The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.
West Central Discusses Finances And Potential Impact Of State Budget Impasse
The West Central School board met on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 where they discussed District finances and the potential impact of the state budget impasse. Superintendent Markey indicated that as of May 31, 2016, revenue received was at 95.7% of budget and that expenditures were at 80.3% of budget. The board was informed that as of June 29, 2016, the State of Illinois owed District #235 $159,243.
The following items took also took place:
The Public Hearing on the Amended FY16 District budget was called to order at 6:00 p.m. in the West Central Elementary School cafeteria by Board President Lonnie Brent.
All board members with the exception of Dale Buss and Kathy White were present at roll call.
The board conducted a Public Hearing on the FY16 Amended District budget. There were no comments offered by any member of the public on the Amended FY16 District budget. The Public Hearing was adjourned at 6:01 p.m., and the regular board meeting convened.
President Brent led the audience in the Pledge of Allegiance.
Under Good News Items the following items were highlighted:
- West Central C.U.S.D. #235 received the designation of "Meets Requirements" with a total score of 4 in implementing all requirements of IDEA. This is the highest rating a school can receive.
- Kami Endress and Sam Wolf will be participating in a student led Legislative Round Table on Tuesday, July 12, 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. The Legislative Round Table will be held at the Fusion Theater in Monmouth and will be broadcast live on WAIK1590. Students will communicate the impact legislative issues have on our students and schools.
- Ten elementary students had perfect attendance during the school year. Cameron Shutwell has had perfect attendance three years in a row.
- One hundred and fifty elementary students have participated in the Summer Reading Program through the Henderson County Library.
- The FOCC is offering a summer meal program for West Central students.
- The agenda was approved with one additional item added:
Item XIII.A.3 - Sara Fitzgerald, WCMS Math Teacher resignation.
There were no comments from the public.
The board approved the consent agenda. Items approved under the consent agenda included the following:
- the minutes of the May 17, 2016 Special Meeting, the May 18, 2016, Regular Meeting and Closed Session, and the May 26, 2016 Special Meeting and Closed Session,
- the May 2016 bills, May 2016 building Activity Account Reports, the May 2016 Treasurer's Report, and review of the District Financial Snapshot,
- the Final 2015-2016 School Year Calendar,
- the June 2016, Prevailing Wage Resolution and Wage Rates,
- milk and bread bids,
- the use of the Bank of Stronghurst for the WCES, WCMS and WCHS Activity Accounts,
- the continued use of Precision Photo Imaging as the School Photographer,
- the Amended FY16 District Budget,
- the list of Board meeting times, dates, and place for July 2016 through June 2018, and
- the agreement with McDonough District Hospital for the Student Random Drug Testing Program for 2016-2017 school year.
In other business the board:
- approved the renewal quote for the District Property and Liability Insurance Package with Unland Insurance. Premiums will increase by $5,373 for the year.
- approved a change order for general plumbing work within the District.
- approved Certificates of Payment for general plumbing work being completed at both campuses.
- approved an agreement with Oaklane Nursing Home regarding a CNA course. The agreement is contingent upon finding a qualified instructor.
- discussed hosting the back to school lunch for teachers again on August 15, 2016. The board agreed to host this luncheon.
- discussed the process of applying for and obtaining a waiver for the physical education requirement for special circumstances that fall under an allowable purpose under the law.
- heard an update from Superintendent Markey regarding ongoing projects in the buildings.
- discussed selling four district-owned lots in Stronghurst.
The board entered closed session at 6:55 p.m. to discuss matters related to personnel and contract. The board exited closed session at 7:25 p.m.
The board took the following action in regards to personnel:
- accepted the intent to retire of Connie Booton as a Pre-K Associate
- accepted the resignation of Jeremy Laird as a WCMS Associate
- accepted the resignation of Sara Fitzgerald as a WCMS Math Teacher
- approved the employment of Amanda McClay as an Early Childhood Teacher
- approved the employment of Shaila Ayer as the District School Psychologist/Special Education Coordinator
- approved the employment of Kortni Canty as a WCES Title I Associate
- approved the resignation of Kris Judd as the WCMS 8th grade Girls' Basketball Coach
- approved the employment of Jason Kilburn as the WCHS Head Girls' Basketball Coach
- approved the employment of Robert Flemming as the WCHS Science Club Sponsor
- approved the employment of Julie Nutt as the WCHS Art Club Sponsor,
- approved the employment of Darrell Gittings as the WCHS Senior Class Sponsor
- approved the Exempt Staff Salaries for 2016-2017
The board was reminded that the next regularly scheduled meeting will be Wednesday, July 20, 2016 at 6:00 p.m. in the West Central Elementary cafeteria. A Special Meeting to include an Employee Tuition Waiver Public Hearing and a Physical Education Waiver Public Hearing will be held on Monday, July 18, 2016.
There being no other business to come before the board, the board adjourned their meeting at 7:35 p.m.