The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.
West Central Board Approves Band And Choir Trip For Students
At the regular meeting of the West Central school board on Wednesday, October
19th, the board approved a WCHS Band and Choir trip to Orlando, FL during the
summer of 2018 as presented. The students will be provided the opportunity to
perform in Orlando Fest.
At the , 2016, regular board meeting of the West Central C.U.S.D. #235 Board of
Education, the following items took place:
All board members were present at roll call and President Lonnie Brent led the
audience in the Pledge of Allegiance.
Under Good News Items the following items were highlighted:
- West Central Elementary Principals Kathy Lafary and Joe Pilger shared a brief
video and presentation on Response to Intervention at the elementary, also
called What I Need (WIN) Time.
- The Board of Education and Superintendent Markey congratulated and presented the
West Central Early Childhood Staff the Silver Circle of Quality Award.
- Board Member Buss acknowledged the quality of the band and the enthusiastic
atmosphere at the football games this season.
- Mrs. Freitag had a baby girl.
- Some bus drivers have commented to a board member about the great teamwork of
the three administrative offices working together when handling bus issues.
- Colin Rothzen, a former West Central bowler, went on to bowl for McKendree
University. The McKendree University bowling team won the National Collegiate
Championship last April.
The meeting agenda was approved as presented.
The board approved the consent agenda. Items approved under the consent agenda
included the following:
- The minutes of the September 21, 2016 FY17 District Budget Hearing
- The minutes of the September 21, 2016, Regular Meeting and Closed Session
- The minutes of the October 6, 2016, Special Meeting and Closed Session
- The September 2016 bills, September 2016 building Activity Account Reports, the
September 2016 Treasurer s Report, and review of the District Financial Report.
In other business the board:
- approved a 7th grade math/science field trip to St. Louis, MO as
- approved changing the signatory names on the West Central High School bank
accounts as presented.
- approved the establishment of the Jon Guyton Memorial Scouting Scholarship as
- approved the FY16 District audit report as presented. We thanked the District
office staff Nancy Clark, Shelly Nelson, and Jaime Shultz for their work to
ensure accurate record keeping.
- approved a request from Darrell Gittings to allow the West Central High School
FFA to attend the National FFA Convention in Indianapolis, IN.
- approved the agreement to use Tombstone Bowl in Monmouth, IL as the bowling
facility for the West Central High School Bowling team as presented.
- approved the request of a student to attend half days second semester as
- approved the request of a student to graduate early as presented.
- discussed the sale of four District lots in Stronghurst. The District received
- reviewed and heard reports from the building principals as well as a Technology
Report from Mrs. Frakes, a report from our District Psychologist and Special
Education Director, Shaila Ayers, and a report from Jason Kirby, our Athletic
- Mrs. Lafary updated the board on changes to routes that are happening on a
fairly frequent basis due to the limited number of bus drivers.
- The middle school held a Pink Out Night at the girls basketball game. They
raised $200 and donated it to Relay for Life.
- The high school band performed for the elementary PBIS reward party, and they
received many compliments.
- We have 11 staff members who have committed to Google I training.
- We have three new technology team members.
- Our volleyball team finished the regular season 17-1 0 and 7-3 in the
conference. They start regional play next week.
- Brent Nichols finished 39th at state in golf.
- discussed a variety of options with regard to the Media facility. They directed
Superintendent Markey to further explore two of the options and present them to
the board in November.
- discussed selling the two modular buildings at the North campus in Biggsville.
- discussed the district fundraising policy. The policy will be revised to state
that any group or organization who has a paid or volunteer sponsor or coach must
adhere to the district fundraising policy. This policy will be revised and
presented for first reading in November.
- offering an SAT prep class similar to the ACT prep class last year.
- Mr. Jason Kirby presented and reviewed the proposed Concussion Management Plan
with the board.
The board entered closed session at 8:00 p.m. to discuss matters related to
students, personnel and contract. The board exited closed session at 8:35 p.m.
The board took the following action in regards to personnel:
- employed Sergio Arteaga as a long-term substitute to cover a maternity leave
- approved Jessica Winters as a WCES After School Homework Assistance.
The board was reminded that the next regularly scheduled meeting will be
Tuesday, November 15, 2016 at 6:00 p.m. in the West Central Elementary
There being no other business to come before the board, the board adjourned
their meeting at 8:35 p.m.