The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

The 1923 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross

Stronghurst Graphic Aug. 23, 1923

OLENA HOMECOMING:  The annual Home-Coming picnic was held in the village on Aug. 18th and was a great success. The forenoon was taken over by the United Presbyterian congregation who formerly owned this property and worshipped here many years and was a very strong, useful and helpful congregation.  Rev. Mahaffey of Stronghurst gave quite an interesting talk and cracked a few jokes on some of the old timers of the congregation which caused some merriment.  Psalm singing by the audience was a pleasurable feature of this service.  This was immediately followed by a fine chicken dinner which the ladies of Olena know so well how to prepare and judging from the amount of the food consumed, was greatly enjoyed  and the tired, over worked “Martha’s” seemed amply rewarded by the fine compliments they received on the menu and service.  After dinner the renewal of old acquaintances, the hearty hand claps and the getting together was such a happy event that it will linger in memory for many days to come.  There were many field sports and stunt pulled off that caused much merriment.  The kiddies enjoyed a summer Xmas tree, only it did not last long enough.  The young people had a booth with a variety of articles for sale.  Three rugs donated by the Penney Company of Burlington were disposed of by numbers.  The stand committee composed of Joel Marsden, Arthur Dowell, Ed Carlson and Harvey Lant was truly doing a land office business throughout the day and one of these gentlemen was so enthused and waxed so eloquent that his mother asked him where he was keeping his “jug.”  Two angel food cakes donated by Mrs. Wm Brown and Mrs. Dixson were auctioned off.  The roads and weather were ideal which helped to swell the crowd.  All enjoyed it so much that they will be looking forward for are renewal of this Home-Coming in 1924.

MEDIA COUPLE WED: Miss Opal Wolfe and Mr. Ben Horrell, two of the popular young people, stole a march on their many friends and hied themselves to Biggsville M.E. Parsonage Saturday and were united in marriage at high noon by the pastor, Rev. E. B.Morton.  They returned immediately to the home of the bride’s mother, Mrs. Lind Wolfe, where a wedding dinner was awaiting them.  The bride is the youngest daughter of Mrs. Wolfe and has grown to womanhood in this community.  She is a graduate of the Wever Academy and has been a successful teacher of the county and is employed to teach near Burlington in Henderson County this year.  She has musical talent for both vocal and instrumental music and for a number of years was postmistress of the village.  The groom has been a resident of the town for a couple of years and has made many friends since coming among us.  He is a member of the high school senior class and has won many laurels for himself and school among which was first place in the county track meet the past two years in the 220 hurdle race, breaking his own record this year.  He also won first place in hurdles at the meet in LaHarpe a year ago.  He was a member and one of the best players of the basketball team.  Ben is worthy of much praise for his perseverance along educational lines as he was left an orphan at an early age and has had his own way to make through school.  He is a young man of good moral habits and worthy of the young lady he has won for his wife.  The happy couple left Saturday evening for Burlington where they remained until Sabbath when they, in company with her mother and Mr. and Mrs. Olin Palmer and family, departed for a week’s visit with relatives at Bynumville, Mo.

MEDIA MEANDERINGS: Mr. and Mrs. Victor Worrell are rejoicing over the arrival of a nine pound son Monday night who has been given the name of Ralph George.  Mrs. Worrell was formerly Miss Olive Admire.  Quite a number of our people are in attendance at the Farm Bureau Picnic at Weir’s Grove today.  Among those going were Ralph McIntire, Joe McVey, David Gilliland, LaVern, Dan and Chas. Stanberry, T.B. Palmer, Scott White, Mesdames George Hickman, H.L. Meyers and Chas. Gibson.  Dr. Rankin and family of Kirkwood are residents of the town and are nicely domiciled in the James A. Callow residence.  The Dr. will have a drug store and his office in the building owned by N.J.Gram.  Mr. and Mrs. Jno. Pogue are the possessor of a fine new Buick.  They returned just recently from a trip to Colorado, Yellowstone Park, Montana and Canada and stopped enroute to visit with friends in Kansas.  They made the trip in their car and were accompanied by Mr. and Mrs. Foote of near Colchester, Ill.  Rev. R.J Kyle is loading his car of household goods and he and Mrs. Kyle leave in their Ford tonight for their future home in Cedarville, Ohio. 

BIGGSVILLE BRIEFS: Miss Jessie Claybaugh of this place and Mrs. John Crozett of Kirkwood left for a visit with her sister, Mrs. Chas. Buttgen and family at Crandon, Wis.  John Roy, eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. Roy Cochran, is confined to his bed with a nervous condition.  Mrs. George Kelly entertained with a picnic in the park in honor of her niece, Miss Nell Wilkins of Omaha who is a traveling service observing inspector for the Bell Telephone Co.  Plans are being completed for the annual Harvest Home Picnic to be held on Aug. 30th and 31st.  Congressman W.J. Graham of Aledo will speak the first day and congressman Rathbone of Chicago will be the second day speaker.  The Orchard City Band will be on hand and furnish the music. The Stevenson families held their annual picnic at Crapo Park with more that 50 attending.  

AUTO ACCIDENT ON KIRKWOOD ROAD: Mrs. Edgar Bergren and baby and Mrs. Blanch Henderson were badly shaken and bruised up last Thursday when they figured in an automobile accident while on the road to Kirkwood to spend the afternoon with relatives.  Mrs. Bergren who was driving and reached for a lap robe to put over the little one with one hand on the wheel and did not notice her car which had left the road and had mounted a bank. It turned over before she could right it.  Help was soon at hand and they were taken out of the car and into the Wm. Wiegand home near where the accident happened.  Mrs. Henderson was severely cut under the eye and down over the cheek by the glass in the door.  This required several stitches to be taken.  Mrs. Bergren had a cut on her forehead but was not so bad and the little one was unhurt.