The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.
West Central Approves The Sale Of Property
The West Central School Board approved a Resolution Authorizing the Sale of School Personal Property which includes two modular buildings at the north campus, during their regular meeting on February 15th.
The meeting was called to order at 6:00 p.m. in the West Central Elementary School cafeteria by Board President Lonnie Brent. All board members were present except Jodi Arnold.
President Brent led the audience in the Pledge of Allegiance.
Under Good News Items the following items were highlighted:
- The board recognized the following Illinois State Scholars: Grace Brent, Kamryn Endress, Katherine Droste, Ashley Gyovai, Alisha Smothers, and Madison Benge.
- The board viewed a video about West Central C.U.S.D. #235 that was sent to the Governor.
- West Central Elementary hosted their annual Pastries with Parents event, which focused on STEM activities for the students in Grades 3-5, with over 90 families participating.
- BLOCK Fest, a family interactive event that uses five block stations to introduce children and their parents to the educational value of blocks, was offered to the early childhood students on January 24. There was a large crowd who built towers, bridges, and towns out of various kinds of blocks.
- The kindergarten has collected and counted 10,000 pennies, which will be donated to the Henderson County Library for materials in the children's section of the library.
- Mr. Buss complimented Mr. Rees on the Curriculum Guide on the website.
Items approved under the consent agenda included the following:
- The minutes of the January 18, 2017, regular meeting and closed session
- The January 2017 bills, January 2017 building activity account reports, the January 2017 treasurer's report, and review of the district financial report.
The board approved the 2016-2017 District Seniority List for Certified and Support Personnel as presented.
The board approved the following proposed board policy revisions on Second Reading as presented:
- Policy 6:300-Graduation Requirements
- Policy 7:150-Agency & Police Interviews
- Policy 7:190-Student Behavior
- Policy 7:200-Suspension Procedures
- Policy 7:210-Expulsion Procedures
- Policy 7:220-Bus Conduct
- Policy 7:230-Misconduct by Students with Disabilities
- Policy 7:240-Conduct Code for Participants in Extra-curricular Activities
- Policy 7:305 - Student Athlete Concussions and Head Injuries
In other business the board:
- approved the requested revisions to the Julie Burdette Memorial Scholarship as presented.
- declared a snow blower surplus.
- reviewed and heard reports from the building principals; Jason Kirby, Athletic Director; Melinda Frakes, District Technology Coordinator; and Shaila Ayer, District Psychologist and Special Education Director.
- Mrs. Lafary reported that Buzz from the Burlington Bees visited the elementary on Wednesday to promote the reading incentive program.
- Mr. Pilger expressed his satisfaction and praised Mr. Frank's class for taking a shelf from the computer lab and making it into a bench for the elementary.
- Mrs. Burns announced that the Henderson County Spelling Bee would be Thursday, February 23, 2017. Connor Bailey and Devon Duffie will be representing West Central C.U.S.D. #235.
- Superintendent Markey reviewed the proposed 2017-2018 school district calendar with the board.
- Superintendent Markey provided the board with information about mandated reporting and reminded them that they are mandated reporters.
The board entered closed session at 6:52 p.m. to discuss matters related to personnel, compensation, superintendent evaluation and contract. The board exited closed session at 7:50 p.m.
The board took the following action in regards to personnel:
- accepted the resignation of Jonathan Steben as the District Instrumental Music Teacher,
- employed Grace Simpson as a long-term substitute at WCHS,
- approved raising the regular route bus driver pay to $75.00 per day per driver effective February 1, 2017, and
- approved the resolution to release board meeting closed session minutes as per Exhibit A and Exhibit B as presented.
A reminder was given that the next regularly scheduled meeting will be Wednesday, March 15, 2017 at 6:00 p.m. in the West Central Elementary cafeteria.
There being no other business to come before the board, the board adjourned their meeting at 7:55 p.m.