The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.
West Central Board Approves FY 17 Budget
At the regular school board meeting on Sepetember 21, the board reviewed
information pertaining to the District FY17 budget. The board was informed that
the budget is a deficit budget. Following a brief discussion the board approved
the district budget for FY17. Estimated revenue for FY17 excluding Life/Safety
funds is $8,765,555. Estimated expenditures excluding Life/Safety funds are
$9,572,377. The estimated total district fund balances on June 30, 2016
excluding Life/Safety funds is estimated to be approximately $6,466,104.
Before the regular meeting on Wednesday, September 21, 2016, a Public Hearing
for the FY17 District Budget and Regular Board meeting of the West Central
C.U.S.D. #235 Board of Education, the following items took place:
The Public Hearing for the FY17 District Budget was called to order at 5:35 p.m.
in the WCES cafeteria by Board President Lonnie Brent. All board members except
Mr. Lenahan, Mr. Anderson, and Mrs. White were present at roll call.
The board conducted a Public Hearing on the FY17 District budget. There were no
comments offered by any member of the public on the FY17 District budget.
The board adjourned the Public Hearing at 5:36 p.m.
The regular meeting was called to order at 5:37 p.m. in the WCES cafeteria by
Board President Lonnie Brent. All board members except Mr. Lenahan, Mr.
Anderson, and Mrs. White were present at roll call. Mrs. White entered at 5:45
p.m., and Mr. Anderson entered at 7:20 p.m.
President Brent led the audience in the Pledge of Allegiance.
Under Good News Items the following items were highlighted:
- The board awarded the WC #235 Board of Education Academic Excellence Award to
the following students: Class of 2017 Madison Benge, Kamryn Endress, Ashley
Gyovai; Class of 2018 Kenna Armstrong, Shepherd Coventon, Emilee Landers, Grace
Meyer, Victoria Olson, Gabrielle Tharp; Class of 2019 Bradon Annegers, Kaari
Durr, Jacob Keever, Molly Parsons, Jenna Robertson, Aryanna Westfall, and
- The board recognized the West Central Heat Football Team for being awarded the
FM95 Hometown Heroes of the Week.
- Hot 97.3 will broadcast live from the West Central High School Homecoming
football game on Friday, September 23, 2016. They will also be handing out
prizes and collecting nonperishable food items.
- The board approved the meeting agenda as presented.
- The board approved the Consent Agenda. Items approved under the Consent Agenda
included the following:
- The minutes of the August 11, 2016, Special Meeting and Closed Session,
- The minutes of the August 17, 2016, Regular Meeting,
- The August 2016 bills, the August 2016 building Activity Account Reports, the
August 2016 Treasurer s Report, and review of the District Financial Report,
- Approval of the 2016-2017 Application for Recognition of Schools,
- Approval to continue the elementary After School Assistance Program,
- Approval to pay stipends for SIP team members,
- Approval to pay stipends for RtI team members, and
- Approval of Intergovernmental Agreement with Delebar CTE System.( The board
approved the following Proposed Board Policy Revisions on Second Reading:
- Policy 2:200: Types of School Board Meetings
- Policy 2:220-E2: Motion to
Adjourn to Closed Meeting,
- Policy 4:170: Safety,
- Policy 5:90: Abused and
Neglected Child Reporting,
- Policy 5:100: Staff Development Program,
- Policy 6:15: School Accountability,
- Policy 6:50: School Wellness,
- Policy 6:60: Curriculum
- Policy 6:160: English Learners; Renamed,
- Policy 6:320: High School
Credit for Proficiency,
- Policy 7:50: School Admissions and Transfers To and
From Non-District Schools,
- Policy 7:100: Health, Eye, and Dental Examinations;
Immunization; and Exclusion of Students,
- Policy 7:130: Student Rights and
- Policy 7:140: Search and Seizure,
- Policy 7:290: Suicide and
Depression Awareness and Prevention,
- Policy 7:300: Extracurricular Activities,
- Policy 7:305: Student Athlete Concussions and Head Injuries,
- Policy 7:340:
- Policy 8:30: Visitors to and Conduct on School Property.
The board approved a Resolution Authorizing and Directing the Sale and
Conveyance of four lots in Stronghurst, IL. The Notice of Sale will be placed in
the Oquawka Current and the Henderson County Quill.
The board reviewed and heard reports from the building
principals as well as a Technology Report from Mrs. Frakes, a report from our
District Psychologist and Special Education Director, Shaila Ayers, and a report
from Jason Kirby, our Athletic Director.