The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

The 1923 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross

Stronghurst Graphic Nov. 30, 1923

MASS MEETING AT LYRIC: An opportunity to hear the proposed new constitution of Illinois discussed by one who is thoroughly familiar with its provisions will be given to the people of this community next Tuesday evening when Hon. Phillip E. Eltinge of Macomb will speak at the Lyric Theatre upon the new organic basis of government for our state which was hammered out after two years of labor and deliberation by the one hundred and two delegates elected for that purpose in the year 1919. . . Many people no doubt feel that they are not mentally qualified for an understanding of the phraseology of the proposed constitution and therefore are inclined to pass the matter by and leave the question of acceptance or rejection to others. As a matter of fact, the proposed new constitution as well as the present one, is written in comparatively plain and simple language and the meaning and import of its various provisions easily within the comprehension of every person of ordinary intelligence...Every citizen should consider it both a duty and a privilege to become informed as to what basic ideas and principle are offered...

HERO RECEIVES MEDAL: Sterling Morelock of Henderson County is now rated among the bravest of the brave of his country highest honors for gallantry in action having been bestowed upon him yesterday afternoon at a fitting military ceremony. The awarding of the Congressional Medal of Honor took place Sunday afternoon at the west entrance of the public square before a crowd of several hundred persons, citizens of Warren and Henderson Counties.

Long before the hour of the ceremony, the crowd started assembling and when three o'clock came all places of vantage were taken. All around the edge of the big enclosure there was a solid wall of humanity and when Major Bereth awarded the Medal of Honor to Morelock deafening applause broke forth.

Shortly after 3 o'clock the first battalion of the 123 F.A., consisting of Battery B, the Combat Train and a detail from Battery A of Galesburg entered the enclosure. The troops were deployed into a line facing the west entrance of the square where Major Bereth and his aid, Lieut. Ahlstrand, were waiting. Presentation of the medal was read to the battalion by Captain Hardin, adjutant to the major. Three outfits were then called to attention, guidons were dropped and the medal was presented by the major.

The battalion then passed in review and after the troops had left the enclosure, citizens rushed to congratulate Morelock. Owing to his physical condition he was not permitted to stand long in the open, being taken back to the armory in the official car of Major Bereth.

Morelock took the honor bestowed upon him yesterday as a matter of course. To an Atlas reporter he stated that a man cannot be held accountable for what he does in battle.

"There is so much danger that no job seems worse than any other," he stated. "Some time ago I received notice that the medal had been awarded, but I thought they had me mixed up with some other soldier by the same name. The work of getting the medal for me was done by my commanding officers who did not inform me as to what they were doing. I am sorry that Lieutenant Lawton could not be here, but from what I know of the injuries he received, he must be in bad condition physically now. I certainly appreciate the medal and will treasure it as long as I live."

RAILROAD CASE SETTLED: Attorney O. C. Kirkpatrick of Dallas City was in Stronghurst on his way home from Oquawka where he settled the claim of William Atwell estate against the Santa Fe Railway Co. Mr. Atwell will be remembered was killed by a train on the high bridge east of Media Sept. 6th while on guard duty during the strike. Mr. Kirkpatrick was employed by the widow and the case was settled in county court on payment of $1,000 ($13,720 in today's values).

MEDIA MEANDERINGS: The annual Thank Offering service of the Ladies Missionary Society of the U. P. Church was held Sabbath morning. The pastor, Rev. Kyle, delivered the sermon. The choir had prepared two beautiful anthems and Misses Gertrude Gibb and Francis Anderson sang a duet. A revival will begin next Sabbath and continue for two weeks at least. Mrs. Florence Mathers had electric lights installed in her residence. The first basketball game of the season will be with Kirkwood. Bennie Heap, a student at Monmouth College, spent the Sabbath with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. James Heap. Cupid seems to be shooting his arrows broadcast among our young people the past few weeks and wedding bells again chimed on Nov. 22nd when Miss Gladys Josephine Mathers and Mr. Gail Gerald Heap, whose courtship began when they were scarcely more than children. It ended as they stood before Rev. Ralph Wakefield, pastor of the First M. E. Church of Galesburg and took upon themselves the holy vows which bound them for life. This wedding, although a long looked for event, came as a complete surprise to the many friends and relatives of this most excellent and popular couple. The bride is the only daughter of Mrs. Florence Mathers and practically her whole life has been spent among us. She attended and graduated from our grade school and high school and last year took post graduate work at the high school. She is an earnest and faithful worker in the M. E. Church of which is a member.

The groom is the third son of Mr. and Mrs. J. B. Heap, a young man of excellent habits and worthy of the bride he was won. During the world war he served his country overseas. He is engaged with his father and brothers in farming a large tract of land north of town. They will reside with the bride's mother.

Saturday evening a company of their friends, both young and old, turned out and treated them to an old fashioned charivari. The entire company was invited into the home by the groom where the bride was ready with a large dish of choice candy.

OBITUARY: LESLIE LYONS-Rufus Leslie Lyons passed away at his home near Olena, Ill. Nov. 27th at 12:45 p.m., aged 38 years, 10 months and 22 days. The deceased had been bedfast for over a year during which time he suffered considerable. He leaves a wife, two children besides other relatives to mourn his passing. Funeral services were held at the Olena M. E. Church with interment made in the Stronghurst Mausoleum.

RARITAN REPORTS: A number from this community are attending the Shurtz trial in Burlington. Alvin Thomas moved his family to his father's farm; his father moved to Monmouth. Mrs. Frank Voorhees was the purchaser of the Louis Hock property which was sold to the highest bidder at Oquawka. Mrs. Lulu McIntyre of Kansas City returned to her home after visiting her parents, Mr. and Mrs. C.S. Cooper. Elbert Calhoun of Lockridge, Iowa came to assist his uncle, Amos Cavins with the corn picking.

LOMAX LINGERINGS: Adam Foggy and a carpenter of New London, Iowa spend Thursday remodeling Mr. Foggy's cribs. Lewis Eckhardt, Jr. is doing quite a lot of foundation and walk concrete work for J. H. Farren of the south country. S. F. Tannus was in Peoria where he was transacting business at the Federal office. The Pioneer Lumber Co. is invoicing their local yard. There was no preaching at either churches morning or evening Sunday. A considerable amount of gravel has been hauled in the low places of the streets and dirt in the larger ones which make a very marked improvement. Mrs. Charlotte Wyatt is at home in her beautiful new home which will meet the most critical eye. A housewarming by some 20 of her club friends surprised her.