The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.
West Central To Sell Media Property
At the Wednesday, December 13, 2017, regular board meeting of the West Central C.U.S.D. #235 Board of Education, the board discussed selling the facility in Media and directed Superintendent Markey to begin the process.
The meeting was called to order at 6:00 p.m.in the West Central Elementary School cafeteria by Board President Paul Anderson.
All board members except Steve Lumbeck and Mike Lenahan were present at roll call.
President Anderson led the audience in the Pledge of Allegiance.
Under Good News Items the following items were highlighted:
- Kenna Armstrong was recognized for being named an Illinois State Scholar.
- Board Member Arnold complimented Mr. Stewart, Miss Cory, and the music students for their outstanding performances at the three concerts. Enrollment in our music programs is increasing.
- Board member Spence complimented the artwork hanging in the hallways.
- The elementary food drive has gotten off to a great start with over 1200 non-perishable food items being collected so far.
- We have 19 families and 44 children enrolled in the Angel Tree program this holiday season.
- In partnership with the Scholastic Book Club, the 4th grade students are collecting pajamas to donate to those in need. Scholastic donates a book for every pair of pajamas collected.
- Freemie Shoemaker received Honorable Mention for the All-Hawkeye Boys Cross Country Team.
- On Saturday, December 9, four members of the FFA competed in the IL State FFA Sales Career Development at Parkland Community College in Champaign. he West Central team, made up of Nicholas Brokaw, Heidi Ford, Colyn Crane and Keaten Blevins, placed 8th out of 15 teams.
- West Central junior football player Jenson Bowman was selected as a First Team Offensive Linemen by the Burlington Hawkeye newspaper.
The agenda was approved with the following addition under discussion items:
- 10B. Business Curriculum/Teacher
The board approved the Consent Agenda. Items approved under the Consent Agenda included the following:
- The minutes of the November 14, 2017, Regular Meeting and Closed Session and
- The November 2017 bills, November 2017 building Activity Account Reports, the November 2017 Treasurer's Report, and review of the District Financial Report.
In other business the board:
- approved the WCHS graduation date as Sunday, May 13, 2018 at 2:00 p.m.
- approved the lease of a John Deere tractor and loader for one year in the amount of $7,000.
- approved the 2017 Tax Levy as presented. This year's tax levy calls for an extension amount of $5,397,963 which is an increase over the 2016 levy extension amount of 4.99%.
- approved the IASB Starting Right: Team Relations Workshop documents which include Board Agreements and Next Steps for Board Improvement.
- approved a Life/Safety Amendment to replace exterior lighting, gym lighting, and phone system at West Central Middle School.
- approved a Life/Safety Amendment to replace north campus exterior lighting and phone system, to replace elementary gym lighting and water fountains, elementary restroom work, and high school courtyard tree removal.
- approved the requests of two student to attend half days second semester in order to pursue dual credit coursework.
- reviewed and heard reports from the building principals as well as a Technology Report from Mrs. Frakes, a report from our District Psychologist and Special Education Director, Shaila Ayer, and a report from Jason Kirby, our Athletic Director.
The following items were also noted:
- Mrs. Lafary informed the board that we have received the Pre-K ECERS scores from the most recent state visit.
- Mrs. Burns noted that disciplinary referral numbers are down.
- Mrs. Frakes informed the board that work on access points will be done over the break.
- Mrs. Ayer informed the board that Abby Hubbard will be job shadowing her.
- Mr. Kirby reported that the high school boys' basketball team earned their first win on Friday, December 8 in overtime and the girls team is playing well.
- Mr. Kirby reported that the 7th grade boys' basketball team earned 2nd place in the Sand Valley Conference tournament, losing by 1 point to Cuba.
The board discussed the need to have a business curriculum and business teacher at the high school and directed Superintendent Markey to post the position to see if we receive any potential candidates.
The board did not hold a closed session.
The board took the following action in regards to personnel:
- approved the requested leave of Tamyra Rankin as WCMS Science teacher,
- approved the employment of Susan Pratt as a long-term substitute for Tamyra Rankin's leave,
- accepted the resignation of Jackie Hennenfent as the WCMS Cheerleading Coach,
- approved the employment of Amy Gipe as the WCMS Cheerleading Coach.
The board was reminded that the next regularly scheduled meeting will be Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at 6:00 p.m. in the West Central Elementary cafeteria.
There being no other business to come before the board, the board adjourned their meeting at 6:31 p.m.