The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.
Four Students Vie As Representative To The WC Board
Superintendent Paula Markey informed the board November 14th, in regular session, that there were four applicants to Student Representative to the Board of Education.
The board will interview all four individually on Friday, December 8, beginning at 5:00 p.m.
During Tuesday's regular board meeting of the West Central C.U.S.D. #235 Board of Education, the following items took place after it was called to order at 6:00 p.m. by Board President Paul Anderson:
All board members except Mindy Clark and Mike Lenahan answered present at roll call. President Anderson led the audience in the Pledge of Allegiance.
Under Good News Items the following items were highlighted:
- Several members of the middle school Speech team performed their speeches for the board.
- West Central Elementary School hosted our annual Donuts with Dad event where 107 families participated in Kitchen Chemistry experiments.
- WCES participated in Red Ribbon Week activities designed to raise awareness of the harmful effects caused by drugs. This event ended with a theme of "Your Future is Key-Stay Drug Free" where the students dressed up to represent their career choice. We were amazed at the number of "teachers" in the building.
- Natalie Ensminger, WCMS English teacher, is the WRAM/WMOI Teacher of the Month for the month of November.
- Members of the Biggsville Legion Post participated in the high school morning announcements by leading the students in the Pledge of Allegiance. Some of the veterans stayed to eat lunch with the students and to share their experiences.
- The Early Childhood team hosted a Family Night where they read stories and conducted science experiments. Over 50 families attended the event.
- The West Central Middle School Veterans Day program was very successful.
- The West Central Middle School Glow Run raised over $1300 with 100+ registrants.
- The FFA Ag Sales team Nicholas Brokaw, Colyn Crane, Keaten Blevins and Heidi Ford placed 2nd at Sections and qualified to compete at the District #1 level.
- Thirteen 3rd and 4th grade boys participating in the parent sponsored basketball program.
- Three West Central High School football players were named to the LTC Football Team: On 1st Team Offense-Brock Bigger; 2nd Team Offense- Luke Ditsworth, and Jensen Bowman.
- West Central High School volleyball players named to the LTC Volleyball Team were: 2nd Team-Danyel McKune; Honorable Mention-Corinne Booton
- West Central High School volleyball players named to the LTC Volleyball All Academic: Tori Olson, Corinne Booton, Teressa Hartman, Breann Vancil, Brooke Peterson, Megan McIntire, Sadie Lenz, Mady Reed, Megan Schaley.
In other business the board:
- approved President Paul Anderson as the presiding officer in a Student Disciplinary Hearing.
- entered Closed Session at 6:26 p.m. to discuss matters pertaining to student discipline. The board exited closed session at 6:56 p.m.
- found Student #23081 to have engaged in an activity that interfered with, disrupted, and adversely affected the school environment and school operations and upheld the discipline and disciplinary letter; however, offered the opportunity for the student/parents to write a rebuttal letter to attach to the disciplinary letter in the students file.
- approved the meeting agenda with the following additions:
- XVII. A-1. Resignation: Grace Simpson, Long-term Substitute
- XIV. E. Addition to the Life/Safety Amendment Discussion: Phone System
- approved consent agenda included the following items: minutes of the October 18, 2017, Regular Meeting and Closed Session; minutes of the November 6, 2017, Special Meeting and Closed Session; October 2017 bills, October 2017 building Activity Account Reports, the October 2017 Treasurer's Report, and review of the District Financial Report.
- approved offering a SAT Prep class 2nd semester at WCHS as presented.
- approved the Tentative 2017 Tax Levy as presented which calls for an extension amount of $5,397,963 which is an increase over the 2016 levy extension amount of 4.99%. Tentative 2017 Tax Levy is on display in the District Office. The board will vote to approve the final 2017 Tax Levy at the December 13, 2017, board meeting.
- approved the 2017 District and School Report Cards as presented. They will now be put on display on our district website.
- approved a Life/Safety Amendment for the north campus sanitary sewer line as presented.
- approved the Senior class trip to Indiana Dunes, Charleston, IN.
- approved 6th grade field trip to National Mississippi River Museum and Aquarium in Dubuqe, IA
- approved service agreement for Water Management Program
- reviewed and heard reports from the building principals and technology report from Mrs. Frakes and report from Jason Kirby Athletic Director. Mrs. Lafary thanked the board for the security cameras as they have been very helpful.
- Tabled discussion regarding job descriptions.
- Superintendent Markey distributed information packets about the Annual IASB, IASA, IASBO Joint Conference in Chicago to board members Anderson and Spence and reviewed the contents of the packet with them.
- Reviewed the Board Agreements and Next Steps for Board Improvement that were developed as a result of the board's recent participation in the IASB Starting Right: Team Relations Workshop during the November 6, 2017 Special Board meeting. Superintendent Markey will ask the board to approve these two documents at the December 13 regular meeting.
- discussed life/safety work in the District that needs to be completed includes: Site lighting at the north and south campuses, gym lighting at the elementary and middle school, removal of the three large trees in the high school courtyard, elementary restroom work, and replacement of the elementary drinking fountains in Hallways A & B.
The board entered closed session at 9:14 p.m. to discuss matters related to the appointment, employment, compensation, discipline, performance, or dismissal of specific employees of the public body or legal counsel for the public body, including hearing testimony on a complaint lodged against an employee of the public body or against legal counsel for the public body to determine its validity; collective negotiating matters between the District and its employees or their representatives, or deliberation concerning salary schedules for one or more classes of employees; and student discipline. The board exited closed session at 10:08 p.m.
The board took the following action in regards to personnel:
- accepted the resignation of Grace Simpson as a long-term substitute with thanks for her service,
- employed Tiffany Ouellette as a WCHS English teacher pending all pre-employment requirements,
- employed Rachael Allaman as a long-term substitute for 2nd semester of the 2017-2018 school year,
- employed Samantha Kimmey as a SAT Prep Course Instructor for the 2017-18 school year,
- employed Ryan Muegge as a SAT Prep Course Instructor for the 2017-18 school year,
- employed Christina Ryba, as a WCMS Scholastic Bowl Coach for the 2017-18 school year, and
- employed Teresa Stevenson as a WCMS Scholastic Bowl Coach for the 2017-18 school year.
The board was reminded of the next regular scheduled meeting Wednesday, December 13, at 6:00 p.m. in the West Central Elementary cafeteria.
There being no other business to come before the board, the board adjourned at 10:09 p.m.