The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

Village Board Votes To Amend Liquor Ordinance

By: Shirley Linder, Quill Editor

At a special Village of Stronghurst board meeting held on Wednesday, May 17th, the board voted unanimously to amend the current liquor ordinance from just selling package liquor to being able to sell drinks.

This has now been turned over the liquor committee of the board, consisting of Bruce Caldwell, chairman, Jerry Nortrup and David Vancil, to work out the details as to how they want the ordinance to read. Then the village attorney Bill Rasmussen will draw up an ordinance for the board to pass.

This occurred following an open town hall meeting, called by the village board, on Thursday, May 11th, where 60 community members signed in to voice their opinions and ask questions regarding Chase Gibb opening a bar and grill in Stronghurst.

Gibb, owner of The Buffalo, in Burlington, IA, is interested in purchasing the Broadway Caf, which closed, May 23rd, but stated the only way he could make a go of it was being able to sell liquor. Gibb stated 60% of his business is food and the other 40% alcohol.

He hopes to have it opened by September of this year, depending on the remodeling.