The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

Biggsville Sets Halloween Activities

Halloween will be October 31, 2017. There will be a wiener roast at the ballpark from five (5) to six (6) p.m. and trick or treating will be from six (6) to eight (8) p.m. If you want to participate please leave your porch light on if you do not want to participate please leave it off.

Diane made a motion we purchase reflector signs to be put up at Worthy Acres, West Street, Valley Street, and on 94 both North and South entrances asking people to be aware of the trick or treaters and to slow down. Kevin 2nd, motion carried.

The October meeting if the Village of Biggsville was called to order by Mayor Brian Sterett at 7:00 p.m. with the Pledge of Allegiance.

Members present were: Kathie Curtiss, Richard Goff, Diane Gonzalez, Kevin Mortimer, Brian Sterett and Nanci Sterett.

Other present were: Marilyn Simmons, Treasurer; Judy Gravgaard, Clerk and James Rogers.

Open Forum:

Dan Gibb asked if we could have copies of the minutes available at the meeting. Brian said we would have agendas and meeting minutes available at all meetings.

We have a CD due at this time. Brian suggested we just roll it over. It is on a six (6) month renewal. Nanci made a motion to accept the September minutes, bills and treasurer report. Kevin 2nd, motion carried.

Jimmy reported that our truck needed a new oil pan. He looked at a new snow plow and got one estimate of over six thousand dollars. He is going to contact other dealers and get some other quotes. He reported we have around 15 ton of road salt. We don't need to purchase any at this time.

Dick has issued one permit.

Bill Ewing gave us three different quotes for a sign to be put on the new 34 highway. At the next meeting we will have pictures and quotes from different companies to consider.

Jodi Bishop will be in charge of the wiener roast for Halloween. Jodi was thanked. Repairs have been make at Reid Park restrooms. There is a tree that is interfering with the electric lines at Reid Park. Kathy made a motion we take the tree down by the restrooms. Kevin 2nd, motion carried.

Dick will contact Midwest Tree Service and have them remove the tree. It will cost approximately $300.00.

Old Business:

We are still in need of a part time maintenance person. If anyone is interested please leave a message at the community building (309) 627-2210.

Jimmy will contact Brian and they will take down the shelter at the ballpark before it falls down. Brian will take measurements of the lagoon roof and see what it would cost to replace it.

Before they can fix the concrete at Reid Park we need to remove a bench on the wall. They will contact Dick when they are able to come and pour the cement. There needs to be a new lock at the lagoon.

We will be getting some estimates on the plumbing for the work on the handicapped bathrooms at the Community Building.

We have the paint and stencil donated for the handicapped space on Main Street. We will get that painted as soon as possible.

New Business:

There are two or three dead trees at the ballpark. Brian will contact the extension service and see if there is someone who can come and look at the trees to see if they can be saved or need to be taken down.

Jodi Bishop has shown interest in the Heritage Trail Parade and had some ideas of things we could do. If anyone else is interested in helping for next year you can contact the Community Building (309) 627-2210. We will have a meeting for those interested at a later date.

Ashley DeMent is the new leader of the Girl Scout troop and would like to have her meetings at the Community Building. They would meet the first and third Thursday evening at six (6). The door will be unlocked for them. Dick made a motion we allow the Girl Scout Troop to use the building Nanci 2nd, motion carried. Meeting was adjourned at 8:35 p.m.

Judy L. Gravgaard-Clerk