The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.
West Central Board Approves FY18 "Deficit" District Budget
At the August 23rd meeting of the West Central School Board, they approved the Tentative FY18 District Budget and directed Superintendent Markey to place it on public display. The FY18 budget is a deficit budget of $929,704. Of that deficit $343,375 is expenditures for current life safety projects.
This deficit is in part due to the fact that revenue for the life safety projects was received in FY16; however, the work is being completed in FY18.
Funds are available and were designated for these projects. Expenditures will be monitored closely to make every attempt to reduce expenditures and come in under budget.
The meeting was called to order at 6:00 p.m. in the elementary cafeteria by Board President Paul Anderson. All board members were present at roll call except Mike Lenahan. President Anderson then led the audience in the Pledge of Allegiance.
Under Good News items, the following was highlighted:
- The Board gave their appreciation to the Stronghurst Lion's Club for providing eye screenings at our recent Early Childhood screening event. District registration was well attended and many staff assisted with the process.
- Appreciation was given to Eagleview for providing physicals during registration.
- And appreciation was given to the Board of Education for serving lunch to staff on opening day.
- The School District received a $100 donation from the Henderson County Fair Association in appreciation for allowing them to use district facilities for the Henderson County Fair Pageant which was greatly appreciated.
- Received a $100 donation from Virginia Ross to be used toward the purchase of library books.
- The West Central Boosters have created a website and thanked the District for linking the District website to the Booster's website, and
- Mrs. Burns and Mr. Kirby were commended for the way they handled the lightning detector protocol at Meet the Heat Night and a WCMS baseball game.
Items approved under the Consent Agenda included the following:
- the minutes of the July 11, 2017, Regular Meeting and the Closed Session minutes of July 11, 2017
- the minutes of the August 9, 2017, Special Meeting and the Closed Session minutes of August 9, 2017
- all bills as presented as well as several additional bills that were received this week, the District Treasurer's Report as presented.
In other business the board:
- approved the meeting agenda as presented:
- Dr. Donna McCaw was present to present the West Central C.U.S.D. #235 Vision Report as a result of community vision meetings held in each of the district communities.
- appointed Sarah Bigger to the West Central C.U.S.D. #235 Board of Education.
- approved changing the signatory name on the Gerling Scholarship from Lonnie Brent to Paul Anderson
- approved accepting a $5,000 monetary gift from the Twomey Family with gratitude.
- approved the following proposed policy changes to the following board policies as presented on First Reading:
- Policy 2:210 - Organization Board of Education Meeting
- Policy 2:260 - Uniform Grievance Procedure
- Policy 2:220-E3 - Closed Meeting Minutes
- Policy 6:80 - Teaching About Controversial Issues
- Policy 6:210 - Instructional Materials
- Policy 7:275 - Orders to Forgo Life-Sustaining Treatment
- Policy 8:70 - Accommodating Individuals with Disabilities
- board reviewed and heard reports from the building principals; Jason Kirby, Athletic Director; Melinda Frakes, District Technology Coordinator; and Shaila Ayer, Special Education Director.
- heard a report from Superintendent Markey on the opening of the 2017-2018 school year. She reported on the New Teacher Academy and mentors, registration, first day institute, Back to School Night, and the first student attendance days.
The board entered closed session at 7:16 p.m. to discuss matters related to personnel and BOE member appointment. The board exited closed session at 7:34 p.m.
The board took the following action in regards to personnel:
- accepted the intent to retire in FY21 of Melinda Frakes as a teacher and Technology Coordinator
- accepted the intent to retire in FY21 of Chris Singleton as a WCHS social studies teacher
- accepted the intent to retire in FY21 of Lisa Ravenscraft as a WCES elementary teacher
- employed Heather Davis as a full-time District Associate
- employed Becky Johnson as a full-time District Custodian
- approved overload pay for Robert Frank
- approved overload pay for Joseph Hess-Haughey
- approved overload pay for Ryan Muegge
- employed Michael Kelley as a Student Support Specialist
- amended the previous motion for Jeanne Seitz to be employed as a WCHS part-time math teacher to reflect the correct hourly rate
- accepted the resignation of Quinn Leath as the 7th grade boys' basketball coach
- employed Jenny Adair as a WCMS Student Council sponsor
- employed Natalie Ensminger as a WCMS Student Council sponsor
- employed Thomas Williams as a sophomore class sponsor
- employed Robert Fleming as a sophomore class sponsor
- employed Quinn Leath as the 8th grade boys' basketball coach, and
- employed Michael Kelley as the WCHS head boys' basketball coach.
The board was reminded that the next regularly scheduled meeting will be Wednesday, September 27, 2017 at 6:00 p.m. with a Budget Hearing scheduled for 5:30 p.m.
There being no other business to come before the board, they adjourned at 7:43 p.m.