The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.
West Central School Board
On Wednesday, June 21, 2017, the regular board meeting of the West Central C.U.S.D. #235 Board of Education, meeting was called to order at 6:00 p.m.in the West Central North campus library by Board President Paul Anderson.
All board members with the exception of Lonnie Brent and Mike Lenahan were present at roll call. Mike Lenahan arrived at 6:19 p.m.
President Anderson led the audience in the Pledge of Allegiance.
Under Good News Items the following items were highlighted:
- Heidi Ford and Alex Vancil were selected to participate in the FFA Hertiage/Co-Op Tour.
- Harrison Fisher finished in second place at the State Special Olympics Summer Games. He ran the 1500 m and was only four seconds behind the first place finisher.
- Kamryn Endress was recognized as a Top 10 Chapter President in the State of Illinois, and she received her Illinois State FFA Degree.
- Heidi Ford was a Silver Award recipient in the New Digital Scrapbook Contest at the state level.
- Five Greenhand FFA members competed in the first ever Greenhand Quiz Bowl Contest, and they made it through two rounds. Members were Brooke Waterhouse, Courtney Torrance, Peyton Jack, Ryan Lumbeck, and Collin Hennenfent.
- The FFA Chapter received a Silver Rating for our Program of Activities with that winning the Growing Leaders Division.
- The FFA Chapter won a Chapter Sweepstakes and Century Challenge Award. The chapter was 5th in the State of Illinois in the Harvest for All Campaign for the work they do in giving back to the community.
- Madison Benge was named to the 2017 Class 1A Illinois Coaches Association All-State Team - 1st Team.
The agenda was approved with one additional item added: Item XIII.A.2 - Amy Freitag, WCHS Spanish Teacher
There were no comments from the public.
The board approved the Consent Agenda. Items approved under the Consent Agenda included the following:
- the minutes of the May 22, 2017 Regular Meeting and Closed Session and the minutes of June 12, 2017 Special Meeting and Closed Session,
- the May 2017 bills, May 2017 building Activity Account Reports, the May 2017 Treasurer's Report, and review of the District Financial Snapshot,
- the June 2017, Prevailing Wage Resolution and Wage Rates,
- milk and bread bids,
- the use of the Bank of Stronghurst for the WCES, WCMS and WCHS Activity Accounts,
- the continued use of Precision Photo Imaging as the School Photographer,
- the agreement with McDonough District Hospital for the Student Random Drug Testing Program for 2017-2018 school year, and
- the contract for Professional Services for Sewer Plant Operator with Larry Lawson.
In other business the board:
- approved the 2017-2018 WCES, WCMS, and WCHS Handbooks as presented.
- approved the District Title I plan as presented.
- waived the first reading on Policy 5:120 - Employee Ethics, Conduct, and Conflict of Interest and approved it. The following policies were placed on First Reading 2:100 - Board Member Conflict of Interest, 3:70 - Succession of Authority, 4:15 - Identity Protection, 4:130-E - Free and Reduced-Price Food Services, Meal Charge Notifications, 4:180 - Pandemic Preparedness, 5:70 - Religious Holidays, 5:80 - Court Duty, 5:110 - Recognition for Service, 5:140 - Solicitations By or From Staff, 5:210 - Resignations, 5:230 - Maintaining Student Discipline, 5:285 - Drug and Alcohol Testing for School Bus and Commercial Vehicle Drivers, 5:300 - Schedules and Employment Year, 5:320 - Evaluation, 6:70 - Teaching About Religions, 6:185 - Remote Educational Program, and 7:100 - Health, Eye, and Dental Examinations; Immunization; and Exclusion of Students.
- discussed hosting the back to school lunch for teachers again on August 16, 2017. The Board agreed to host this luncheon.
- discussed the current fundraising policy and concerns with outside groups fundraising on behalf of a particular class without permission.
- heard from the District Architect regarding the recent storm damage at Media.
- heard a proposal from FFA alumni, parents, and students regarding modifications to the current agriculture classroom.
- heard a request from the West Central High School Athletic Boosters to take possession of pre-consolidation items.
The Board entered closed session at 8:38 p.m. to discuss matters related to personnel and contract. The board exited closed session at 9:33 p.m.
The board took the following action in regard to personnel:
- approved a maternity leave request from Jaime Hennings
- accepted the resignation of Amy Freitag as the WCHS Spanish Teacher
- approved the employment of Eric Gardiner as a WCHS English Teacher
- approved the employment of Taylor Tucker
- accepted the resignation of Julie Nutt as WCHS Art Club Sponsor
- approved the employment of Kurt VanHorn as the WCHS Girls' Head Basketball Coach
- approved the employment of Joseph Hess-Haughey as the WCHS Girls' Assistant Basketball Coach
- approved the employment of Amy Ford as the WCHS 8th Grade Girls' Basketball Coach
- approved the employment of Leigh Erlandson as the WCHS Art Club Sponsor
- approved the employment of Leigh Erlandson as a WCHS Freshmen Class Sponsor
- approved the employment of Michael Holloran as a WCHS Freshmen Class Sponsor
- approved the employment of Samantha Kimmey as a WCHS Junior Class Sponsor
- approved the employment of Karen Gall as a WCHS Senior Class Sponsor
- approved the employment of Jane Alexander as a WCHS Senior Class Sponsor
- approved the Extra Curricular Duty List for 2017-2018
- approved the Exempt Staff Salaries for 2017-2018
- approved the administrative contract for Benjamin Rees
- approved the administrative contract for Jason Kirby
- approved the administrative contract for Julia Burns
- approved the administrative contract for Kathy Lafary
- approved the administrative contract for Kimberly Harrison, and
- approved the administrative contract for Shaila Ayer
The next regularly scheduled meeting has been rescheduled for Tuesday, July 11, 2017 at 6:00 p.m. in the West Central North Campus Library.
There being no other business to come before the board, the board adjourned their meeting at 9:46 p.m.