies in connection with the dedication of the magnificent new Masonic temple there. The parsonage of the M. E. Church at Carthage, Ill. was destroyed by fire involving a loss of $8,000 besides the valuable library, manuscripts and papers of pastor, Rev. Virgil Thompson.
James and Alex Moir of Burlington have disposed of their 2/3 interest in a 1,900 acre tract of land in drainage district No.3 in Henderson County to Leon Lemaire of Burlington for a consideration of $140,000 this amount including $26,000 paid for the personal property on the land. Mr. Lemaire originally owned 1/3 interest in the tract, the whole of which now passes into his possession. Hez Butler has been confined to his home with an attack of shingles. An epidemic of measles is aid to prevail at Kirkwood-some thirty pupils of the grade schools being absent from their classes on account of the malady. Will Allison and his nephew Don Allison of Butler, Mo., arrived here with 200 head of feeding cattle which they hope to dispose of amongst farmers in this vicinity. Scarlet fever at the home of Mr. Rolla Lybarger has caused it to be quarantined; a little daughter of Orin Morris, who lives there, has it too. A. F. Kaiser, Dewain Rezner, Harold McMillan, Ed Logan and Walter Nolan formed an auto party which attended the Murad Grotto’s ceremonial in Burlington; they enjoyed a sumptuous repast at the Masonic temple during the evening. Last Sunday was the 46th wedding anniversary of Mr. and Mrs. B. L. Mudd and the children were all home to help them celebrate bringing with them baskets filled with good “eats.”