The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.
West Central Board Sets Graduation Date
The board approved the WCHS graduation date as Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 2:00 p.m.
at the Wednesday, December 16, 2015, regular board meeting of the West Central
C.U.S.D. #235 Board of Education.
The meeting was called to order at 6:00 p.m.in the West Central Elementary
School cafeteria by Board President Lonnie Brent with all board members present.
President Brent led the audience in the Pledge of Allegiance.
Under Good News Items the following items were highlighted:
- Five Illinois State Scholars were recognized from West Central. These students
included: Somer Hill, Mallory Lafary, Dakota Parks, Hannah Parsons, and Audrey
- The WCMS Speech Team was recognized for their accomplishments this year.
- The elementary winter music concerts were a huge success with over 1,000
people in attendance for these events. Mr. Buss reiterated that the performances
were well done.
- The Pre-K Parent night was an informative and enjoyable evening.
- Elementary students in PE have been participating in a skating unit, which
allows them an opportunity to learn a new skill or practice one that they have
- At this time, the elementary, along with our local Girl Scout troops, are
collecting canned food items as well as hats and mittens for students in our
school and surrounding areas.
- Elementary teachers are volunteering to present at the weekly teachers
meetings. These presentations have been valuable to other staff members.
- Sam Wolf, junior, participated in One Family, One Purpose.
PARCC Results and Life/Safety Projects were approved as additions under
The board approved the Consent Agenda. Items approved under the Consent Agenda
included the following:
- The minutes of the November 17, 2015, Regular Meeting and Closed Session
- The minutes of the November 24, 2015, Special Meeting and Closed Session
- The November 2015 bills, November 2015 building Activity Account Reports, the
November 2015 Treasurer s Report, and review of the District Financial Report.
In other business the board:
- approved the establishment of The Mary Bulen and Wes Long Scholarships.
- tabled action on an IMRF Resolution.
- approved the FY15 Tax Levy. This year s tax levy calls for an extension
amount of $4,889,413 which is an increase over the 2014 levy extension amount of
- approved changes to the high school science course sequence.
- reviewed and heard reports from the building principals and from Ben Rees,
our Athletic Director. They reviewed a Technology Report from Mrs. Frakes and a
report from our District Psychologist and Special Education Director, Nancy
- heard and discussed a presentation from Mrs. Alexander regarding the
implementation of a Work Study Program. This will be added as an action item at
the January board meeting.
- heard and discussed a request from the Athletic Boosters to host an Alumni
Basketball Tournament. This will be added as an action item at the January board
- discussed replacing the roof on the modular classrooms at the high school.
- discussed the option of purchasing a backup generator for the heating
- Superintendent Markey updated the board with regard to the boiler
certification at the Media building.
- Superintendent Markey presented a summary of the PARCC results.
- Superintendent Markey updated the board on the status of life/safety
The board entered closed session at 8:35 p.m. to discuss matters related to
personnel and contract. The board exited closed session at 9:16 p.m.
The board took the following action in regards to personnel:
- employed Amanda Mooney as a District Bus Driver for the 2015-2016 school
year pending all pre-employment requirements,
- approved the Superintendent Performance Goals.
The board was reminded that the next regularly scheduled meeting will be
Wednesday, January 20, 2015 at 6:00 p.m. in the West Central Elementary
There being no other business to come before the board, the board adjourned
their meeting at 9:17 p.m. p.m.