The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.
West Central Board Discusses Vision Action Team Committees
At the October 18th meeting of the West Central School Board the established Vision Action Team Committees was discussed. They are as follows: 1) Make West Central a Destination School, 2) Life Skills, Real World, and Vocational Training, and 3) Mental Health.
Mrs. Arnold and Mr. Anderson will serve on the Make West Central a Destination School Action Team. Mr. Spence and Mrs. Bigger will serve on the Life Skills, Real World, and Vocational Training Action Team. Mr. Lumbeck and Mr. Lenahan will serve on the Mental Health Action Team.
The meeting was called to order at 6:00 p.m.in the West Central Elementary School cafeteria by Board President Paul Anderson. All board members were present at roll call except Steve Lumbeck. Board member Lumbeck arrived at 6:56 p.m.
President Anderson led the audience in the Pledge of Allegiance.
Under Good News Items the following items were highlighted:
- During the month of November, WRAM/WMOI will be featuring WCMS as their School Spotlight. They will be interviewing Mrs. Burns' live on the radio during the last week of October to talk about the terrific staff and parents. They will then make commercials featuring information about the middle school that will air throughout the month of November.
- The early childhood team hosted a parent night on October 5. They had 26 families attend, and they recruited several volunteers to join their newly established Parent Advisory Council.
- The West Central Education Foundation continues to support our teachers by awarding grant money to be used for special projects within the classroom. Fundraising opportunities can be found on the school's website.
- Freeman Shoemaker is the Lincoln Trail Conference Cross Country Champion.
- The West Central High School volleyball team took first place at the Bushnell Tournament.
- Board Member Anderson acknowledged the football team and their coaches on their win over Mercer County. This is the first win over Mercer County in the history of West Central.
- Applications for the Superintendent Student Advisory Council and Student Representative to the Board of Education have been made available to all 9-12 grade students and are due to the District office by 3:00 p.m. on October 30, 2017.
The board approved the meeting agenda as presented.
The board approved the Consent Agenda. Items approved under the Consent Agenda included the following:
- The minutes of the September 27, 2017 FY18 District Budget Hearing
- The minutes of the September 27, 2017, Regular Meeting and Closed Session
- The September 2017 bills, September 2017 building Activity Account Reports, the September 2017 Treasurer's Report, and review of the District Financial Report.
The board approved the FY17 District audit report as presented. West Central C.U.S.D. #235 received a Total Profile Score of 4.00 out of 4.00 and a Financial Profile Designation of RECOGNITION. They thanked the District office staff Nancy Clark, Shelly Nelson, and Jaime Shultz for their outstanding work to ensure accurate record keeping.
The board approved the Architects Annual Inspection Report for district owned temporary buildings as presented.
The board approved a FBLA trip to the National Fall Leadership Conference to St. Louis, MO on November 10-12, 2017 as presented.
The board reviewed and heard reports from the building principals as well as a Technology Report from Mrs. Frakes, a report from our District Psychologist and Special Education Director, Shaila Ayer, and a report from Jason Kirby, our Athletic Director.
The following items were noted:
- West Central Elementary hosted Muffins with Mom on October 13, 2017. They had 123 families attend the event, and the exit slips were very positive! They did some STEM activities with those who participated. A lot of hard work and planning goes into making this event successful! Congratulations was given to the elementary team for a job well done.
- The 3rd Annual West Central Middle School Glow Run will be Thursday, November 2, 2017. Registration begins at 5:00 p.m., and race time starts at 6:00 p.m. T-shirts will be available for those who register by Friday, October 20, 2017. The registration fee is $10 for K-12 and $15 for adults.
- The West Central Veterans' Day Program will be Friday, November 10, 2017 at 9:30 a.m.
- West Central High School juniors took the Pre-PSAT assessment on Wednesday, October 13, 2017. This assessment was offered to our school free and will provide data to assist staff in curriculum and instructional modifications.
The board heard an update from Mrs. Markey with regard to the Media facility.
The board will participate in the Illinois Association of School Boards training on Monday, November 6, 2017, 5:00 - 9:00 p.m. at the West Central north campus.
Superintendent Markey is beginning the process of creating/updating job descriptions to present to the board for approval. She presented them with a sample job description to get feedback. All job descriptions will be reviewed. A few will be presented at each meeting.
The board entered closed session at 6:45 p.m. to discuss matters related to student discipline and personnel. The board exited closed session at 7:42 p.m.
The board took the following action in regards to personnel:
- employed Karen Furnald as a District Cook to be assigned to the middle school pending all pre-employment requirements,
- employed Reid Kelso as a Homebound Tutor,
- accepted the resignation of Jonathan Slover as 6th Grade Girls' Basketball Coach with thanks for his service,
- employed Jackson Kane as the 6th Grade Girls' Basketball Coach,
- employed Tom Williams as the 6th Grade Boys' Basketball Coach,
- employed Jackson Kane as the WCHS Assistant Boys' Basketball Coach,
- approved Matt Beverly as a WCHS Volunteer Assistant Boys' Basketball Coach, and
- approved Scott Swiler as a WCHS Volunteer Assistant Boys' Basketball Coach.
The Board was reminded that the next regularly scheduled meeting will be Tuesday, November 14, 2017 at 6:00 p.m. in the West Central Elementary cafeteria. There will be a Special Board Meeting on November 6, 2017 at 5:00 p.m. for the purpose of conducting IASB Board training.
There being no other business to come before the Board, the Board adjourned their meeting at 7:44 p.m.